Talk

Advanced search

To think my career coulld have been more successful...

(7 Posts)
NorksAreMessy Tue 07-Jun-11 23:06:34

..if I hadn't gone to grammar school (1000 years ago), but I was really too thick for it and kept getting pushed into subjects I couldn't do (like history and physics) and not allowed to do the things I am now very good at ( art and textiles).

Did anyone else make a wrong turn early in life that has made a difference now? Would you go back and do it again?

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 07-Jun-11 23:22:39

What career are you pursuing now, and what is stopping you from switching to an occupation that you have a passion for?

quiddity Tue 07-Jun-11 23:23:17

I chose the wrong subject to do at university—I chose something because it was a challenge, only to realise it was of no practical use. I ended up in a field that is intellectually rewarding but pays peanuts...as far as I can see I will never be able to retire (especially as I'm in a country where I won;t qualify for an old age pension).

nijinsky Tue 07-Jun-11 23:25:25

I think your mistake in life (if you have made one) is to have let what you studied at school take the blame for what you have done or not done with the rest of your life...

Kiwiinkits Wed 08-Jun-11 01:06:54

Norks I just read about your job in the other thread... sounds like you aren't unsuccessful at all.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 08-Jun-11 01:29:32

If your work is intellectually rewarding, presumably that gives you a sense of personal fulfillment? Are you saying that you would be prepared to trade that for material success?

Or do you believe that if you had chosen arts over science you would be better renumerated for your work, and would be more fulfilled on a personal level?

Have you considered marketing your talent for art/textiles to supplement your present income?

NorksAreMessy Wed 08-Jun-11 06:52:07

Aha, izzy, that is exactly what I do!
And nijinsky you are right, I suppose

But I look back now and I am ally loving the bit of my life that is creative, and wonder if I have wasted years and years trying to do something for which I don't have much skill.

Perhaps I should look at it that I am lucky to have found the thing I am good at AT LAST! actually, that is just what I should do. Thanks MNetters. I will have another little chunter about this to myself with your comments in mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now