Advanced search

who does the driving in your house?

(71 Posts)
Reality Mon 06-Jun-11 12:20:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Mon 06-Jun-11 12:21:12

me....there is only me,no choice

GypsyMoth Mon 06-Jun-11 12:21:55

you need a 'lone parent' option in your poll reality,its wrong to assume there is a partner!!

PerryCombover Mon 06-Jun-11 12:22:22

anyone who wants to depending on which car we take

WearegoingonaKwazihunt Mon 06-Jun-11 12:22:48

More often DH as he loves driving and I drive in the week whilst he is at work.

However I do make an effort to do the driving sometimes as I don't like the stereotype of the man always driving confused

lubberlich Mon 06-Jun-11 12:23:37

Me.
My 4 year old wants to but his 3 point turn isn't up to much.

DontCallMePeanut Mon 06-Jun-11 12:23:47

DS drives me up the wall, round the bend...

other than that, I don't drive, and I'm a lone parent.

verytellytubby Mon 06-Jun-11 12:23:50

Long journey - I always drive there and DH drives back.

throckenholt Mon 06-Jun-11 12:24:26

Both. However when we are together it tends to be him - because he hates being driven which makes it uncomfortable for both of us when I drive.

Me, mostly, but I'm a lone parent.

If I'm with DP, me, coz his driving is SHOCKING he drives like a granny

Psammead Mon 06-Jun-11 12:25:05

DD. Our car wont fit through the front door. Would be handy to get to the kitchen, mind.

[smart arse]

Reality Mon 06-Jun-11 12:25:11

CroissantNeuf Mon 06-Jun-11 12:25:22

Usually DP.

I drive (and will drive on motorways, do long distances etc) but TBH I don't really like driving that much and DP does.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 06-Jun-11 12:25:31

DP always drives if we all go out together. He's a terrible passenger and puts me off my driving grin

7to25 Mon 06-Jun-11 12:25:49

It's me. DH hates driving, we only have one car and it is mine.

SenoritaViva Mon 06-Jun-11 12:25:49

Both but mostly DH on long journeys just because he likes it. I drove a 3 hour journey yesterday with him and had forgotten how grumpy he is when he isn't driving...

justpaddling Mon 06-Jun-11 12:25:57

vvviola Mon 06-Jun-11 12:26:32

Here (Belgium) it's DH. It's his company car, and I'd rarely/never be out in it by myself. Also, I find the driving here - particularly on the motorway - terrifying so I tend to stick to driving locally when I do drive.

Back home, DH usually drives because he's a bad passenger, but I'd quite happily drive if he wanted a drink and I didn't, or if I needed to drop him off somewhere and then continue on with the car elsewhere.

I'm quite annoyed with myself that I don't like driving in Belgium, and that I don't do it all that often, but I'm really nervous on the roads here (in a way that I'm not at home), so I take the easy way out.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 06-Jun-11 12:26:33

If we are all going out together, I drive over 80% of the time. Infact, dh only drives if it is a long journey and he gives me a break for an hour or two, or if I am drinking.

iamamug Mon 06-Jun-11 12:26:35

I like a drink - DH not bothered so he drives if we are going out - 2 cars and we both drive ourselves around all week. That's the only criteria to who drives if we are together. On long journeys we share the driving.
can't abide the pathetic 'Can't drive on motorways' brigade - don't care how old you are or whether male or female - just bloody well get on with it!!

exexpat Mon 06-Jun-11 12:27:22

Me - lone parent, and got a few years before the DCs are old enough to drive thank goodness . But when DH was alive, we took it in turns, mainly - though he was crap at navigating and couldn't read a map, so if we were going somewhere new he was more likely to drive while I told him where to go.

GypsyMoth Mon 06-Jun-11 12:27:26

because i dont have a partner i had to brave it and drive on the motorway....too many women are mollycoddled into being wimps!!!

throckenholt Mon 06-Jun-11 12:27:56

>women getting away with being pathetic about motorways

actually in our case DH is the one pathetic about motorways - he avoids them if he can (which annoys the hell out of me on long journeys which could be shorter if we used the motorway). Having said that there are no motorways within about 70 miles of us - so it doesn't arise too often.

EverythingInMiniature Mon 06-Jun-11 12:28:55

Carrotsandcelery Mon 06-Jun-11 12:30:05

Usually me if we go out as a family as mine is the bigger car.

On long journeys we take turns to break up the hours behind the wheel.

I was determined to be able to drive on motorways and through cities I don't know and am also incapable of navigating so am no use as a passenger in strange places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now