Talk

Advanced search

TO HIGHL ARE THEY with you?IGHT...One for the drivers. POTHOLES were said today to be still a big problem

(18 Posts)
ScousyFogarty Tue 07-Jun-11 09:56:15

POTHOLES? Not being a current driver I thought they would be all filled in by now. Whats the problem? Shortage of money or something else?

How is it on your driving route?

ScousyFogarty Tue 07-Jun-11 09:57:46

Missing word in headline is HIGHLIGHT

BornInAfrica Tue 07-Jun-11 09:58:32

<<rolls eyes and reaches for 'hide' button>>

Hassled Tue 07-Jun-11 10:00:16

Desperate. Some time ago someone came along with a pot of yellow paint and painted a circle around each pothole - I can't work out whether it was to show the Council bods where to fix or to alert the public to the holes. But one road now looks like a badly drawn series of Venn Diagrams.

Thingumy Tue 07-Jun-11 10:00:24

Maybe you could ask your local highway dept?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-Jun-11 10:01:25

But if there were no potholes, Scousy, where would you live? biscuit

GypsyMoth Tue 07-Jun-11 10:02:49

filling them in isnt 'fixing' them though.....its only a very,very temporary measure

the filled in bits crack,leaving the problem as it was,so is it fixed? no,just a bodge job

and then once the bad weather returns,they ice over....ice expands....MORE cracks= BIGGER potholes

our roads are badly designed and poorly maintained

cookcleanerchaufferetc Tue 07-Jun-11 10:02:51

When a pothole is reported to the council it is marked and should be filled.

Let's get everyone in the country to identfiy ten potholes to their council!

There are some shockers round here .... we're lucky we dont get ducks in them when it rains!

Thingumy Tue 07-Jun-11 10:06:42

They aren't essentially badly designed,they aren't 'fixed' by your local council anymore- the work is farmed out to contractors with the lowest prices.

Councils are cutting corners and instead of resurfacing where needed,they are doing patch up jobs of shit standard.

ScousyFogarty Tue 07-Jun-11 10:07:51

some very good amusing posts. Yes, Tiffany, the filling in will be a temp measure.

I could do the job of marking the potholes. (and let Cogitol fill them in)

THINGUMY..the local media have already done the story. THINK NATIONAL, you Mumsnet bounder.....

Thingumy Tue 07-Jun-11 10:10:10

hmm

To complain about the potholes in your local area-you need to report to your local highways division.

Moaning on mumsnet won't suddenly solve it.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 07-Jun-11 10:17:41

Inconvenient and damaging for car drivers and their cars - yes.

I am a cyclist and a pothole will probably result in my death (she said cheerily).

Local council couldn't give a shit - I've tried.

It makes me so angrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy.

Thanks - all better now.

Paschaelina Tue 07-Jun-11 10:20:00

My council have just resurfaced my dodgy old track so no more complaints here for a while.

Thingumy Tue 07-Jun-11 10:20:29

ooopsa

have you reported here?

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 07-Jun-11 10:20:50

www.fixmystreet.com

If you report it, the council then cannot claim ignorance of the problem ...

Ooopsadaisy Tue 07-Jun-11 10:27:10

Thingumy - thank you for that. I haven't, actually, but my whole local road network is balanced precariously on huge craters that will one day collapse and we will sink into a mysterious underworld.

I have, however, invited my local councillors out on a bike ride with me.

Strangely, I received no RSVP.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 07-Jun-11 10:40:06

This poor man survived two tours in Afhganistan only to get mown down by a truck (not the driver's fault) trying to avoid a pothole.

They're pretty dreadful around our way, but seem to be getting a bit better in our council's area - neighbouring ones are dire.

Pedallleur Tue 07-Jun-11 10:44:56

There is a now a minimum depth they have to be before they get fixed. www.fillthat hole.com is another site I think. Budget cuts means councils are now failing in their responsibility to repair the roads. The roads that motorists pay £50 billion per year towards maintaining

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: