Talk

Advanced search

to ignore fathers day

(7 Posts)
mattsmadmum Tue 07-Jun-11 13:22:01

dh dead/as are both grandfathers/only male left lives in usa. plan a picnic in park with dc as not sure what else to do. any other ideas

CareyFakes Tue 07-Jun-11 13:22:59

DD doesn't have a 'dad' and her father has never met or shown any interest in her, we don't celebrate it. Just another normal Sunday.

emptyshell Tue 07-Jun-11 13:26:57

I got all the way through childhood without a dad - it wasn't a big deal unless it was made one. As for how YOU deal with it that's more of an issue - my approach for Mothers Day this year was to avoid FB (lots of my friends have me hidden from mummy status updates anyway because they know my background and the pain it's caused), take a strategic detour around Tesco involving the newspapers, sandwiches, interior furnishings and videogames to arrive at the lettuce department having escaped the aisle of Mothers Day tat and then hibernation for the actual day itself.

You may wish to avoid the Mission Impossible/Father Ted Priests In The Lingere Department-esque lengths I went to for Mothers Day avoidance.

You can also pass the day complaining about misplaced apostrophes on greetings cards - that numbs things somewhat as well.

kisschase Tue 07-Jun-11 13:30:28

I'd like to ignore it - my "lovely Dad" is a highly aggressive alcoholic with NPD. But every year my mum puts the guilt on, so we have to spend Sunday all together, playing happy families - i.e I have to walk on egg shells all day, watch what I say, be careful what I wear, what I eat, how I breath . . . . . .
I am dreading it.
Have a lovely relaxing picinic in the park or if it rains, get a silly DVD lots of muchies and just enjoy being together.

somewherewest Tue 07-Jun-11 13:30:32

No..

I grew up in a country that doesn't celebrate Father's/Mother's Day and still haven't got used to the big deal people in the UK make of these chance for retailers to guilt trip you into buying more crap no one really wants or needs special family celebrations. You don't have to celebrate it if you don't want to.

mattsmadmum Tue 07-Jun-11 13:41:24

thks all feel much better its so kind of you all

mattsmadmum Tue 07-Jun-11 13:43:47

dread the school gate pick up. get there with seconds to spare.really bitchy, i prefer to stand outside pretending to fiddle with my pram,so bad ds often meets me half way up street. i just hate it and in mornings he goes in on his own as i will no longer do it.how can i be more confident i am super shy and feel a fool

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now