Talk

Advanced search

to be peeved when people ask me if the reason I now work part time following ds

(14 Posts)
mickb Wed 08-Jun-11 15:29:05

is because "I couldn't cope" with f/t work? An answer of "no I just wanted to spend more time with him" seems to elicit surprised reactions. Also most seem to think that having only one child is not a good enough reason to work part time. Maybe its just me being sensitive and needing to grow a rather tougher skin...ho hum.

TechLovingDad Wed 08-Jun-11 15:32:18

oh ignore them, they hope it's because you couldn't cope as they are idiots.

opinions are like arseholes, we all have them and most are full of shit.

mollymole Wed 08-Jun-11 15:47:15

it is because they are jealous of you -
just say - 'oh I am so lucky that my husband earns enough that I can choose the hours I work' (even if its' not quite true)
or say
'its because i am capable of making my own choices'

plantsitter Wed 08-Jun-11 15:52:03

This assumes FT work is harder than PT... which it certainly isn't IME.

rookiemater Wed 08-Jun-11 17:08:03

You could just say,ooh I do work f/t as once I have finished in my paid employment I entertain an energetic xx year old, cook nutritious meals and make sure our house doesn't turn into a pig sty, if anything it's a more than f/t job

SardineQueen Wed 08-Jun-11 17:16:30

How strange.

Just give them a look. Like this hmm

grin

LineRunner Wed 08-Jun-11 17:20:03

Who are these nosey bastards? Tell them to fuck off and mind their own business. Seriously.

ASByatt Wed 08-Jun-11 17:22:51

Or you could say, "No that's not the reason why, although of course I understand if it is/was like that for some people......." and look at them in an irritatingly kind and supportive manner......

- Which isn't at all a judgement on how people choose to work or parent, just that I feel they are out of order for being judgemental!

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 08-Jun-11 17:22:59

YABU... and sensitive. People are simply trying to empathise and whilst they may not be phrasing it exactly the way you would like, that's no reason to take it quite so much to heart.

ElizabethDarcy Wed 08-Jun-11 17:26:58

Your answer?

'because I choose to work part time'.

People are so bluddy nosey.

Insomnia11 Wed 08-Jun-11 17:32:13

I only had kids so I could have maternity leave and Fridays 'off' grin

Maggie1973 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:02:23

I work part-time because it is MY choice. I work with other mums who work full-time and if they do make any comments i just smile because i know they're jealous. I also know mums who once worked p/t and have now gone f/t and wish they hadn't. Don't let their comments get you down because it's really none of their business.

kerala Wed 08-Jun-11 18:21:55

Whatever you do will be seen as wrong in someones eyes. Back to work full time? Hardnosed baby abandoning witch. Stay at home mum? Pathetic, career limiting bad example to your children scrounger. You really can't win so dont even try.

darleneoconnor Wed 08-Jun-11 19:46:55

I founf ft work much easier with 1 child than pt work, fwiw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: