Talk

Advanced search

Did I overreact?

(19 Posts)
TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 06-Jun-11 23:50:06

Just moved to new area with just dd, newly single blah blah.

No probs at all since we moved in on Wednesday night until tonight. About half an hour ago or so, people, I think two women and a man screaming at each other in the street. I don't mean a heated exchange after a few too many in the pub (and it IS Monday ffs!) but literally screaming, running up and down the street, bouncing off cars etc. I admit I did get a little bit panicky and rang the police. The non-emergency number obviously. Can't help feeling now as if I was a bit OTT and am a tad embarassed and yet on the other hand i'm nervous that they will somehow know it was me and i'm a bit intimidated to go out back for a cig!

I should have just ignored it shouldn't I? confused

Alambil Mon 06-Jun-11 23:53:21

why would you ignore it? Best scenario, you helped. Worst scenario, you rang a non-emergency number with a report of disturbance.... they may or may not send anyone out to look at it.

I've called the police 2 or 3 times since living here (opposite a pub) - I used 999.

Not ashamed or embarrassed; sometimes, they need to be called. That is why they are there in the first place!

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 06-Jun-11 23:55:51

I think it is more that I feel a little intimidated now. How unfeminist but feck that I did feel scared! Seemed that lots and lots of other people were looking out of their windows and a couple of men did stand by their gates but did nothing and it seems only I did confused

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 06-Jun-11 23:55:57

You did the right thing, so don't feel bad. If it's nothing, no harm done. If it's something more you will have helped. They have no reason to think it was you, so don't worry!

Birdsgottafly Mon 06-Jun-11 23:57:10

Drunken behaviour has a tendancy to get out of hand, so no you did the right thing. Bouncing off cars can cause criminal damage, as well as the anti social nature of late night noise. If people were watching, they won't know were the complaint has come from.

In terms of it being a Monday night, i've always worked weekends and Tuesday used to be my night out but we went into the city centre away from residential areas we wanted a 'mad' one.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 06-Jun-11 23:58:30

Yes you are all right, I am being a bit over emotional I suppose with current circumstances. Hope they don't post dog crap through my letter box tomorrow shock

worraliberty Tue 07-Jun-11 00:00:40

I would have called 999 for that to be honest.

Don't feel intimidated. I rang the police last month when a cab driver was being attacked outside my house by 2 teenagers and a screaming banshee of a woman. I couldn't go out there with 2 kids in bed and my DH on night shift.

I told the police not to knock and they took my details over the phone so I could make a statement the next day.

MadamDeathstare Tue 07-Jun-11 00:00:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 07-Jun-11 00:05:00

Well on a slightly cheerier hmm note, I plucked up the balls to go out for a cig and enjoyed listening to the neighbours having sex in what can only be described as some kind of farm hand/cow giving birth/farm animal noises scenario. Interesting!

bbbbob Tue 07-Jun-11 00:07:30

I think you did the right thing.

I called the non emergency number when there were some teens outside my house shouting and screaming.

Before the police came I went out to nicely tell them to shut the fuck up and one of the lads came at me with a bottle shock

Luckily the police arrived and they were great. They allowed me to rant at the 14year old shit for a good 10mins, everytime the 14yr old tried to say something they told him to shut it and let the lady speak I was very pleased to be called a lady

Hope you're ok.

SpeedyGonzalez Tue 07-Jun-11 00:08:34

Good Lord, where on earth have you moved to?? grin

Glad you're okay now.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 07-Jun-11 00:09:48

I know it sounds like I am a character in Shameless. Quite a decent area really aside from screeching drunk twunts and farm animal sex neighbours grin

RCToday Tue 07-Jun-11 00:11:10

I lived in a block with a tiny courtyard, one night a man and woman started having a row, it got out of hand and he punched her, I called the police but they didnt come out
I met the lady a few days later and she wouldnt even look at me
It happened again a few weeks later and I called the police again, this time they came and arrested the man
The lady called to my flat with flowers to thank me and we are still friends now
She says she would never have got away on her own
OP you did the right thing

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 07-Jun-11 00:11:14

Wow- your neighbourhood sounds colourful! grin Glad you are feeling a bit less shaky.

mrsmcv Tue 07-Jun-11 00:12:23

you've done the right thing, you don't know what was happening, could have been owt. Not hard to go to a pub, get blind drunk and go home without waking the neighbours is it? Get them told off.

God, I'd love to go to a pub on a monday night, p'raps not that one though!

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 07-Jun-11 00:13:58

It is my own fault. Parents called round earlier for first time to see house etc. and I sat there all smug in the garden saying oh yah yah it's so quiet, so lovely, such deliiiightful folks round here mummy and papa hmm. That'll teach me!

stickylittlefingers Tue 07-Jun-11 00:16:44

think of it as great material for your best-selling novel...

It is intimidating moving to a new area on your own - hope you'll get to know some people soon and feel a bit more settled in. I moved into a new flat a few years ago, which was nice, with some neighbours, who weren't, and remember almost hitting the ceiling in shock when something was shoved noisily through my letter box at 9pm. OMG - it was the free newspaper blush. It's true - people are strange, when you're a stranger.

<Goes away before finding any more deep truths in the musings of J. Morrison...>

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 07-Jun-11 00:58:38

Am now singing the song from the lost boys film....

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 07-Jun-11 00:58:53

(realises this displays lack of intellect...ah well)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: