Talk

Advanced search

...to think it's a bit disingenuous

(7 Posts)
OTheHugeManatee Wed 08-Jun-11 17:57:21

...to flame people for using 'lol' and 'hun' and 'lil' and posting without paragraphs or punctuation, but then to get all precious and 'how could you' when someone posts using the word 'chav' in a derogatory way?

Isn't flaming a chav writing style just a way of encouraging chavs to naff off to NM post elsewhere, without admitting that that's what you're doing?

<dons tin hat>
<awaits flaming>

fedupofnamechanging Wed 08-Jun-11 18:02:28

I think you are probably right, but I dislike 'lol' and 'lil', if used too often and would prefer it if those posters stopped using them on MN. End justifies the means?

Mind you, I use the word 'chav' quite freely and ignore people who get all precious about it, on the grounds that people choose to be chavvy. It's not like they are born that way and have no choice.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Wed 08-Jun-11 18:05:05

I agree OP! grin LOL hun!

cloudydays Wed 08-Jun-11 18:16:07

I agree wholeheartedly. It doesn't annoy me when people start threads about hating textspeak (I hate it too) and the erosion of the English language etc. etc.

But I think it's plain bullying to pick apart another poster's grammar and use of language right on the thread. I'd rather read clumsy sentences and text speak than grammatically correct meanspiritedness any day.

thegruffalosma Wed 08-Jun-11 20:29:01

I do think it's funny how some people on here rip the piss out of Netmums and their hugz. I've seen lots of 'unmumsnetty' hugs on here but for some reason when you're on here you have to maintain the image of having a heart of stone.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 08-Jun-11 20:58:13

Is it a heart of stone? Or just avoiding sentimental schmaltz?

But I must admit, I dislike all the lol and txtspk. But then, I am an old fart.

thegruffalosma Wed 08-Jun-11 21:13:32

I think so. It's like - 'we don't hug'. Why? Sometimes it's what people need. You shouldn't have to excuse yourself first. Doesn't make it any less sentimental.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: