Talk

Advanced search

To think that children in 21st century UK should not be living like this?

(243 Posts)
mrspear Tue 07-Jun-11 19:58:08

See this report from the BBC

Apologies if this has already been mentioned

GypsyMoth Tue 07-Jun-11 20:04:29

should not.....no,but why are they?

even the lowest income,benefits,allows for a decent standard of living.

squeakytoy Tue 07-Jun-11 20:08:12

I agree with Tiffany. There is not enough information in that article to explain the circumstances.

GypsyMoth Tue 07-Jun-11 20:09:13

inadequate housing i guess

diabolo Tue 07-Jun-11 20:09:16

No one on housing benefit should have to live in sub-standard accommodation.

I've been flamed a number of times on here for saying that most children living in poverty in the UK, do so because of parental neglect. But I firmly ( and I work in a sink estate school) believe that I am right.

I don't think benefits provide a "decent" standard of living by any means, but enough to feed, clothe and wash your children - as long as the money is spent where it should be and not in betting shops, on scratch-cards and booze.

I know a lot on MNers either don't agree, or don't like to hear it, but there are a lot of "poor" parents out there, who do not spend the little money they have, on the right things for their children.

EldonAve Tue 07-Jun-11 20:11:17

can't comment on the poor quality housing - a job for the local environmental health

GypsyMoth Tue 07-Jun-11 20:11:24

i agree diablo....i'm on benefits,and have a good amount left over each week for saving etc,BUT i'm good at budgeting and bettering ourselves. and making the best of what i have.

catwhiskers10 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:12:38

No, they should not be living like this but as ilovetiffany said, why are they?
Perhaps the dampness is beyond the families control but For a child not to have at least one set of decent (needn't be expensive) clothes is ridiculous. And in this day and age in the uk there is no need (or should be no need) for anyone to go hungry.
I do wonder what the parents are spending their money on in cases like this.

zukiecat Tue 07-Jun-11 20:15:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Tue 07-Jun-11 20:16:28

but there are a lot of "poor" parents out there, who do not spend the little money they have, on the right things for their children

I 100% agree with that.

The benefits system in this country is generous in comparison to almost every other country in the world, and there is no reason why any child should live in squalor or poverty. The blame lies squarely with the parents if they do.

Housing is, to a certain extent beyond the parents' control, but food and clothing is cheap in the UK and no child should go hungry or not have adequate clothing.

Chummybud1 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:18:16

I agree it all depends on what the parent spends the money, however I have seen children living in very poor accommodation, nothing the parents can do about it, which is completely different to kids going to school with ripped trousers or holey shoes is down to parents, especially when trousers can be bought for a couple of quid. As for kids having to miss meals that too is a joke, no kid should have to miss meals, again it depends on how and what products are bought. Think the bigger picture needs to be looked at here. Benefits especially child tax credit and child benefit is enough to feed and clothe a child, maybe not with the best but better than nothing. I do however think there are kids in Britain living in poverty and these kids should be helped. If a parent chooses to spend the money wrongly such as on booze and cigarettes then it's neglect. The parent should then receive food and clothing vouchers instead of cash.

maypole1 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:19:23

Well then their parents should not let them I always said with primark and sports and direct no child should. Be poorly clothed damp is down to bad housing poor clothing is down to poor parenting

I wonder if these parents smoke and dink if so how much stuff can you buy from prim ark with £20

The thing I feel sorry for is that these children have poor parents benefits leave you with enough to feed and cloth your child sometimes they get more than working people

They know they are not working they choose to have children they know what type of accommodation they are likely to get yet they choose to have children, I suggest this is not the governments issue

Had my child at 16 he was never with out outfits or shoes o went hungry earned £100 a week

Chummybud1 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:19:40

Benefits should only be enough to live, going out, boozing and smoking are luxories. Benefits however should mean equality for children

maypole1 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:22:19

Squkeytoy well thats when ss step in then usually you will have the poor parent on nm moaning how their being picked on by ss, read one yesterday were a mum was moaning that sw were picking on her school reported her because her children smelt and were always dirty.

squeakytoy Tue 07-Jun-11 20:23:49

Benefits are only enough to live on for most, but there are parents who dont give a shit about their kids, and rather than spend the money wisely, will use it to fund their booze and cigarettes. sad

I agree, vouchers should be given, like ration books, and shops fined if they allow the vouchers to be used by anyone other than the person named on them, or for anything other than food/toiletries.

Even then though, there would still be a black market where people would get their shopping then sell it to someone to fund their drink/drug habits. No system will ever be perfect.

littleducks Tue 07-Jun-11 20:23:58

So this 'BBC news story' is basically an ad for a programme: 'Poor Kids is on BBC One, 7 June 2235 BST.'

I think i will watch to see if the poverty is due to circumstances or self inflicted, as it is impossible to say from info given so far.

maypole1 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:24:54

Chummy bud it will never happen you cannot ledger slate. For bad or lazy parents who use having children as a cash cow and a way to sit on their

mollymole Tue 07-Jun-11 20:25:08

there are all too many parents who are feckless and have no intention of putting anyone before what they want for themselves and no amount of 'parenting classes' or ' budgeting advice' will help this and I do not know the answer to this - food and clothing vouchers may help but I feel that they would just be sold for below the face value in order to get cash to spend on what they actually want to buy, not what needs to be bought, and 1 of our local shops will let people use milk tokens to buy cigs/alcohol etc
- NOT our local Co oP though, the ladies there are great at out facing the 'coupon dodgers'

MotherSnacker Tue 07-Jun-11 20:25:10

Poor housing is beyond the parents control. Lack of social housing and the high cost of private renting mean a lot of kids are growing up in substandard homes.

Benefits pay enough to feed and clothe kids if you are sensible. Occasionally there could be issues that make this difficult though.

GypsyMoth Tue 07-Jun-11 20:25:34

families with kids get more help than anyone (those on benefits)

milk/fruit/veg tokens
eligible for interestfree budgeting loan
cold weather payments of £25 weekly if temp goes below zero
free school meals
heavily subsidised school trips
school uniform grants (some areas)
housing benefit
council tax benefit if on IS etc
free degree with OU!

the housing problem is the main one as far as i can see

maypole1 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:26:40

Yes their is a prefect system once your child is at school take a job or starve if you choose to starve good luck but we will be taking your kids plenty in the uk and on nm who can't have kids

MilaMae Tue 07-Jun-11 20:27:37

I read an article this week re kids in poverty and fags were mentioned.From what I understand from friends giving up due to cost they're hellish expensive £7 a pack?????

If couples are smoking a pack a day thats a hell of a lot of money a week.I find it heartbreaking that couples would rather smoke their money away than buy their kids a decent meal or clothes.

I agree with the last poster.If it's proved that families are spending money on fags and booze instead of food/clothes for kids it is neglect and their benefits should be in food vouchers.I just can't see any other way in which kids can stay with their parents and not suffer from hunger or the cold.

maypole1 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:30:04

Even then you would get them swapping them for juicy tracksuits and 10 b&h

diabolo Tue 07-Jun-11 20:33:31

Given what I said earlier, I am not having a go at all parents who are on benefit - the vast majority (my own parents and my own childhood included), do the right thing by their kids.

But some don't - and there should be some way of controlling this so that children do not have to live in poverty.

MilaMae Tue 07-Jun-11 20:34:08

They could rig up a bar code system ie they have a card used in conjunction with vouchers(like a supermarket loyalty card).Card with photo and voucher have to match when swiped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now