Talk

Advanced search

to think this is too much to add details to a headstone

(12 Posts)
welwyn80 Sun 05-Jun-11 14:41:38

Does anyone have any experience of this? I have just had a quote to add new inscription to mums headstone and its silly money. About £600. How much have others paid?

Shakirasma Sun 05-Jun-11 14:50:25

2 years ago my SIL was interred with her granny. It cost £5 plus vat per letter, to add her details to the headstone

LordOfTheFlies Sun 05-Jun-11 14:53:44

There's a thread on bereavement about this.I think the stone has to be lifted, taken away then replaced.
Someone had a post about in-situ engraving but I think it depends on how deep the letters are engraved.
Check the Bereavement thread for details

welwyn80 Sun 05-Jun-11 14:57:34

Thanks. Yes that was my thread. Just put it in AIBU as it gets more traffic. Maybe that is the problem. They have quoted for taking it away etc.

LisaD1 Sun 05-Jun-11 15:09:29

Sounds about right to me. My nan died last year, we had already bought a double plot when grandad died 25 years ago. They charged £900 to move the headstone and open up the grave and another £700 for the engraving/cleaning the existing engraving/stone.

welwyn80 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:06:35

Thank you Lisa. Nice to know I am not being ripped off but a shock never the less. Will have to think carefully about wording as that is on top.

GollyHolightly Sun 05-Jun-11 16:09:26

I'm in the process of putting my mum's details onto my dad's headstone. They want to remove the stone, take it away to put the inscription on then replace it (it's leaning hence why they want to move it). The cost is about £750. They wanted another £200 to clean it, I prefer it looking a bit weathered, thankfully.

welwyn80 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:12:14

It is such a rip off. We only paid money a year or so ago to have it stablised. Thank you Hully. This is all new to me. Didn't realised how much money this type of thing costs.

LineRunner Sun 05-Jun-11 16:16:30

The headstones usually need to be taken away because many are only secured in place on a blob on cement, and if they start to lean or are already leaning the cemetery authority (often the council) is obliged by the Health and Safety Executive to lay it flat and require the family to pay to put it back securely anyway.

If the headstone is firmly secured in place, an in situ engraving is possible (as at war memorials) but this is pretty rare.

Funerals and funerary arrangements are an expensive business. I think that's why cremations are becoming more popular to be honest.

welwyn80 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:21:41

So line even it headstone is stable, it must be as we have a guarantee somewhere an insitu engraving is unlikely to be possible?

gerardway Sun 05-Jun-11 16:23:43

Have just posted a message to you in bereavement.

welwyn80 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:29:28

Thank you gerardway

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: