Talk

Advanced search

To be really embarrassed at this

(8 Posts)
whatever17 Tue 07-Jun-11 02:18:35

I was at my Dad's work the other day and spoke to one of the gardeners. Dad works near his home and the man in question sometimes chats to my mum.

Anyway I said to him "FirstName, do you do any private gardening? My front garden is in a tangle and I think you could possibly sort it in a couple of hours, if you would like to?" he said he did, I asked the price and we set a date.

He turned up at the set date and I greeted him, offered him a hot or cold drink and then showed him what I thought were the problems, which were all in the front garden.

I asked if he would like me to show him the back garden. We then went into the back garden. He saw DS1 (20) who stood up and shook his hand and then "Brian" said - do you have any other children, who lives here? I said - well - DS1 who you have just met and DS2 who is in his room playing with his friend and there is the dog. That's us.

We then went back into the front garden and i said - here's the roses blah, blah. And he said - I live in blah blah. I said - oh, really, i thought you lived near blah blah.

Then he said "Don't you have any personal interest in me at al FirstName? I did give you my card"

I said "sorry, i just read the mobile number off it and then texted you for gardening".

I just felt dreadful and realised that - no, I had no personal interest in him at all. I was blushing and everything.

Polkadott Tue 07-Jun-11 02:56:47

I would be too, but i think it's more misunderstanding on his part.

"You could sort my front garden out in a couple of hours" did make me laugh though.

whatever17 Tue 07-Jun-11 04:00:00

Polka - maybe that's where I went wrong!

happymole Tue 07-Jun-11 06:55:49

Definitely think he thought you wanted him to sort out your lady garden. Poor guy was probably gutted when you showed him the rose bush grin

FlubbaBubba Tue 07-Jun-11 07:00:45

rofl

great start to my morning reading grin

iwasyoungonce Tue 07-Jun-11 07:02:02

I don't really get it? Was it:

a) that he had mistakenly thought you were interested in him (as in you wanted a date) and then realised you weren't

or

b) he was miffed that you hadn't asked about his home/ family etc, when he had politely asked about yours?

Besom Tue 07-Jun-11 07:10:31

This isn't your fault though - he's a gardener and you asked if he could do your garden.

If he fancied you then good for him for asking you but he shouldn't have assumed that you did.

LynetteScavo Tue 07-Jun-11 07:24:40

I with iwasyoungonce .

Although the 2nd paragraph was a bit arf....but he is a gardener.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: