Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to use mumsnet for present-buying advice

(24 Posts)
zialovesesteban Tue 07-Jun-11 20:28:57

MIL's 60th birthday is now less than a week away and every time I try to speak to DH about it he just shrugs his shoulders. I don't think they want to make a big fuss about the birthday but we still need to get her something decent. She's not into clothes or jewellery or house-stuff or music or cooking or films. In fact the list of things she's not into is endless. She doesn't have any hobbies. She likes to watch sport on tv. I'm starting to get stressed about it and it's not even my mum. I thought if other people could tell me what they got for their mums'/MIL's 60th it might give me some inspiration.

cantpooinpeace Tue 07-Jun-11 20:30:25

Tickets to see Eric Clapton smile

cjbartlett Tue 07-Jun-11 20:31:26

Digital photo frame
clock
picture
vase

Punkatheart Tue 07-Jun-11 20:32:46

Oh dear. Tickets to a sporting event? Or is she more of a couch potato. How about food - not cooking - but something really nice to eat. Or just take her out for a good meal..

She sounds a little depressive - if you don't mind me saying. How about books?

Finallyspring Tue 07-Jun-11 20:37:09

Tickets for something ? Musical ? Concert ? Sports event ? Plus a meal somewhere nice. Or, one of those 'experience' type things-balloon ride, spa visit.

OR one of those things you can make with photos now. Eg. bag, canvas picture,poster etc. with a picture of you all.

LillyTheMinx Tue 07-Jun-11 20:41:13

Boring idea I know,but what about a weekend of pampering with overnight stay and champagne breakfast?

Where do you live?...what about afternoon tea at the Ritz or something?

atswimtwolengths Tue 07-Jun-11 20:43:26

How much do you want to spend?

tassisssss Tue 07-Jun-11 20:45:03

nice wooden bench or swing seat for garden?

khaleesi Tue 07-Jun-11 20:50:21

oh dear, is there ANYTHING she likes? :P

khaleesi Tue 07-Jun-11 20:52:32

Personalized family photo album? won't be very expensive and it could be a nice keepsake

zialovesesteban Tue 07-Jun-11 20:53:14

We don't have a lot to spend, were thinking of £60.

BeeLister Tue 07-Jun-11 21:23:42

Collect together lots of family photos from over the years and have a photo box type album/book made up. They are fab.

We gave my mum a digital photo frame that we had set up for her with family photos, for her 70th.

We have also done a group photo of all the grandchildren together and put it into a silver frame.

Are there any sporting events you could get her tickets for?

A special rose bush?

Does she like champagne? Maybe a magnum bottle of champers?

Or, could you throw her a surprise party? Doesn't have to be big, jus some friends/family. Everyone could bring food to contribute.

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 07-Jun-11 21:34:48

what are her likes and dislikes

zialovesesteban Tue 07-Jun-11 22:15:15

She likes to read and to watch sport on tv - tennis, football, snooker. She enjoys eating out as well.

khaleesi Tue 07-Jun-11 22:18:13

if she likes eating out it might be worth getting her a tastecard membership - check the list of restaurants and if any of her favourites are on the list it might be a great gift -

https://www.tasteuk.co.uk/ssl/purchase_join_gift.php

khaleesi Tue 07-Jun-11 22:18:43

sorry bad link. here is a good one

zialovesesteban Wed 08-Jun-11 12:58:09

Thanks for the suggestion Khaleesi, I'll check it out.

itisnearlysummer Wed 08-Jun-11 14:14:10

My mum sounds very similar to yours - few likes, an infinite number of dislikes.

For her 60th she asked us for an electric tin opener.

So she got one.

Orbinator Wed 08-Jun-11 14:20:39

Can you still get Wimbledon tickets? Maybe that could be an idea. Gourmet Card is also an option like TasteCard I think, you can get good deals on Groupon where it's £25 or something for a year and you get around 20-50% off on many restaurants including a few high street regulars too smile

Orbinator Wed 08-Jun-11 14:22:16

Gourmet Society is what I meant. Here's the link to their main site but as I said, check out Groupon and other discount/voucher places before paying full whack...

www.gourmetsociety.co.uk/

Orbinator Wed 08-Jun-11 14:27:47

Forget the Wimbledon idea...I just looked up prices and nearly snorted my coffee through my nose. I'll just stick to enjoying the strawberries meant for Wimbledon that we've got in our local M&S because they ripened too early [Grin]

Oh and I didn't realise you have to enter member number for GS card - Cafe Rouge @ 50% off was the one I used most and it was worth it just for that IMO smile

jojodancer Wed 08-Jun-11 14:38:44

We bought my mum an iPod for her 60th.

In the running was a hot air balloon ride, glad we chose the iPod in the end though as she has since said she really wouldn't want a hot air balloon ride!

MackerelOfFact Wed 08-Jun-11 14:49:17

Team up with a sibling and get her a Kindle? My mum is in her 50s and loves hers, and we recently jointly bought one for my aunt's 60th too - she loves it as well.

Or else maybe a small original framed painting?

sancerrre Wed 08-Jun-11 14:54:13

photo montage on canvas of DS
lime tree
river lunch cruise
wine / choc tasting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now