Talk

Advanced search

to be quietly horrified at the state of ds's school uniform

(66 Posts)
Honeydragon Sun 05-Jun-11 12:30:07

but buggered if I'm buying more with only six weeks of term left. grin

I've just ironed this weeks uniform, and was shock. It mostly fits just, but not a single shirt doesn't have some kind of stain on and they are now beyond bleaching. The jumpers fit but are becoming an interesting shape from repeated bunging in bags as it's the summer and the elastics going on his trousers and shorts but a belt is doing us proud.

His feet are costing me a fortune at the moment in shoes, without paying out for uniform to last till the summer holidays which he will have outgrown by September- he already needs clothes for the holidays too.

I know this has been done before, but please please tell me I am not the only person sending a raggedy urchin into school until September?

<awaits flaming for dressing pfb in rags>

slartybartfast Sun 05-Jun-11 12:32:25

no you are not alone.
dd starts secondary in september so she will ahve to make due with waht she has, including shoes that have seen a lot better days.
pelnty of people in the same boat.
you would have to have more money than sense to buy now.

meditrina Sun 05-Jun-11 12:33:46

I've just patched the knees of DS's trousers, told him to put up with the state of his shoes (I'll superglue the sole back on), and have realised all of DD's dresses have at least one sinister stain.

But I'm not buying anything new before autumn. And, other than shoes, probably nothing before they go into the winter version.

Madlizzy Sun 05-Jun-11 12:34:17

I have 12 year olds with trousers that are frayed on the bottom, jumpers out of shape and white shirts that are positively minging. I'm not buy more until the new school year.

Honeydragon Sun 05-Jun-11 12:36:12

Oh god....I've just realised it's school photos this week too .....THE BASTARDS.

My raggedy urchin will be captured forever in print!

<embraces all other parents "making do">

saadia Sun 05-Jun-11 12:36:58

this makes me feel better - dss have holes in their M and S school jumpers (never happened in my day) and I was thinking about buying new ones but the uniform will be changing from September so I will just sew them up - trousers are also wearing away at the knees and shirts have turned greyish.

MumblingRagDoll Sun 05-Jun-11 12:42:54

My DD has only one smmer dress atm...they're 25 quid and it willhave to do...its by her knees and has a stain. She's not the only one!

Zippylovesgeorge Sun 05-Jun-11 12:53:46

Think its fairly standard for this time of year! Eldest doesn't look to bad as he had new trousers at easter as old ones had fallen out with his ankles. Jumper is tatty but it really only lives in his bag this time of year.

Little one is similar - his jumper is worse but he changes schools for September so will just have to breathe in or go without for the next 7 weeks!

Honeydragon Sun 05-Jun-11 13:11:40

Zippy, I thought so, but I know of another Mum on my FB who has just bought new uniform, as its cheap enough from the supermarket.

I was a bit confused but now I bet its for the school photo grin

My version of cheap and waste are clearly miserly but at least I am not alone! Perhaps I should have just asked if anyone would by uniform this near to end of term?

shesparkles Sun 05-Jun-11 13:14:20

I've just patched ds's school trousers (from behind, I'm not THAT cruel!) grin, shoes are just about surviving with lots of polish-and if I don't check where his toes are in them, they still fit, right? grin
Thank god I'm in Scotland, only 4 weeks to go!

FabbyChic Sun 05-Jun-11 13:17:24

My children wore their uniform all year round, and there were never stains or holes in the knees.

They lasted a whole year. My sons secondary school blazer lasted two years.

I cannot understand if you buy quality to start with why it should not look just as good on the last day of term as it did on the first day of term.

Crevix Sun 05-Jun-11 13:17:44

DD2 is down to one wearable pair of shorts. DD1's Blazer was sewn back together by blind mad MIL. DD2s shoes fell apart (again - what does she do to them?) but she found some reduced in New Look (oh the shame).

I am also going to get into lots of bother come september when I refuse to buy a whole new set of PE uniform for both DDs. School changed it last year and gave parents a year to buy the new sort. But both Ds still fit and I Am Not Buying More. So there.

bluebobbin Sun 05-Jun-11 13:18:40

The 2 weeks before half term, DS went in trousers with a hole in. It started as only a little nick, but then got rather big. He has one pair of trousers for the rest of the term now, but does also have 2 pairs of short trousers. Let's hope it's warm! The soles of his shoes are just about holding up and they do look very tatty. Just a few more weeks!

Asinine Sun 05-Jun-11 13:24:10

Ours look tatty all year round as we pass the uniform down the family. Eldest DD always looks smart though grin

I do find uniform in local charity shops that is in good nick and slip it in to the mix, removing the worst worn items.

I don't think it matters too much until they're of an age to care themselves.

Do they get changed after school when they play out?

KittySpencer Sun 05-Jun-11 13:24:47

DS2's uniform isn't looking that bad, though his trousers are slightly skimming his ankles, but am hopeful will last another 6 weeks. His shoes are not looking too great either.

DS1 has a big rip in his blazer (I've sewn it up twice but it only lasts a couple of days before he does it again!) and the bottoms of his trousers are shredded. Have told him he'll have to make do, I definitely won't bother with anything new at this stage in the school year!

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 13:28:26

DD2's skirt hems came down within a week of me buying them. And they are bloody expensive Trutex ones. My hemming has lasted the rest of the year, but the zip has now gone on one and there is a mysterious ink stain on the other. Photos were last term, she will be making do until end of year.

The blazer looks unsalvageable sad

blackeyedsusan Sun 05-Jun-11 13:28:36

now is the time to buy new uniform for next year. let him wear the nice set for the photos.. and then pack them away til september... (though even the new set will look scrunched up/stained/ twisted round the wrong way for the photos, so maybe it isn't worrth it)

bellavita Sun 05-Jun-11 13:30:25

All DS2's polo shirts are stained, his sweatshirts have one or two stains also. He is now down to one pair of trousers as his other wripped right under Neath the crotch - I did fix but they wrapped again. He does however have two pair of shorts from last year that I think still fit so he will have to wear those. Shoes I have given up on - he wears trainers to walk in and they have to change into indoor plimsoles once inside. He goes to secondary in Sept so I am not spending another penny on clothes for primary.

bellavita Sun 05-Jun-11 13:31:39

Bloody hell - ripped and underneath

Goblinchild Sun 05-Jun-11 13:35:19

'now is the time to buy new uniform for next year.'

Really? With 3 months growing time?

Honeydragon Sun 05-Jun-11 13:36:46

His uniform was good quality, and he changes after school. The stains are mainly blueish so ink. Perhaps it's because he's getting older but I've never known is uniform all get quite like this!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 05-Jun-11 13:38:51

Just limp to the end of term in what you have!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 05-Jun-11 14:40:19

although to be fair honey - in a school photo, you only see their face and part of their top, so if you were desperate you could buy a £2 white shirt ftom Tesco or somewhere?

CoffeeDodger Sun 05-Jun-11 14:47:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 05-Jun-11 14:59:43

thats why i wish school photos was done in september/october.

ds uniform is wrecked, but only has 6ish weeks before the summer hoilday, and he has school photo's done tomorrow but i am not going out to buy a new polo-shirt at £10 a pop just for some photos

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now