Talk

Advanced search

IT IS SUNDAY, I will do religion. Why are the Church of England so po-faced? Andinto twee humour only

(26 Posts)
ScousyFogarty Sun 05-Jun-11 16:30:19

My God would have a rip-roaring sense of humour. Its a funny old world. The C of E seem to do twee jokes and cucumber sandwiches. They were once said to be "The Tory Party at prayer) are they still?

GrendelsMum Sun 05-Jun-11 16:41:10

But doesn't everyone think they've got a better sense of humour than everyone around them? So you reckon your sense of humour is better than mine, just because different things make us laugh. No-one wants to think of themselves as having a BSOH.

But now you've made me laugh now imagining God like a dirty minded friend of mine, rubbing his knees and telling jokes, and I'm an Anglican. So that means we must have the same sense of humour. Which means that you've got the same twee, po-faced sense of humour I have. wink

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 16:42:34

If you want humour be a catholic ;)

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 16:43:40

We are Catholics and our priest is very funny he's only young.
I don't go to church but DH will take DD

MmeBlueberry Sun 05-Jun-11 16:44:05

I am not sure what you are asking, scouse

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 16:45:52

I think scouse is asking and if I'm wrong scouse sorry. That the C of E is full of boring, middle class vicars with no sense of humour. Very old fashioned.

handsomeharry Sun 05-Jun-11 16:47:02

I was at Mass today - it was not a laugh a minute.

GrendelsMum Sun 05-Jun-11 16:48:32

My gran was Catholic, and our Christmas day always consisted of her telling us that we would have had much more fun in a Catholic church service with her.

MmeBlueberry Sun 05-Jun-11 16:48:45

Not at my church. The clergy all have a good sense of humour, and the youger ones are quite fashionable.

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 16:49:47

I avoid mass at my peril. But will say the new priest is really nice very comical too

shirleyshortcut Sun 05-Jun-11 16:50:09

i cant think of any religion off hand thats a barrel of laughs tbh

ScousyFogarty Sun 05-Jun-11 17:01:12

Shirley It is true not many religions are a barrel of laughs you dont go on ytor knees to tell jokes, Well,what if your God was full of fun and said "Cheer upmate, get off your knees and tell me a joke. Please not the one in the bar about a horse called Eric" (my wife loves that joke)

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 17:02:37

But is religion meant to be funny, methinks not

handsomeharry Sun 05-Jun-11 17:03:47

I try to avoid going too kat. Not my idea of a fun morning.

ScousyFogarty Sun 05-Jun-11 17:13:26

Katwond...Is reliugion meant to be funny? good point. But isit pompous bishops who have told us that its not funny.? When you think of Jesus...and then you think of a Bishop in a Palace. that is funny satirical because I dont think Jesus would have wanted Bishops in palaces. So are they just part of the political establishment.?

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 17:18:01

Scousy I probably am, we go to church I guess for one reason, please don't shoot me, it because DD goes to the catholic school. I'm not religious I don't really believe in god but DH was brought up catholic and the best school here is catholic so that's why.
I must sound awful but I think scousy politics count for alot in religion.
Just my opinion

Glitterknickaz Sun 05-Jun-11 17:18:02

my view first 30 secs or so

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 17:21:26

And it's also to keep DH family happy too. Very complicated.

youarekidding Sun 05-Jun-11 17:21:54

Well Jesus told his friend he could walk on water - I for one would love to know if he was joking or not. grin

I am CofE and our priest is very funny, great with younger children as is the Catholic priest who've I've met. BIL is catholic. The navel priest who did my Confirmation classes was brilliant and a right laugh and a Charlie Chaplin fan - the Bishop who confirmed me though hmm.

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 17:22:48

Great view glitter, monty python works everytime

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 17:27:27

Dave Allens take on a priest was good and Father Ted is insanely funny. Best thing ever.

BelovedCunt Sun 05-Jun-11 17:29:34

who goes to church for a laugh! ?

handsomeharry Sun 05-Jun-11 17:31:13

Precisely.grin

Glitterknickaz Sun 05-Jun-11 17:31:28

Honestly I do think if there is a God all this bowing and scraping must be getting boring now.

thefirstMrsDeVere Sun 05-Jun-11 17:31:36

I am CofE and I admit I am finding it really hard to find a church I like since I moved.

My old church was fab. I miss it. I havent found one thats much fun.

I am too lazy to be a Catholic though. All that standing up and down. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: