Talk

Advanced search

To think that this doctor should not have conducted this conversation on a train?

(12 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:42:00

I was getting the train home from work earlier, during rush hour. A guy sat opposite me and proceeded to make a phone call. He called someone and asked for the person by name, then gave his name, Dr Something or other. He explained that he was Dr So and so and he had received her phone message and apologised for the delay in getting back to her. He did also say that he was on a train so it may be noisy. He then proceeded to talk to the patient about results of a recent scan, talked about his concerns, or lack of, and mentioned the hospital in question. His reception cut out about 5 times (tunnels will do that and there are loads on a particular stretch of this journey and it is renowned for having poor reception). Each time he lost signal he called her back straight away and he did this about 4/5 times. It was incredibly irritating to have to listen to so I can't begin to imagine how annoying it must have been for the person on the other end of the phone. I couldn't help but hear the entire conversation. He waffled a lot and seemed to be keeping the conversation going un-neccesarily. I kept wondering why he didn't just explain that he had poor reception and tell her he would call her back (when he wasn't on a train) at a more appropriate time to arrange "next steps". At one point he even talked to the patient about seeing him privately and gave a rundown of his fees.

I don't understand why anyone would attempt to conduct a professional phone call in these circumstances. I most certainly would not expect to receive a phone call from my doctor to talk to me about results of a recent scan on a busy train. And repeatedly call me back, ad nauseum, when his phone signal failed.

So, is this a sign of the times, and even doctors have to grab every free minute they get? Or was this completely and utterly unprofessional?

MmeBlueberry Tue 07-Jun-11 22:44:25

Maybe he was just pretending to be a doctor for the kudos he would get from his eavesdropping fellow-passengers.

Doha Tue 07-Jun-11 22:49:32

I would guess that this guy was a phoney. Probably just wanted to look important. He was probably talking to the speaking clock or dial tone.

Thingumy Tue 07-Jun-11 22:52:26

I reckon he is a 'special doctor' to his partner

Punkatheart Tue 07-Jun-11 22:53:51

A doctor using a mobile and 'selling' his services to an NHS patient? Unlikely. Sounds like a Billy Liar scenario - he is getting a kick out of being important.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 07-Jun-11 22:54:15

It was all code for sex antics

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 07-Jun-11 22:54:44

Aw damn Thingumy you beat me! I was thinking it's a saucy game he and the missus play when he is on his way home!!

LaurieFairyCake Tue 07-Jun-11 22:54:52

Or he fancied you and wanted to impress you

Sassybeast Tue 07-Jun-11 22:55:21

Aww bless 'pats OP on head'

He was just pretending wink

katvond Tue 07-Jun-11 23:09:37

Serves you right listening to other people's conversations
Youve been had OP

loftyjen Tue 07-Jun-11 23:14:35

If he named the hospital, I'd write to the Patient Advocacy and Liason Service within it naming the Dr and describing what you overheard - as a nurse I see this as a breach of the patients confidentiality (might have been a longshot, but their neighbour could have been sat opposite for all he knew), and think the Dr should be warned that this isn't appropriate.

SingingSands Tue 07-Jun-11 23:19:37

Methinks he was pretending. Livening up his sad little day. Aw.

Years ago, something similar happened in a train carriage I was in ... the guy waffled on for ages, sounded very important and boss, then his phone RANG. Oh how we all laughed! It was an express train too so he had to sit red-faced all the way to the end of the line!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now