Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why there are so many hoops of ribbon on t.shirt, but none on skirts?

(14 Posts)
kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 06-Jun-11 13:20:31

Ridiculous. I bought three new skirts when I was in England, I was ironing them and not one has loops to hang them on coathangers. I know it is trivial but bloody annoying. I spent some happy time snipping off the loops on t.shirts and wondered if manufacturers can be arsed putting them on tops why not on skirts.
[needs to get out more]

cremeeggsbenedict Mon 06-Jun-11 19:15:16

I think they expect you to use the clippy coathangers to ruin hang up your skirts these days.

Given that they seem omnipresent in t-shirts, which nobody hangs up, why not transfer them to your skirts? It may waste an afternoon otherwise spent doin fun stuff!

squeakytoy Mon 06-Jun-11 19:19:07

As creme says, skirts get put on clippy hangers. T-shirts have the ribbon things to stop them falling off the hangers in shops rather than at home.

Salmotrutta Mon 06-Jun-11 19:29:48

This is one of the reasons I know I am turning into an old grump (or even an old bidder!).

I hate those t-shirt ribbons. Some of them are about a foot long and if you forget to snip them off, they then sneak out during the day and announce their presence to all and sundry.

And I mourn the demise of skirt hoops - I can't be bothered with those clip on things.

And when did they stop sewing hems and buttons securely? angry

And why are skirt waists almost as wide as the hips nowadays? - we are not all tube-shaped angry

<wanders off grumbling and moaning>
<also needs to get out more>.

sleepdodger Mon 06-Jun-11 19:36:06

its for retailler - t shirt ribbons so it doesnt slide off hanger arms, often in transit, skirts unhung!dont need them as they will only 'fall off' if actually

sleepdodger Mon 06-Jun-11 19:36:28

unclipped... oops

dizzyblonde Mon 06-Jun-11 19:47:26

To stop buttons falling off within a week of buying shirts I dab each button with clear nail varnish. Since I've been doing that I haven't had to sew on a single button despite my Ds's habit of only undoing the top few buttons and yanking the shirt over their heads.

Salmotrutta Mon 06-Jun-11 20:02:14

Oooh - good tip! smile

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 07-Jun-11 09:49:29

I am tube shaped. This morning I nearly dislocated my index finger putting on a t.shirt with loops in. This afternoon I will be cutting them out of all the tops I've got. I won't be sewing them into the skirts though.

DeWe Tue 07-Jun-11 11:31:43

... and why do womens stuff have stuch rubbish pockets.

HeidiKat Tue 07-Jun-11 11:45:13

When I was a kid my mum used to cut those ribbon loops out and give them to me to put in my dolls' hair.

jojodancer Tue 07-Jun-11 12:02:37

I bought some pj's for my 15 month old (in France) last week & the ribbon thingies on the (shorts) bottoms were so long they came down way past her knees!

The loops are crazy long on kids clothes here

Bluemoonrising Tue 07-Jun-11 12:06:23

Are skirts 'waists' not wider because the skirts are supposed to sit on the hips rather than at the waist?

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 07-Jun-11 12:14:39

Not in my world Bluemoon. I loathe things on my hips, every year I buy 20 pairs of black sloggi knickers. I know they are unattractive, but comfort over style every day of the week for me [lazy] [unglamorous]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now