Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask the landlord to remove a large glass greenhouse from our back garden

(18 Posts)
sevenhamstershopping Mon 06-Jun-11 11:13:39

We have a lovely big garden, but halfway down the lawn, it is divided by a large glass greenhouse.

DS is nearly walking and will soon want to play out in the garden. It is such an old fashioned greenhouse, that it is not made from 'safety glass' or perspex, just heavy normal glass on a metal frame.

Would it be reasonable to ask the landlord to remove it just because I am worried about it from a safety angle?

Our contract just says to 'maintain the lawn and garden'........I don't know how to maintain a rusty glass greenhouse. We don't use it, and it breaks up what could be a lovely big lawn & play area for DS.

What do you think? AIBU?

GypsyMoth Mon 06-Jun-11 11:15:00

i think you will need to supervise your child and remember there are dangers everywhere....

scurryfunge Mon 06-Jun-11 11:15:11

Yes, I would ask if you have no use for it.

Pootles2010 Mon 06-Jun-11 11:22:20

No harm in asking.

Glitterknickaz Mon 06-Jun-11 11:26:13

I can't see the landlord doing it.
You'd probably be ok to ask permission to dismantle it?

LadyThumb Mon 06-Jun-11 11:30:26

Why not just fence off the garden before you get to the greenhouse? Then start growing your own veggies!

GypsyMoth Mon 06-Jun-11 11:35:24

sounds a useful thing to have...i would love a proper greenhouse

OddBoots Mon 06-Jun-11 11:35:57

You can ask but I don't think you have the right to insist. In your shoes I would ask his advice between two or three options (depending on what you are willing to do. If he could remove it, you remove it or you put a fence and gate up.

cestlavielife Mon 06-Jun-11 11:39:04

i had falling down shed - i offered to landlord to pay for new shed and she went half on paying her builder to put it up and remove old one.

offer to remove it and turf up the lawn - get a quote and offer to pay half.

or just ask permission and then if landlord agrees get it done. dont think you can ask landlord to pay for the whole removal though but they might agree half half

NoseyNooNoo Mon 06-Jun-11 11:39:44

Are you in our old rental? Sounds like you've described the garden.

How about asking them to move it and if they say no ask them to pay for a low fence to go around it so that DS can't charge into it?

lesley33 Mon 06-Jun-11 11:40:53

You can ask, but the landlord would be reasonable to refuse. The landlord could easily argue that you knew there was a greenhouse in the garden when you decided to rent it and the landlord may see the greenhouse as an asset to the house as many people would love a greenhouse in their garden.

bluebobbin Mon 06-Jun-11 11:41:02

No harm in asking, but if the landlord won't, then put some sort of gating/fencing round it.

passiveaggresive Mon 06-Jun-11 11:48:53

I doubt that landlord would remove it - unless its old and had it and not very servicable. Im with the others who say that it could be a godsend to you if you want to grow your own veg and stuff - there will be loads of dangers everyehwere when your DS is walking, you just have to be vigilant and as smoeone else has suggested, fence it off.

expatinscotland Mon 06-Jun-11 11:52:15

What lesley said.

lubberlich Mon 06-Jun-11 11:54:48

I doubt if he will agree - I certainly wouldn't.

Why don't you spend your own money and fence it off?

TotallyLovely Mon 06-Jun-11 12:12:38

How long have you lived there?

I can't see him agreeing to it as the next tennant might love it and so he would demolish something that might potentially bring him in money.

GypsyMoth Mon 06-Jun-11 12:14:19

like i said,teach your child to keep away...and supervise him.....world cannot be dismantled just because there is a young child in the vicinity!

cuteboots Mon 06-Jun-11 12:18:45

no harm in asking but if your landlord is like mine it probably wont happen. I still have a large rotting wooden shed in my garden that they said would be removed and Im still trying to find out who has turned the bottom of my garden into a communal tip! The council say its the landlord responsiblity but the landlord says the land falls outside of the agreed boundary! I have fenced it off but with time the rubbish will push against the fence causing it to collappse! GRRRRRR

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now