Talk

Advanced search

To wish my dd (2.9) would stop humping the furniture.....?

(16 Posts)
mrszimmerman Sun 05-Jun-11 17:01:25

I've been advised to be breezy and distracting not giving her any kind of complex. She's already learned that it's not appropriate in public!
She's an outgoing apparently well adjusted delightful bright child but she is a humper at the moment.
I'm trying not to be too stressed about it but I come from the kind of family that got stressed by such things.
Any constructive advice would be very gratefully received.

EssentialFattyAcid Sun 05-Jun-11 17:03:13

Lead by example

mrszimmerman Sun 05-Jun-11 17:04:09

yeah yeah yeah! Thanks!

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 17:04:52

She will grow out of it, don't stress it OP

slovenlydotcom Sun 05-Jun-11 17:05:52

Breezy and distracting sounds about right

worraliberty Sun 05-Jun-11 17:08:35

Lmao @ Essential grin

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Sun 05-Jun-11 17:11:31

Whatever you do DON'T let her sit on a barstool/highstool/ any sort of stool in public blush <<shudders at memory>>

mrszimmerman Sun 05-Jun-11 21:17:09

But it will stop won't it?
My friend's daughter was still self pleasuring in public age 7 and I found it very uncomfortable but said friend was very chilled out.
How normal is it?
On a scale between one and ten!
Thanks for reassurance anyway

GreenEyesandHam Sun 05-Jun-11 21:23:21

It does pass honest.

My mate took her daughter to the docs for tests because they thought she was having seizures and her lips were turning blue through not breathing etc

Turns out it was 'that'!

She was about 3yo, she stopped doing it in public by about 4yrs I think

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Sun 05-Jun-11 21:34:49

My dd is 12 and still does it if she gets the chance ! (she has SN)

We have let her know she can do whatever she wants in her room and she gets directed there if needs be. If she tries to do it in public then I have to get quite sharp with her, she knows she isn't allowed to and it really is very inappropriate at this age. We're getting there slowly thank God

mrszimmerman Sun 05-Jun-11 21:57:20

thanks apocalypse and greeneyes and apologies for saying 'normal' in a post, it's a very insensitive thing to say, forgive me.
I am enough of a lapsed RC to be irrationally uncomfortable when my adorable girl goes for it with such gusto! I have been consistently blase and never been judgmental, just distracting, am hoping that will continue to work.
It's also worse when she's tired.
It's also difficult when she humps legs those, that feels not acceptable but she is a determined little person! I have to very swiftly distract when that happens!

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Sun 05-Jun-11 22:22:16

No, no, no, no, I asked the same thing. I think in dds case she's hypersensitive 'down there' and she does struggle.

But yes, it is perfectly normal, I distracted dd once and she said 'go away, i'm waiting for the good bit' shock

All I can suggest is that you keep repeating that behaviour like that is to be done in private only without making a huge deal of it

Then stock up on rum, and repeat the mantra 'this too shall pass' wink

MalkieFraser Sun 05-Jun-11 22:40:35

Timely thread, struggling with this too, my 3 year old has 'relations' with the car seat - very distracting when I'm trying to drive. She's started doing it in supermarket trolley seats too, so I guess my telling her it's a private thing is falling on deaf ears.

MilliONaire Sun 05-Jun-11 22:55:43

oooh thank god for this thread grin I thought I was alone with a humping dd!! She has been doing it since a tiny baby in her car seat and I was worried there was something wrong with her because her breathing went all funny grin. She is now 5yrs old and I thought she had outgrown it as hadn't seen her indulging in a few months, but of course, JUST as I thought that she must have remembered about it and we had a week of VERY intensive 'reacquainting' herself with it. Like cheesetoastie's dd, she has also told me to 'wait, I'm nearly at the good bit', I nearly keeled over with shock! She also does it more when she's tired.

We repeat ad naseum that it is a private thing to do.....

Dancergirl Sun 05-Jun-11 23:03:19

God, this takes me back!

Dd2 used to rub herself on the edge of the window ledge (low windows), chairs etc. Took us a while to work out what she was doing - dh said why is she always hovering? grin

When she was in reception she did it at school blush I'm not sure who was more embarrassed - me or her reception teacher who had to tell me. I must admit I was mortified at the time cos I thought she was the only one.

But yes it is v normal and it will pass.

MaeMobley Sun 05-Jun-11 23:10:31

DD aged 5 does this too. I do worry that it won't pass.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: