Advanced search

Posted here, as here seems relevant....

(17 Posts)
colditz Mon 06-Jun-11 23:48:41

support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using%20the%20spell%20checker

AnyFuleKno Tue 07-Jun-11 00:08:17

thnaks! now i cna talk lyke the big boyys and girles

Birdsgottafly Tue 07-Jun-11 00:16:38

Firefox blocks other applications so not everyone has it.

It is the reading skills of the reader that needs working on if they cannot bypass a small mistake. We do not consciously note every letter in the word to process it to make sense. Language is created it doesn't exsist in reality, it can be changed and adapted to suit.

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 07-Jun-11 00:24:08

Then why was your post so hard to read?

colditz Tue 07-Jun-11 00:38:07

It has already been changed and adapted to suit Mumsnet, it's called Standard English.

Birdsgottafly Tue 07-Jun-11 19:00:57

Jareth- what was difficult about it, can you not read AFK post also?

This is an informal chat forum, people should not be excluded if they struggle with English. Unnecessary abbrieviations should be avoided but if a struggling parent needs advice (and some post very stressful situations) then they should not be ridiculed for mistakes and typo's.

Or have i missed the bit that states MN is not inclusive?

colditz Tue 07-Jun-11 19:11:52

It's not mistakes and typos that are causing problems, it is the continuous TXSPK

If you can learn TXSPK then you can learn phonetically correct English, which is all I feel able to ask for in 2011.

scottishmummy Tue 07-Jun-11 19:19:54

this bellyaching about post composition is tiresome
you dont like it?boofuckinhoo
language is fluid and adapts to social nuances (such as txt speak) and since mn is supposed to be informal discursive medium people can and should post as they wish regardless of the lil feetie stampers grumbling

its meant to be on line blah blah.not work.not academia.not important as such

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 07-Jun-11 19:34:28

Thanks colditz. I don't use Firefox, but Opera works similarly. Have changed its dictionary from US to UK English, so now it can stop underlining words that are spelt correctly, goddamit!

katvond Tue 07-Jun-11 19:56:11

As I use MN via my iPhone and iPad I can't use it

CurlyBoy Tue 07-Jun-11 21:02:52

If you own a Mac it automatically checks your spelling no matter where you type.

* smug Mac owner smile *

Birdsgottafly Tue 07-Jun-11 23:22:33

Many with LD's can learn text speak but not phonetically correct English. You can ask for what ever you like in 2011, just don't expect the rest of the world to supply it.

Some of the language used on threads to do with literacy/spelling are very insulting to those with LD's and according to MN talk rules they have a 'low tolerance' towards this, IMO it needs to be applied a bit more often.

I would rather people get support when they need it, rather than be told to go to an adult literacy class or laughed at, as i have recently more frequently seen on here.

scottishmummy Tue 07-Jun-11 23:28:48

tolerance and acceptance of social nuance in 2011, id prioritise that over competitive speling

colditz Wed 08-Jun-11 19:19:21

Birds, do you have anything to back up your opinion that people who have LDs struggle less with texting language than proper English?

colditz Wed 08-Jun-11 19:21:09

And why, if someone can learn to use a complex mobile phone, or use a computer to the standard that enables them to post on forums, can they not install a spell checker and use it?

I know they aren't infallable, but they are better than trying to decipher something so encrypted that you practically have to learn it as a second language.

meditrina Wed 08-Jun-11 19:27:50

MN "house style" does not include text speak.

People should not be rude when they point this out, but pointed out it will be because it is not liked here. This shouldn't impinge on people with LDs as spelling mistakes are generally tolerated.

MN is largely self-moderating, and so users will be the ones to point out infelicities. But to paraphrase MNHQ when they were moderating another thread - if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Birdsgottafly Fri 10-Jun-11 18:38:34

colditz- i said that some with LD's can manage txt speak but not 'proper english' i am just thinking about my own DD's (LD's) and in the case of my younger, her friends (SEN school) and adults with LD's who i support in both of my jobs and previous roles, so i know of many personally. Others find them equally, i do not think that any one should be grouped together including those with LD's. In terms of 'backing up my post' just 27 years in social care and personal experience (i am in my 40's), for you to say that if 'they' can do one then they can do another, is incorrect.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: