Talk

Advanced search

Dp wants to buy a house ,but he says my name can not be addded to the mortgage as I dont earn enough to be considered.

(101 Posts)
bloomsinjune Mon 06-Jun-11 19:56:34

Is he talking crap,or is he right im confused?.

Mutt Mon 06-Jun-11 19:57:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AppleHEAD Mon 06-Jun-11 19:57:55

Talking crap.

tribpot Mon 06-Jun-11 19:58:22

Bollocks to that. My dh is too ill to work, although has a small rental income. He is of course on the mortgage and deeds.

griphook Mon 06-Jun-11 19:58:25

sounds dodgy to me. surely the more you both earn togther the higher amount you can borrow.

Mutt Mon 06-Jun-11 19:58:34

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 06-Jun-11 19:58:34

Yup, he's talking crap.

LadyPeterWimsey Mon 06-Jun-11 19:58:45

I don't earn anything, and my name is jointly on the house deeds.

BehindLockNumberNine Mon 06-Jun-11 19:58:54

He is talking crap.

nobbysnippers Mon 06-Jun-11 19:59:10

This is crap. I pay our mortgage and the entire calculartion was done on MY salary alone. We have the mortgage in joint names. The payment, however, comes from my account.

Batteryhuman Mon 06-Jun-11 19:59:33

Bollox. Why doesn't he want you to be a co-owner?

borderslass Mon 06-Jun-11 19:59:39

I didn't work when we bought our house but both mine and DH's name our on mortgage he's talking out of his arse.

Salmotrutta Mon 06-Jun-11 19:59:48

Well, 30 years ago (I know, I know! grin) I was added to the mortgage even though I wasn't working?
Would think it would be the same now surely especially since you are actually earning? confused

I could be spouting rubbish though..................

MadamDeathstare Mon 06-Jun-11 20:00:25

nobbysnippers Mon 06-Jun-11 20:00:26

You sure he doesnt just mean you wont be figured into the calculation?

laiyan Mon 06-Jun-11 20:00:28

he's talking crap.

if he wanted to be this big an asshole, he should never have married you either.

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Mon 06-Jun-11 20:00:36

Talking crap.

hophophippidtyhop Mon 06-Jun-11 20:00:58

Even if your name isn't on the mortgage, it can be on the deeds for the house - you need to have a joint tenacy so that if one of you dies, the other one automatically inherits the other half of the deeds. Do not have tenants in common.

chicletteeth Mon 06-Jun-11 20:01:40

He's talking crap.
However, single person can borrow more than a couple (3.5x for a single person versus 3 for a couple; these are ballpark figures and will vary per lender) so depending on how little you earn, you could get a mortgage for more money if you just use his salary.

This however, doesn't mean you can be on the mortgage (it just means they don't take into account your income). If you're not on the mortgage, then you can't be on the deeds!

senua Mon 06-Jun-11 20:01:43

Are you talking about :
adding your name to mortgage (debt), or
adding your name to ownership (asset)

The two don't have to be the same.

MarionCole Mon 06-Jun-11 20:01:44

Talking crap. You could get a larger mortgage if you added both of your incomes together.

bloomsinjune Mon 06-Jun-11 20:01:45

I want to be on the house deeds,does that mean we have to get a mortgage together,even though I dont earn alot.

diggingintheribs Mon 06-Jun-11 20:01:54

Isn't there a difference to being part of the mortgage and being on the deeds?

I earn considerably less than DH and my salary made no difference to the amount we could borrow etc but I am both a debtor on the mortgage and an owner on the deeds!

Does he expect your salary to contribute to household expenses (which include mortgage) or are you just going to spend it on handbags? Because if you are contributing you should be on those deeds (especially if you are not married)

squeakytoy Mon 06-Jun-11 20:02:01

Talking utter crap. My DIL wasnt working when her and stepson bought their house. SHe is still on the mortgage.

If you have bad credit then it may make sense for you not to be on the mortgage application, but make sure there is a life insurance policy and a will which leaves it to you in the event of anything happening.

Alternatively, maybe he just wants to buy a property, and doesnt feel you are in a serious enough relationship yet to do this jointly.

chicletteeth Mon 06-Jun-11 20:03:09

Maybe I stand corrected on the deeds thing? I was told you couldn't be on the deeds if the house was mortgaged and you aren't on the mortgage

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: