Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a "pre-loved"; book off Amazon...

(12 Posts)
ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 06-Jun-11 15:18:37

..not to be ripped and damaged?

I bought it from a company called Pre-loved books, selling via Amazon. It's a pop-up book I remembered from my childhood called Dinner With Fox.

Although the book is obviously second hand, who the hell wants a pop up book where 3/4 of the pop-ups don't work?!

I am about to email the company - what response would you expect? I'm quite prepared for them to say "you get what you pay for," (it was cheap) but I'm annoyed!

MynameisTerces Mon 06-Jun-11 15:19:43

I would email them, I have been refunded by them before.

Firawla Mon 06-Jun-11 15:20:19

depends what they wrote in the description, unless they fully described it then yanbu, if they did describe and you didnt read it then yabu, although not sure why anyone would even bother selling a book like that.

MynameisTerces Mon 06-Jun-11 15:20:47

Was it a 2.75 including postage thing ? They don't check them that well. Sometimes it says condition is poor in the description if you look. I expect you did that though.

fuzzpigFriday Mon 06-Jun-11 15:20:50

If you got it from amazon presumably on the section where you choose the 'see new/used options' it would've said 'used - good' or 'used - acceptable' or whatever.

Can you remember which word it was that described it? Because it doesn't even sound 'acceptable' let alone anything better. sad

PissesGlitter Mon 06-Jun-11 15:21:15

i would expect it to be in a read-able condition

email them

MynameisTerces Mon 06-Jun-11 15:22:31

I had one with what looked like snot smeared all over it once [boak]grin

pregnantpause Mon 06-Jun-11 15:22:48

Yanbu. If the book was an adult fiction its the equivalent of a chapter being torn out. It's not fit for purpose! Complain and hope for a refund.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 06-Jun-11 15:28:37

Thanks all - will give it a go. It's just a really pretty book and I bought it for some of my less able readers (y5) so am annoyed it's so damaged. I cannot remember the description (well done, me!) but I'm certain I wouldn't have bought anything less than "good."
It was 4 or 5 pounds including delievery, so not a massive amount - but I won't be saying that in the last week of the month when I'm poor and scratting for 20p's...

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 06-Jun-11 15:29:08

And bleeeurgh at the snot thing - disgusting!!

zukiecat Mon 06-Jun-11 15:40:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CeliaDeBohun Mon 06-Jun-11 16:13:47

I am about to email the company - what response would you expect? I'm quite prepared for them to say "you get what you pay for," (it was cheap) but I'm annoyed!

If the condition was described as 'good', then they won't try to justify having sent you a ripped book. Most people wouldn't even consider that to be acceptable condition. They may want you to return the damaged book to them (if this is the case, make sure they give you your postage costs back) but they're more likely to tell you to keep it and either issue an immediate refund or send you another copy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now