Talk

Advanced search

To be sick to death of spending hours trying to find clothes to fit.

(17 Posts)
rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 06-Jun-11 08:56:12

I'm having a rant about clothes and wondering if clothing retailers have ever actually been and measured a "tall" person. You see I think if they had, they would realise that tall women dont just need longer trousers, they need longer arm lengths, and the tops need to be longer in the body? They seem to have realised that petite women have shorter arms and bodies, and do a whole petite range, but alas, not for tall people.
When Next brought out their tall range I was SO happy! at last I thought, TOPS for taller women! then I bought some and they arent any longer than the standard length ones! and the arms are about an inch longer, which still 2 inches from my wrist. Its not a good look!
I cant even wear 3/4 length sleeves as they finish on my elbow and cut off my circulation!
Long tall sally is a good fit, but their clothes arent my style really, I like something a bit more daring generally, and they are V expensive.

Am I alone in this or is anyone else fed up of feeling awkward and gawky in clothes that are too short?

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 06-Jun-11 08:58:35

and dont even get me started on swimwear! I can get ones with a built in bra for my huge gazongas, and I can get one that fits longer in the body, but can I buy one that does both? Nope. So I have to walk round the swimming pool with my boobs around my waist or with a wedgie. Great. I used to wear a bikini and bypass the whole length issue, but after 2 kids, thats not really an option any more.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 06-Jun-11 09:01:41

What about 'Long Tall Sally', they have some nice stuff... pointless for a 'shortie' like me but may be perfect for you?

Ben10isthespawnofthedevil Mon 06-Jun-11 09:03:00

New Look tall?

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 06-Jun-11 09:03:35

they are a good fit, but outside my budget, and I tend to like brighter colours and a different style to their stuff.

Cattleprod Mon 06-Jun-11 09:03:40

I'm 5'9", so tall but not really tall, and I find that while the size 16 and 18 trousers would be the right length for me, shops tend to think that if you are size 8 you must also be short. They seem to make the same style of trousers longer in the bigger sizes and shorter in the smaller ones.

A good tip for jumpers and tops with long sleeves is the company Bench. They often have thumbholes in the cuffs, so are meant to come down over the hands. Perfect for people with long arms. Primark vests and t-shirts are the longest ones I've found, and only £2-3 each. Bargain!!

Cattleprod Mon 06-Jun-11 09:04:52

Tankinis are your friend, rogers!! grin

fuckmepinkandcallmerosie Mon 06-Jun-11 09:05:09

I am short. But at 5ft3 I am not quite short enough iyswim? So ordinary fit is too long in the leg and petite is too short.

GRRRRRR

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 06-Jun-11 09:06:59

sorry, I should have mentioned, I'm a size 18 so primark and new look are a non starter. another annoyance of mine - Tall people at a size 18 arent necessarily fat! we are just built on a bigger scale! but I have to go in plus size clothing which looks like a tent and has had a style bypass. Grrr, I'm in a foul tempered ranty mood this morning.

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 06-Jun-11 09:09:12

cattleprod, alas, tankinis are not my friend, in order for them to support my large norks, I have to get the top a size small, and then, because the top is generally 3 inches too short and a wee bit too tight, it rides up in about 3 seconds flat and I get a large and unsightly gap showing off my belly cellulite

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 06-Jun-11 09:12:05

I feel your pain, OP! I'm 5' 10" but quite slim (size 8-10) and have small norks, so I always have to choose between trousers and tops that are long enough in the legs/arms, or that fit properly in the body/round the waist. Have you tried this website? I've only bought leggings here so far but I like them. The clothes look a bit more interesting than Long Tall Sally and the sales are good.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 06-Jun-11 09:14:23

Hate clothes shopping with a passion, being petite seems to mean designers think that i'm like a pencil so everything is so skinny in the petite range and doesnt allow for the slightest curve.

I now order online and do a huge order so that I can try on at my leisure and hopefully get the years clothes over and done with in one go.

fuckmepinkandcallmerosie Mon 06-Jun-11 09:15:32

HappyMummy -that's my other problem. I'm a size 12 and have curves, and nothing but nothing but nothing fits my fat bum.

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 06-Jun-11 09:16:56

OMG Ladyclarice, I love it! THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU <rushes off to find husbands credit card...... >

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 06-Jun-11 09:27:42

Actually someone on here tipped me off about them, so you have them to thank. Although I can't remember who it was ...

Happy shopping!

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 06-Jun-11 09:32:34

Another empire state human here, I am 5'10 and a size 18-22 depending on where it comes from.
shoes are another cross to bear. Size 9 or 10 with fat big toes. Summer generally sees me in mens sandals. I have to admit, it is much easier being in mainland Europe, trying to buy anything in Thailand was a disaster. I was called a ladyboy twice angry but grin too.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 06-Jun-11 09:39:27

OP... I'd love to be tall, but it's not going to happen... envy

If I had your 'problem', I'd scour ebay for LTS or similar basics, skirts, dresses, trousers, etc, they are a heck of a lot cheaper there and buy my bright accessories anywhere else where height/size isn't an issue.

Ebay might have some international sellers who have longer-length clothing not generally available here also.

Or, do you have any seamstress/tailoring services offered locally? That could be another option. You could buy your materials and get something made for you that exactly what you want.

If there isn't, there ought to be a 'tall girls' club where clothing can be swapped or sold. There don't seem to be that many options for tall ladies, I'm surprised at that because there are so many outlets selling a huge range of sizes. confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: