Talk

Advanced search

so if HALF of those who applied for Olympic tickets missed out, WHY didn't they do it on a one ticket per person basis?

(92 Posts)
FitBlokeFromWork Mon 06-Jun-11 18:37:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

msrisotto Mon 06-Jun-11 18:43:42

I'm grumpy about it too. I couldn't afford to0 apply for loads so was realistic. If everyone had been realistic then more people would have got tickets. It did appear to reward those who took risks.

LeChatRouge Mon 06-Jun-11 18:46:46

Not one single person I know got ANY. My DHs colleague is on one of the Olympic teams and even he didn't get enough for his family to go and watch him!!!! Not fair.

We really wanted to go, is there no other system that would have been fairer?

Pedallleur Mon 06-Jun-11 21:56:56

No there isn't. like all these things the best tickets go the corporate sector and those who have the money. A lot will end up on Ebay or the 'secondary ticket' sites. The poor and the unconnected can just have the crumbs if they are lucky and you can go to the less popular events

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 06-Jun-11 21:59:08

Because nobody wants to go to something like that by themselves, of course.

It is bloody ridiculous though, and I've heard that something like 60% have been sold to corporate buyers

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 06-Jun-11 22:04:34

We applied for £2000 worth and got nothing.

Bil applied for £1500 worth and got one event (I don't think he knows what that will be yet).

Bil is the ONLY person I know who got any tickets.

Dh is a freelancer in sports journalism and only knows a couple of people out of hundreds of contacts who have got tickets.

Yes, its all corporate sad.

Concordia Mon 06-Jun-11 22:06:19

i agree tis unfair. if you have more cashflow and afford to take the hit, then you could apply for loads. DH appleid for him and DS to go to one thing. we didn't get it.

OneManBand Mon 06-Jun-11 22:08:18

I seem to have something but I don't know what. I applied for about £230 (couldn't afford to risk more, in case I got them all) and got £32. The whole system seems very unfair. I just wish I knew what I'd been allocated.

Concordia Mon 06-Jun-11 22:11:00

there will be a bad atmosphere and empty seats with lots of corporate tickets though.
btw someone was telling me you can buy tickets allocated to other countries - that may nto be a bad option nearer the time.

razzlebathbone Mon 06-Jun-11 22:11:47

We just applied for one thing because it was about what we could afford and something we thought the kids would love and we got it!! We didn't know we were supposed to apply for a few. confused

Icoulddoitbetter Mon 06-Jun-11 22:16:12

I applied for £900 worth and £300 has been taken out of my account so I'm one of the lucky ones! I've either got one of the ceramonies, or everything else I applied for.
DH applied for £1000 worth, and got nothing.

The allocation process was a lottery so there's no way they could work out who would get lots or get nothing. I agree with something said on the BBC website though about how they should have made clear what percentage of tickets were available for each price bracket so people could have made more informed choices.

The extent that the tickets have gone to corporate groups is terrible, the people's games my arse.

foreverondiet Mon 06-Jun-11 22:18:21

I agree totally unfair.

We applied for £1000 worth and got £244 worth, have no idea what yet, others got nothing. Seems it was unfairly biased again those who could afford to take a chance. Should have been limited to certain number events per family.

We did try and apply for less popular things in big stadiums like football. My colleague applied for £2000 and got nothing but she only applied for popular stuff like opening cermony and finals.

tallulah Mon 06-Jun-11 22:28:52

They were saying at work that if you apply on the German website you can get whatever tickets you like. Don't know how true it is because I'm not interested myself, but might be worth a try.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 06-Jun-11 22:44:47

I'm really pissed off about it tbh. I applied for tickets for me and DS to go to three events and haven't got anything. I only applied for what I could afford, rather than get into loads of debt.

On the day they announced we'd won the games I decided I wanted to go because I love the Olympics, plus it's my 40th the month after they take place, so it was always part of my 40th birthday year plan to go to the games. It won't be held in the UK again in my lifetime so I'm totally gutted I haven't got tickets.

Does anyone know what the German site is, and can you apply for them from the UK?

mumeeee Mon 06-Jun-11 23:56:50

We also applied for a few events, DD1 and her husaband did seperate applications and niether of them got any. One ticket per person would not work as a lot of peaple were applying for ticket for thier family so they could all go together, DH applied for 3 tickets to some events so that DD3 could come with us,

newportstateofmind Tue 07-Jun-11 00:11:47

DH applied for about £600 worth and got nothing, but he then bought some through the German site. Not sure how much they have left now though, and I think all the cheaper tickets on there went days ago.

Be aware though, that they charge a 37euro shipping fee (on top of a 12euro booking fee) so if you are going to get some from there make sure you order everything you want in one go. DH placed 2 separate orders and got stung for 64euro fee! I wasn't impressed!! hmm

golemmings Tue 07-Jun-11 08:58:32

I applied for 4 tickets for 1 event and I have them.

But then I only applied for canoe sprints. Nobody really gives a monkeys about canoe/kayak racing - it usually winds me up that weeks of TV coverage are given to the Tour de France and programmes are devoted to the 15 minute Oxford-Cambridge boat race but there is almost never any coverage of the longest non-stop canoe race or the world championships - at which we do rather well.

For once the fact that nobody knows/cares has worked in our favour.

I am still slightly annoyed that we have had to go to the heats and not the finals (which would have been ace!) because I refused to pay £55 for a ticket for a 10 month old and no children's tickets are available for the finals. But on balance, we're lucky to be going!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 07-Jun-11 09:00:26

I was wondering that too, OP. A ratio allocation would have been fairer. I wonder how many of them will end up on ebay or elsewhere anyway.

captainbarnacle Tue 07-Jun-11 09:01:20

I applied for canoe tickets too - and got nothing. Not the cheapest tickets either. Also applied for fencing and other 'unpopular' sports. About £500 and got nothing sad

IWantAnotherBaby Tue 07-Jun-11 09:23:25

I applied for £500 worth and got £75 of tickets; it must be 4 tickets (applied only for the cheapest for each thing) to 2 different events, but obviously don't know which yet. In retrospect we'd have applied for the slightly more expensive tickets to increase our chances, but are really just pleased to have got something - for us the whole point was to be able to take our son (who will be 9 then) to the Olympics as a once in a lifetime experience; the actual events don't matter all that much. Hopefully he'll now get 2 trips, one with each parent. So we're perfectly happy.

TandB Tue 07-Jun-11 09:25:31

We don't seem to have got any for the rowing and don't know anyone else who has. This seems a bit odd as we know an awful lot of other rowers who applied and there should have been a lot of tickets due to the size of the venue. Not sure where all the tickets have gone.

Abra1d Tue 07-Jun-11 09:35:57

It's not true that the system favours those with more money who could take a big risk on applying for lots of tickets.

We threw everything we could afford at this. Two/three years' holiday budget. £12,000.

We have won two tickets. We don't know what to yet. Total cost: £36, including booking fee.

Abra1d Tue 07-Jun-11 09:36:46

Sorry, that should have read Two/three years' holiday budget plus meals out, car replacement, etc.

Not that flush that we spend £6000 on holidays a year.

Stricnine Tue 07-Jun-11 09:40:25

Well I only applied for one event (three tickets so we could all go) and got them ... so definately not in 'throw money at it' brigade - couldn't afford to!

ZumbaRumba Tue 07-Jun-11 09:40:30

DH knows a few people who have applied for upwards of £5k's worth and not got a sniff.

We got a few tickets. DH applied for about £500 worth of tkts and got one pair of cheap tickets to preliminary volleyball. I applied for £1k's worth and got a pair of pricey tickets to the boxing. My DSis has cleaned up - she got cheap tkts to the athletics and diving, and some great tickets to the boxing and basketball. She applied for £1500 worth and got about £400 worth in the end. All my other friends and relatives got nada. I literally know nobody bar the three I've mentioned (me, DH, DSis) who got a single ticket.

It seems very random - a genuine lottery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now