Talk

Advanced search

To have tears running down my face

(15 Posts)
constantlytired Sun 05-Jun-11 13:11:23

I ran Race for Life today in Glasgow (5K - 31 mins) to raise funds for cancer research. Its also my DS 3rd birthday party today, so was thinking about what i still had to do whilst warming up. I ended up running behind a woman who had lost her DD on her 3rd birthday to cancer, and she has a beautiful picture of her on the back of her t-shirt. I ended up running most of the race with tears in my eyes. Puts everything into perspective. sad

Rangirl Sun 05-Jun-11 13:13:20

Well done you. You cannot do anything about her tragic loss but at least you are doing something to stop others suffering the same

worraliberty Sun 05-Jun-11 13:15:02

Aww it does put it into perspective doesn't it? sad

barbie1 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:16:09

Well done, i would love to run a race for life but i'm abroad. I did watch one last year as my sister was running, it was enough to start me off! I think i cried for an hour...
Such a fantastic event smile and it really does make such a difference.

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 13:20:16

Well done OP
I did it last year for my mom.

TidyDancer Sun 05-Jun-11 13:58:26

Well done for doing it. I plan to do the next one in my area. Very worthy cause and of course, puts things right into perspective.

etyksm Sun 05-Jun-11 14:04:17

After running it last year with a friend I would recommend dark glasses for anyone who would rather not be seen crying in public. all the messages on people's backs had me and my friend in tears.

2blessed2bstressed Sun 05-Jun-11 15:24:42

Cried a lot last year....this year I did indeed wear sunglasses....and I was faster! I know it isn't a race race, but I was ridiculously chuffed that my time was better grin

BluddyMoFo Sun 05-Jun-11 15:25:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YellowDinosaur Sun 05-Jun-11 15:28:43

I had totally forgotten that it is race for life today.

I will be doing it next year. I found out this week that my best friend who had breast cancer 10 years ago aged only 28 is in hospital with recurrent cancer in her bones sad. She has a 2 year old dd sadsadsad

I will be running it in her name next year with everything crossed that she will be running it with me.

maristella Sun 05-Jun-11 17:01:16

Well done OP, such a worthy cause x

MissBetsyTrotwood Sun 05-Jun-11 17:11:37

Oh now I'm choking up... YellowDinosaur sad

Well done you. What a poignant day.

I'm doing the Maggie's Night Hike in September. I think I'll look like Alice Cooper by the end, and will be avoiding all street lights and open buildings.

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Sun 05-Jun-11 17:12:38

I have tears rolling off my nose now too sad

Glitterknickaz Sun 05-Jun-11 17:13:59

How horribly sad sad
I did Race for Life two years ago for my very good friend who was undergoing chemo at the time. She was too poorly to even come to the event.

This year she's doing it beside me grin
She's had her first year all clear.

constantlytired Sun 05-Jun-11 19:36:16

Good to hear that Glitterknickaz, its good to hear when someone is beating this awful disease. I also couldn't believe a woman at the end, arguing with a steward cos her time was poor as she had to run round all these walkers...its a charity 5K for goodness sake, not the London marathon angry

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: