Talk

Advanced search

To still say I'm busy Friday, when I'm not?

(10 Posts)
Lorenz Tue 07-Jun-11 14:49:25

Since I got a car my mum and grandma are always asking me to take them places, some are pretty far away and cost a bit it petrol. Besides the money though (to be fair, my mum does offer petrol money but I refuse) it's the time. Like this week I'm just finishing off my college course, I was at college all yesterday, today I'm getting my last assignment finished, tomorow the assignment is due in so I'm there tomorow with said assignment, thursday I'm going out to lunch and Friday I was just looking forward to a day at home on my own relaxing without the kids before the weekend.
Anyway my mum asked me if I'd take her up to the other side of the city Friday. I initially agreed but then said I might not be able to as I'm hoping to get a hair appointment before weekend and Friday is the only day I have left. She was fine with it and said she'll just get the bus. Anyway my hair appointment is actually tomorow evening now so Friday is free again.

AIBU to want to keep Friday free???

MissPenteuth Tue 07-Jun-11 14:51:04

Why not just be honest with them and say you've been busy all week and want to take it easy on Friday? Surely they'd understand.

UC Tue 07-Jun-11 14:55:09

No!! YANBU

PatriciatheStripper Tue 07-Jun-11 15:13:10

Just leave it. She can get there by bus and has said she is happy to do so, so no need to put yourself out.

If she lived out in the sticks, where it can be hard for people to get about without a car, I would feel differently, but as it is, no biggie.

LindyHemming Tue 07-Jun-11 15:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lorenz Tue 07-Jun-11 17:39:19

Yes Euphemia, I totally agree!

They have no idea how stressful driving is. It's like one time I was driving through a very, very busy little town square and my grandma was like "oh find somewhere to park whilst I pop these into the charity shop" you could barely move, nevermind park!

Or one time on the motorway coming out of sheffield I realised I'd made a wrong turn and my mum was like "you're going the wrong way!!! we need to turn around!!! are you going to turn around?? " YES BUT NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING MOTORWAY WE DON'T!!!! Christ on a bike.

Jaspants Tue 07-Jun-11 17:50:11

YANBU - my Mum is like this - she's lovely but doesn't drive so has no concept of the fact that me driving 5 miles to her baker to pick up her bread, then 4 miles to her house to drop it off and then the 9 miles back home again takes up best part of two hours and I would really rather not do it just cos Dad wants to play golf and she won't keep bread in the freezer.

TheMonster Tue 07-Jun-11 17:51:40

Non-drivers don't realise the costs either.

kaj32 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:12:01

I'm a non driver and I'm aware of both the level of concentration, the cost and how much of a pain in the arse parking etc are.

They are the main reasons i refuse to drive.

And generally i don't ask for lifts either as not driving is my choice ;)

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 07-Jun-11 23:06:58

YANBU. I have seen situations where friends have started taking their relatives shopping to a certain place for a favour. After a while it gets taken for granted and when they wanted to stop or have a week off, then the relatives get upset and tell them they are letting them down. It really is best not to get into that kind of situation in the first place.

I wouldn't mention anything at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: