Talk

Advanced search

To want an extra week for half term

(21 Posts)
cinnamonswirls Sun 05-Jun-11 15:09:27

ive had summer virus since Tuesday sick as a dog missed birthday night out and a big party. Ds came back from dad Friday has had flu ever since and has even had tears over how much he wants to be out doing stuff - I'm exhausted and feel I want a holiday not to try pack ds back to school as soon as temp drops so I can crawl miserably back to work

Itsnotfair......

Why can't we claim time off in lieu for hols lost to sickness?

gillybean2 Sun 05-Jun-11 15:14:03

Well I think you can as far as work goes if you want to take it as sick leave instead of holiday I mean. Doesn't work for school though as ther holidays are fixed.

cinnamonswirls Sun 05-Jun-11 15:20:49

Yup that's my problem - half terms are for resting working and storing up loads of energy to inspire and stimulate young minds (or rarely to kick teenage arse) not for lying around pathetically and struggling to nurse ds

Think viruses should be banned April to Sept

TheFlyingOnion Sun 05-Jun-11 15:52:51

I'll sign your petition for longer school holidays

<teacher having the last wine of the hols sad>

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Sun 05-Jun-11 15:55:00

As a teacherI would quite like another week, I recognise I am being very unreasonable though. Your reasons sound much more valid than my desire to potter about for a week.

TheFlyingOnion Sun 05-Jun-11 16:11:23

yes desperately - I wouldn't get any more done, I'd just like some more time to waste grin

Ah well summer hols soon.... smile

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 16:14:10

I would love a 2 week half term. I adore the DDs being on holiday.

<can't wait for the summer hols>

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Sun 05-Jun-11 16:15:40

I actually haven't counted the weeks until the summer yet.

I will get pounced on now.

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Sun 05-Jun-11 16:16:18

It is one of the things I miss now the kids mostly in state schools, the longer holidays.

Armi Sun 05-Jun-11 16:16:21

I'd love an extra week - am a teacher and my maternity leave starts at the end of next week. An extra week on the sofa would suit me very well...

TheFlyingOnion Sun 05-Jun-11 16:17:31

six here! But we break up early I think as we're independent.

Going back on the 29th August though!! My face was like this shock!

JaneBennet Sun 05-Jun-11 16:20:22

YANBU, but then we only had one day for half term, one day!!! However, we have 18 more 6am starts until the hols WOO HOO, absolutely can't wait. Have lots of mooching around/TV catching-up/Scrabble playing planned for the first week smile

Riveninside Sun 05-Jun-11 16:20:48

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo <has uniforms ready and cant wait>

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 05-Jun-11 16:24:39

i would rather the 6 week hoilday's where shorter, by 4 weeks then attach those weeks to the 1 week 1/2 terms.

i love school hoildays, i get to spend my 2 weekday off work relaxing instead of the schhol runs

TheFlyingOnion Sun 05-Jun-11 16:26:29

oh no auntie, that wouldn't fit in with my plans to go backpacking grin

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Sun 05-Jun-11 16:37:45

Mess with my 6 week holiday and that would be the last straw, I woudl don my power suit and head back to the city.

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 05-Jun-11 16:39:15

I'd love the summer hols to be just 4 August and tag the extra days onto the christmas and half term hols.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 05-Jun-11 16:47:59

we used to have 2 weeks at May half-term (mid-Cheshire) IIRC it was voted on by teachers in areas and we kept our a lot longer than other parts of the county. This was 70's & 80's though so going back some.

TheFlyingOnion Sun 05-Jun-11 16:49:49

there are still lots of catholic schools who have 2 weeks for May half term. Its something to do with feast days.

SwedishEdith Sun 05-Jun-11 16:55:23

We get 2 weeks for half term here - primary only so can cause problems once your older kids go to secondary school. I love it.

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Sun 05-Jun-11 16:56:01

I clearly need to find God.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now