Talk

Advanced search

To give out a late invitation?

(14 Posts)
Ismeyes Wed 08-Jun-11 20:56:30

I gave out the invitations to DD's party just over a week ago. They are in reception and I'm still getting used to all the names. I forgot to put one girl on the invitation list and now that I have realised I feel terrible about it. They give out invitations in bookbags, but they all talk about their parties, so she probably knows she hasn't had an invitation. I don't have any limit on numbers because it is in a church hall. AIBU to offer a late invitation? Would you be offended as a parent? I'm worried they will just think it is because I'm trying to make up numbers and they are second choice, but I just made a mistake!

pigletmania Wed 08-Jun-11 20:59:51

I would offer a late invite, better late than never I say and just explain why.

Paschaelina Wed 08-Jun-11 21:00:25

Can you get the teacher to point out the mum if you don't know her already, and hand her the invitation personally explaining exactly what you said here? I'm sure she'll understand.

thirtysomething Wed 08-Jun-11 21:01:05

You could always mutter something about finding it in the bottom of DS' bag or something. I think the mother would just be pleased that her DD isn't left out (or I know I would be in her shoes). If she takes it personally that's her choice really, but I definitely think it's not too late to invite the little girl.

SloganLogan Wed 08-Jun-11 21:03:53

Yes, give out the late invitation and say you're really sorry and don't know how you overlooked this person. Much better than she thinks there was no intention to invite her, or inviting her late with no explanation which makes it seem like someone else dropped out and she was a "further down the list" choice.

Booandpops Wed 08-Jun-11 21:05:03

Would just invite. I've found invites when the bloody party has been and gone. Now that's annoying!

Chrysanthemum5 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:08:28

Give the invite. If you feel strange about it just say you found it at home and realised it hadn't been given out. Or just be honest the other mum will probably just be pleased her dd is invited.

Ismeyes Wed 08-Jun-11 21:12:54

I'm going to be so embarrassed, I'm not good at these social things hence why I'm so mortified!

Hulababy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:18:01

Yes, give out the late invite. Just explain to mum that the invitation somehow didn't go out with the others and you have only just realised.

Ismeyes Wed 08-Jun-11 21:27:01

Arrrgggh! Just went to write out the invite so that I could give it late and there are none left!!!! Someone made them for me and they are all gone, this goes from bad to worse! Buggerbuggerbugger.

Henwelly Wed 08-Jun-11 21:31:40

buy a cute little card tomorrow and give it to the mum - explain what happened, im sure she will be fine!

PGTip Wed 08-Jun-11 21:43:38

Have had this happen to me, i just pretended that i'd sent an invite and asked the mother if her DC was coming. When she said she hadn't seen the invite i said something along the lines of "Really, oh i'm glad i asked, can DC come".

Ismeyes Wed 08-Jun-11 21:49:54

I could do that PGTip, that would cover it!

whosthatlady Wed 08-Jun-11 21:58:42

The exact same thing happened to my DS when he was in reception, it was a fairly new class and the mums hadn't got to know each other properly yet. One of the children had a party and the mum invited everyone in the class but left out my DS by mistake! It was only after the party had happened that she realised and came to me and apologised, but I wasn't in the slightest bit offended, it was an easy mistake to make, and I don't think my son had even realised. So don't worry, she'll understand!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now