Talk

Advanced search

to be feeling sick with excitement.....

(22 Posts)
mrsjaja Wed 08-Jun-11 11:24:57

...as my DD (aged 9) is due back from a two night away trip with the school, and i have missed her so much that i am counting hours till i pick her up???

Its the first time she has been away from us this long (only child) and although it has been nice to have some "us" time, DH and I both say it has just felt all wrong, her not being here.

Things have been a bit dodgy between me and her (she is definitely pre-menstrual, bless her) and i just hope the couple of days with no contact has made her miss us too.

Am i a saddo, or do all other mums feel this way??

ExitPursuedByAKitten Wed 08-Jun-11 11:26:34

Jon the club. When DD (now 11) first went away without me I felt quite light headed the whole time. Enjoy her return home.

paranoid2 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:30:58

No you are not alone. My DT's went away last year for 2 days when they were 9 . It was the slowest 2 days ever. Their school trip was for 3 days this year and it was even harder. Despite us moaning constantly about wanting peace, there is no pleasure in it. Everything seems out of place. The silence is awful!The last night was the best and we went out for a meal but it was only great because we knew they were coming back the following day.
Waiting for the bus to come over the hill to bring them back was the best bit
Of course they were back about 5 mins and the shouting started again (me mainly)

I think its harder when its an only child or twins as everything changes. You are not left with any form of routine that you would have with other children
Enjoy the homecoming!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 08-Jun-11 11:43:07

Not sad at all... the anticipation is overwhelming, isn't it? grin

Have a lovely reunion with your DD.

jaffacake79 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:45:35

Not sad at all! I get a bit like this when dd's been away at her Dads' for the weekend smile

mrsjaja Wed 08-Jun-11 11:47:57

Am so glad its normal, and im not just being my usual weird self (DD often says i am weird - normally when i am singing and dancing with the hoover!!!!)

Only 3 hrs and 14 minutes to go.

drivinmecrazy Wed 08-Jun-11 11:49:20

DD1 (10) went away to stay with Grandma in Spain for half term holiday (flew unaccompanied so was quite an emotional time for me-not her). We spoke to her every evening and she said she really missed us and even her little sister. Got back Saturday night, and after an emotional reunion at the airport, things returned to normal Sunday, actually worse. Has decided she might like to go to school in Spain now and Grandma cooks better than I do and worst of all we don't have a pool shock.
Moral of this tale is enjoy the anticipation of your prodigal child returning to the nest but expect normal relations to resume within 24 hours grin
(Speaking as another Mum of an emotional pre-teen bundle of joy)

CurrySpice Wed 08-Jun-11 11:52:37

TBH I think it's a bit bonkers but if that's how you feel then enjoy your reunion!

CurrySpice Wed 08-Jun-11 11:53:13

And I've just seen the 3 hours 14 minutes bit and rolled my eyes to be honest!

Buda Wed 08-Jun-11 11:55:06

I feel the same when my DS is away. And usually DH manages to be away too for one of the nights. Love the idea of the house and tv to myself but the reality is too weird!

ExitPursuedByAKitten Wed 08-Jun-11 11:55:35

Jon blush I meant join of course.

mrsjaja Wed 08-Jun-11 12:06:07

I hope it was rolled eyes in sorry amusement CurrySpice.

And I am sure hostilities will be resumed quickly DrivinMeCrazy.

When she stays with her Granma (just overnight) she rings us to say goodnight, and again at 8am (agreed time) next day to say good morning, but they were not allowed to take any mobile phone/MP3 etc, and there are no phones for the children to use, so it has truly been no contact for the last 3 days.

And ExitPursuedByAKitten - i am happy to join the club....

insertfunnynicknamehere Wed 08-Jun-11 12:23:12

My DS 5 went to school this morning and left his two toy dogs, one large one slightly smaller, hugging each other on the table. He said they are hugging just like we do...Every time I see it, I want to go get him and hug him all day. YANBU. If I cant manage a cupla hours, then I cant imagine two days...

Never missed your kid*curryspice*?

CurrySpice Wed 08-Jun-11 12:23:19

I think it's a bit OTT (and maybe a tiny bit sad) to be counting the minutes tbh. Sorry, just not how I feel. I miss the kids of course when they are away but I don't dwell on it

mrsjaja Wed 08-Jun-11 12:49:29

insertfunnynicknamehere that is so cute. I used to have to feed Baby Annabel, and change her etc when DD first started school.

When she is off with my mum i dont dwell on it, but tbh i think it is because it is the first time she has properly been away on her own.

And i am excited to see her and hear about all the exciting things she has done.

And as for counting the time, well i just looked at the clock and put what i saw, i havent exactly counted every hour.....(that would be a big bit sad, even for me)

cannydoit Wed 08-Jun-11 13:00:59

i always get a bit worried about this, dont miss my kids when they are away at all. did when they were very little and i knew they needed me i went on hols but now they are all a bit older not really.

CurrySpice Wed 08-Jun-11 13:29:00

insertfunnynicknamehere of course I miss them. Ths isn't a competition about who loves their kids the most. I just don't "count the hours" or feel sick with excitement about seeing them again

OP when you said in your first post you were counting the hours I assumed you were...erm...counting the hours!! grin

mrsjaja Wed 08-Jun-11 19:10:28

I just meant that it was today IFYSWIM, and then added the 3hrs 14 mins as i had looked at the clock.

Of course it isnt a competition about loving our kids, and i guess the sick with excitement was a bit crazy, but as it was the first time she had been away "on her own" i was a bit on edge.

But she is home, all bright and bubbly and has had a fabulous time that i know i wont ever have to worry about it again. Next time i'll just be able to relax a bit more about it. (Will still miss her though!)

Andrewofgg Wed 08-Jun-11 19:45:03

The point will come when you look forward to her being away, and it won't mean you don't love her!

mrsjaja Wed 08-Jun-11 21:26:57

Oh i know that. Its just so quiet when she's not here! And if im honest, there are times when i wish my mum would phone and offer to have her for the night because she can be so full on sometimes, but i wouldnt really change a thing.

herbietea Wed 08-Jun-11 21:33:50

Message withdrawn

mrsjaja Thu 09-Jun-11 10:00:37

That made me laugh out loud Herbieta. Funny....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now