Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have submitted 2 fake applications to The New College of Humanities today?

(155 Posts)
ManateeEquineOhara Wed 08-Jun-11 20:33:16

Namely Agnes Nitt and Draco Malfoy.

Am considering doing Bart Simpson in a sec. I hate elitism.

Go for it, Manatee!

BatmanLovesRobin Wed 08-Jun-11 21:11:32

Ooh, Agnes Nitt, nice one.

Maybe a fourth as Edward Cullen?

ManateeEquineOhara Wed 08-Jun-11 21:11:44

I did Maggie Simpson instead. I think 3 applications in one day is enough, possibly a bit obsessive actually smile

lionheart Wed 08-Jun-11 21:17:21

Why?

IDontCaredawntigga Wed 08-Jun-11 21:22:11

Saw that on the Jack of Kent blog - go you!

Please send the following also:

Perdita Nitt
Gytha Ogg
Esmerelda Weatherwax
Prince Kheldar
James Tiberius Kirk
Jean Luc Picard
Marcus Cole

Please add as a special skill Gytha's ability to sing wink and Kirks ability to woo the ladies with a smirk and a lazer grin

MadeMeLolTiggaxx

ManateeEquineOhara Wed 08-Jun-11 21:27:20

Because it has been set up to apparently offer a fantastic education to rival Oxbridge. Only you have to pay £18,000 a year to go there. It is an elitist little hovel and although I know my actions will have no consequence, I feel better for having done so. More on it here educationactivistnetwork.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/new-college-of-the-humanities-boycott/

harpfairy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:30:15

Yes, afraid I think AIBU. I am no great supporter of the New College, but I do wonder why you haven't got anything better to do? You are just making some poor administrator's life a nuisance. It's not like AC Grayling's going to be printing them out himself, is it?

ManateeEquineOhara Wed 08-Jun-11 21:31:15

IDontCare - I would be up all night sending applications for that lot grin

The link to 'apply' is www.nchum.org/application-form - you just need to put something in the starred boxes, anything seems to allow you to continue - fb 'event' about it here - www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135709326504611

harpfairy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:31:26

or YANBU even confused

ManateeEquineOhara Wed 08-Jun-11 21:32:58

You are so right Harpfairy, Grayling will not be looking at them! But as a Uni administrator myself, I do think I am actually making their work life more interesting.

pickgo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:35:29

What do you think their degrees will be worth?

The teaching staff may rival Oxbridge's but the students will be despised as having bought themselves into the place.... but then that may well happen generally now anyway.

English HE may well be a service provided mostly for international students in 5 year's time.

doodledaisy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:37:06

They're University of London degrees, which you can do through their external programme for a lot less than £18K.

youarekidding Wed 08-Jun-11 21:37:12

I think you should do ones as

Jo King
Theresa Green
Tess Coses-Cheaper

etc

The old classics always work ime imo. wink

ManateeEquineOhara Wed 08-Jun-11 21:38:12

I think their degrees will be worth err...£54,000 and very little academically. The application form even says that the personal statement is not compulsory! But it asks how you are going to finance your degree hmm

ManateeEquineOhara Wed 08-Jun-11 21:40:05

Doodledaisy - they are not quite the same, different staff - with NCH you get 14 'celebrity' academics to teach you in the Oxbridge style of learning!

FellatioNelson Wed 08-Jun-11 21:40:56

Elitist little hovel? Compared to most public boarding schools it's a bargain.

thefirstMrsDeVere Wed 08-Jun-11 21:42:16

Please do one for Ophelia Fanny-Pratt.

I have had a horrible evening and you have made me laff.

thebestisyettocome Wed 08-Jun-11 21:45:35

Why do you assume everybody who attends will be rich/elitist? What about people who are happy to take out loans to pay for the course? Haven't they the right to spend their money on the education of their own choosing? I only say this because when I chose to do a post-grad qualification I went to the bank for a loan because my parents couldn't afford the fees. So too did DH. It took us years to clear the repayments but it was worth it. Admittedly I got a financial scholarship which helped but it was a massive sacrifice. More recently I paid to do an MA. Does this make me elitist confused

pooka Wed 08-Jun-11 21:46:08

Perdita Campbell-Black

Audrey Forbes-Hamilton

Harry Flashman

Sebastian Flyte

muminlondon Wed 08-Jun-11 22:18:08

YANBU, you've made laugh.

I don't understand who would pay £18,000 a year for courses ripped off from Goldsmiths, Birkbeck, Royal Holloway, etc. when they wouldn't be eligible for loans either.

smallwhitecat Wed 08-Jun-11 22:22:18

Message withdrawn

thefirstMrsDeVere Wed 08-Jun-11 22:29:03

I think everyone should do their degrees through the OU. Their grant threshold is very generous IMO and even at full price they are cheap (apart from law I think).

Nothing wrong with promoting academic excellence is there? I dont think that is elitist. It CAN be if you tell people its going to cost them 18k.

Its only elitist if there are obstacles like poverty, lack of opportunity etc. Remove them and the only bar is lack of ability.

There is nothing wrong with being nonacademic either.

Waffle.

theinet Wed 08-Jun-11 22:49:13

i went to a private university and paid £10k course fees to do a Masters Degree in the 90's . Took me years to pay the loan back but havent regretted it for a second.

libelulle Wed 08-Jun-11 22:51:28

14 celebrity academics doing one hour-long lecture each a year. And the rest of the courses ripped from the univ of london. Bargain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now