Talk

Advanced search

to consider taking ds out with chicken pox?

(115 Posts)
LiegeAndLief Wed 08-Jun-11 20:47:00

Genuine question, am prepared to be told IAB outrageously U!

He is covered in spots but completely well in himself and has been bouncing off the walls. There is a playground a short drive from here that is nearly always deserted when we go and any kids there have always been school age. Would it be really bad to drive there during school hours, let him have a run around and jump back in the car in the very unlikely situation that someone turned up? I have no idea if the virus would be shed and stick to playground equipment etc where another child could pick it up.

I know how dangerous chicken pox can be to pregnant women, immunocompromised people etc so really don't want to put him in a situation where he might infect someone, but the selfish bit of me is desperate to get him out of the house!

AlistairSim Wed 08-Jun-11 20:50:01

How long has he had the spots?

Do you have a graden?

When mine had it, I wasn't prepared to take the risk.

freddy05 Wed 08-Jun-11 20:50:13

I feel your pain. Today is the first day I've been out in a week because DD1 had chicken pox. If you can be sure that you won't see anyonelse and you are prepared to not get out of the car if there are other people there then I can't see why not.

Hope he's through it soon

thegruffalosma Wed 08-Jun-11 20:50:32

I wouldn't until they're scabbed over. I've no idea ho long it lives on play equipment but you don't KNOW who will be there. Do you have a garden he cab burn off some energy in?

FreudianSlipper Wed 08-Jun-11 20:50:51

i took ds out to the common he was so bored and needed to run around, he was only poorly for one day and that was 3 days before the spots came out. he hardly had any spots and it is spread around before the spots come out (so he passed it on to his little friends at nursery)

fluffles Wed 08-Jun-11 20:51:28

i wouldn't take him to a playground, but would take him to a wide open space with his own toys or to a woodland or similar.

only cause he can get germs all over the playground from his hands and somebody might just come along right after....

growingstrawberries Wed 08-Jun-11 20:52:44

hpa advice is to stay away for days after the first spot appears.

you don't have to wait until completely scabbed over.

but within that 5 days? I'd stay indoors, tbh (and have done. twice)

growingstrawberries Wed 08-Jun-11 20:53:25

sorry - to stay away for 5 days after spots appear

thelittlefriend Wed 08-Jun-11 20:54:34

like fluffles says a wide open space or a walk in the woods would allow him to burn off some energy.

LiegeAndLief Wed 08-Jun-11 20:55:10

You are all going to laugh at my lack of stamina but yes we have a garden and we've only been in for one day! I think it's more the prospect of the long days stretching ahead that is making me feel panicky.. I also have nearly 2yo dd who is probably worse than him. They will go out in the garden but I have be constantly entertaining them with very exciting games or they come straight in again (and it rained all day today). There isn't really room to have a good run either, although we did play some games that involved lots of running and dancing in the house.

I would definitely not get out of the car if there was anyone there and run straight back if I saw anyone approaching. Can get car very close to playground.

LiegeAndLief Wed 08-Jun-11 20:56:26

Wide open space good idea, could probably manage one of them and then could run away if anyone approached!

streptococcus Wed 08-Jun-11 21:00:32

how many days has he had spots for.... only infectious for first 5 days. You dont need to wait for everyhing to scab. see health protection agency for guidelines - www.hpa.org.uk

MadamMemoo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:01:43

You're being unreasonable and selfish

IHeartKingThistle Wed 08-Jun-11 21:03:29

Last time we had this thread it was a NIGHTMARE...

jellybeans Wed 08-Jun-11 21:05:44

YABVU don't do it!!!

AlistairSim Wed 08-Jun-11 21:08:18

I understand how difficult it is, earlier this yera I had it, then DD then DS.
We were stuck for AGES.
But it really isn't worth the risk.
It's only five days.

BumWiper Wed 08-Jun-11 21:09:34

YABU

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 08-Jun-11 21:12:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LiegeAndLief Wed 08-Jun-11 21:14:16

Fair enough - I know it's selfish as the only way to completely eliminate the risk is to keep him in. I really wasn't sure whether this was a terrible idea or not. Guess most of you think it is, so I won't do it.

AlistairSim, am very relieved that I have already had it so very very unlikely to get it again! Must have been awful being ill and then stuck in for so long.

LiegeAndLief Wed 08-Jun-11 21:15:29

Ironically I am a scientist and spent 2 years working on herpes viruses (same family as chicken pox), and I have no idea!

grumpykat25 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:16:21

I feel your pain. We've been in for DAYS with the pox, and dd feels fine, she had the fever etc way before the spots appeared. We're just charging round the garden and cooking lots of (messy) cakes!

ScarletOHaHa Wed 08-Jun-11 21:19:18

YAB outrageously U! My DC recently had chicken pox and I feel your pain with regards to cabin fever. My close friend's DS had a very severe case including complications of arthritis. I agree with you and think you should stay inside for 5 days.

LittleMissFlustered Wed 08-Jun-11 21:19:29

Bike ride? Non contact and it burns shedloads of energy. Much luck, the pox sucks.

ScarlettIsWalking Wed 08-Jun-11 21:22:03

You don't know who will use it after you! Please don't be so totally selfish.

MmeLindor. Wed 08-Jun-11 21:22:13

Can they run around the garden?

I found that a "how fast can you run around the house" game keeps mine amused for ages, while I man the stop watch and MN

I would not risk a playpark but a wide open space where you are unlikely to run into someone should be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now