Talk

Advanced search

to want to sodding scream with frustration

(22 Posts)
Zimm Tue 07-Jun-11 09:57:54

Trying to get dd down for a nap. For an over an hour she has been either refusing to lie down as she has just learnt to pull up or lying down and screaming. I am so fucked off with being held hostage to baby sleep whims.

ooohyouareawfulbutilikeyou Tue 07-Jun-11 09:59:35

how old is she

nethunsreject Tue 07-Jun-11 09:59:37

Stick her in the buggy and go for a walk?
It is frustrating, yes. sad

shakey1500 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:00:47

YANBU for wanting to scream. How old is she? I remember when ds was giving up naps, was a nightmare. Can you take her for a walk in the pram/pushchair round the block to get her off? I used to walk MILES.

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Tue 07-Jun-11 10:01:59

I'd just put her down and leave her for a bit tbh, she might be over tired.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 07-Jun-11 10:03:19

What sometimes worked for us was to get the baby up and play for a bit. This calmed everyone down and then when I put them down again they would forget they didn't want to sleep and then go off.

Punkatheart Tue 07-Jun-11 10:07:57

I used to put the hoover on with my DD. But I didn't actually DO any hoovering - that would be too virtuous. I had a cup of tea and watched her eyes get heavy. She loved the hoover.

Zimm Tue 07-Jun-11 10:10:51

10 months. Have now left room, will return if she cries as am not a CIO/CC fan. Buggy would work but trying to wean her off buggy naps as she starts nursery soon. How the hell do the fussy nappers cope at nursery?????

Tortu Tue 07-Jun-11 10:12:22

Ahhhh (typing as my baby sleeps), the 9.30ish nap? I'm so pathetically lazy about battling with my boy to sleep during the day, that I spend most of each day wandering around. Yesterday I went to the Tate Britain.

Yeah, I know that I'm basically being a 'reverse prisoner' and can't stay in my own home, but I just find it so, so much easier to do what he wants and wander round letting him look at stuff until he falls asleep quietly. As a bonus, I've lost most of my baby weight due to my pacing of the streets.

Have bought a National trust card as he settles better in country homes than anywhere else and there is always a quiet tea shop for me. Otherwise, living in London, I just get on the tube and go to a museum. The V and A is his favourite (shiny things, constrasting fabrics and lots of retired people to admire him), but the Tate Modern was a disaster (loud, too much colour and he hated Bacon).

'spose there's always Gina Ford <hanging head in shame>

Good luck and I feel your pain.

nethunsreject Tue 07-Jun-11 10:13:31

Don't worry about nursery - you won't be there and they are little angels for other people anyway! Just stick her in the buggy and walk. You'll feel better too.

Btw, at my pal's nursery, they take the babies for a stroll in the buggy if they can't settle.

Tortu Tue 07-Jun-11 10:13:50

Quick, grab a coffee and breakfast and stare into space for a bit (my favourite baby-napping activity). Plus, MN.

Zimm Tue 07-Jun-11 10:14:27

Tortu - I too have lost loads of weight wheeling her about - but it has to stop here! I am returning to work soon.

Rats she is starting to grizzle. Even feckin feeding her to sleep failed....

shakey1500 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:20:25

I almost bought a mileometre for when I used to trawl the streets with ds, just to show dh how much I'd walked. Wind, rain, hail, shine. Eventually I had to accept he'd given them up extremely early. The plus side was he was shattered come 5.30pm. Ooooh how I clock watched in them days! He's still an early to bedder at the age of almost 4, so much so, he'll head up himself before 7pm smile

This too will pass...feel your frustration though.

Punkatheart Tue 07-Jun-11 10:20:27

Tortu - your baby loves country houses but hates Francis Bacon? Obviously prefers the high life to the bohemian life. There's a members' room at the top of Tate Modern - lots of mums take their babies - lovely view of the dimpled Thames.

Music? It helped me to calm down and my DD...

Zimm Tue 07-Jun-11 10:42:56

aaaa she is asleep. Second feed to sleep worked. She obviously working on crawling and thinks nap time is the ideal time to practice! 1 hour and twenty minute to get to sleep...and she'll prob wake up in half an hour.

I suppose they must all learn to sleep at nursery eventually.

shakey - yes she is an early bedder due to a max of 2 hours daytime sleep most days - she's often out by 6.15pm, does 12 hours with 1-2 wakings so at least ours nights are ok.

DoMeDon Tue 07-Jun-11 10:47:03

Leaving a baby to settle for a few minutes is not CIO or CC. They are sleep training methods. I imagine your nursery will leave her to it for a while, maybe you could try the same?

VeronicaCake Tue 07-Jun-11 11:15:26

I agree with DoMeDon that a few minutes of tired grizzling is not the same as CIO. Around 10-11m DD started to settle by herself in the cot in the day time but sometimes, especially if she is really tired, she will sob for a couple of minutes first.

And don't worry about nursery. DD settles absolutely beautifully for her Dad and for the childminder, probably because she realises there is no chance either of them will breastfeed her to sleep!

Hatescolds Tue 07-Jun-11 13:24:56

Have a nightmare sleeper here ( she's 11 months ) and yet nursery have always been able to get her to nap.
Sometimes up to 2 hours, unheard of at home!

iamaLeafontheWind Tue 07-Jun-11 13:41:03

My DD's first report from nursery state how pleased they were that she knew when it was nap time, took her teddy & went to sleep. I was convinced they had given me the wrong child's report. 18 months of her being bloody awkward for me!

iamaLeafontheWind Tue 07-Jun-11 13:43:57

I asked what their secret was - apparently they stroke the child's nose if they really can't get to sleep. hmm

thelittlefriend Tue 07-Jun-11 13:46:10

Tortu great post - love it that your baby is experiencing so much culture.

Op, I felt just the same when my dd was 10 months. Oh the hours I spent traipsing the streets in the pouring rain to get her to sleep. She dropped the am nap not long after. I would have that scream if I were you (maybe in to a pillow). Sorry to be of no help

valiumredhead Tue 07-Jun-11 13:49:27

I agree with leaving a baby to grizzle a bit at that age to settle themselves, 10/15 mins is fine in my book.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: