Talk

Advanced search

to want to buy a house without viewing other properties first?

(15 Posts)
sleepymare Wed 08-Jun-11 18:16:57

My DH and I have seen our dream house. We went to view it on Monday and fell in love with it so have arranged a second viewing for this weekend. I was telling my parents all about it this evening and they think we are acting in haste and say we need to view "loads" more houses! Over the past 2 years we've looked at 4 other properties so we have looked IMO. What do other MNetters think? Do you think we'd be stupid to put in an offer without shopping around a bit more?

b1uebells Wed 08-Jun-11 18:18:02

No if you love it go for it!!

AgentZigzag Wed 08-Jun-11 18:19:59

We looked at 3/4 shit ones before we saw this one, have been here 9 years, so it turned out OK.

Go for it, you don't have to do what your parents say smile

BoscosBox Wed 08-Jun-11 18:20:02

Go for it . Good luck

WriterofDreams Wed 08-Jun-11 18:21:13

Is the price reasonable? Is the house structurally sound? Is the area good? If all those are true and you can afford the house then I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. The second viewing will tell you a lot- wait and see if you still feel the same way about it and if you do, off you go!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 08-Jun-11 18:24:06

YANBU. If you know its right, go for it.

SybilBeddows Wed 08-Jun-11 18:25:36

you have looked at other houses. If you hadn't looked at any they would have a point; it is useful to clarify what you want and get a sense of what's out there, but clearly you have done that.

good luck!!!!!

(the only thing I would say is that the market is mostly falling at the moment so you will need to be happy about the idea that it might fall in value over the next few years, but if you are planning to stay for a long time and can afford it, go for it.)

VivaLeBeaver Wed 08-Jun-11 18:30:31

As long as you've looked at others online to get an idea if this house is at a good market price then go for it.

I bought our house, first one we say. We weren't even house hunting but I saw it and loved it. We did race round and look at other houses but even though some were slightly better value on paper by being a bit gigger or a bit cheaper, etc it was still the first one I loved. We moved in 9 weeks later after getting out house on the market and sold in under a week!

Mumwithadragontattoo Wed 08-Jun-11 18:37:27

I would quickly check out other similar houses before your second viewing. I tend to agree with your parents I'm afraid.

Islandlady Wed 08-Jun-11 18:50:48

When we went house hunting on the Isle of Wight we came over for three days.

I found eight properties on the internet and arranged viewings we had one to look at on The Tuesday the day we got here and 7 on the Wednesday.

On Tuesday I saw house details in the window of an Estate Agent that wasnt on our list, when we went to get details we found the garden was very small but the EA gave us details of another house just come back onto the market after a sale fell through we arranged to view it that afternoon.

We saw the first house from my list and then went and viewed the one from the EA.

We fell totally and completly in love with it. Put in an offer the next day and cancelled the 7 other viewings (which I felt a tad guilty about BTW)

Never looked back - it may be more prudent to view lots of houes but you cant ignore the pull on the heart strings

ScarletOHaHa Wed 08-Jun-11 18:51:12

I agree; check out similar properties on rightmove or similar. This will give you an idea of the differences in prices and what is available. We live in the first house we viewed. It was taken off the market and we looked at about 12 others. We decided on the area and limited our search. It all worked out for us. Good luck

sleepymare Wed 08-Jun-11 19:16:30

Thanks everyone for your feedback - We have spent literally hours and hours looking at houses on the Internet so I think it's fair to say we've considered a fair few others! Think we'll just go for the 2nd viewing and take it from there. We really do lve it though and it is practical size-wise and in a good area, good price etc

grovel Wed 08-Jun-11 19:19:44

BUY IT.

hildathebuilder Wed 08-Jun-11 19:22:00

well I would go for it. we viewed 3 properties before the house I live in. I didn't fall in love with this house but it ticked all the boxes, and my husband and I knew that we wanted a house in one of three streets.

I have lived here now for three years. Its the best thing we ever did and nothing even remotely close has been on the market since.

Also check out the local market for asking prices. We bid the full asking price on this and again its the best thing we ever did. We knew we wanted the house and messing about on the price could easily have meant we lost it. Not all areas have falling house prices and it was only because other people thought the market was falling (incorrectly for my area) we got the house. It was revalued at £45k higher when we remortagegd last year. We don't care about that though as I don't plan to move.

maighdlin Wed 08-Jun-11 19:22:16

i think with houses you know when you have found it. no real explanations needed you just know and it could be the 1st house you look at or the 100th.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now