Talk

Advanced search

ok, as promised, AIBU to spent £600 on a washer dryer when I could buy a perfectly good one for half that?

(34 Posts)
Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:44:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 05-Jun-11 11:49:36

from my experiences of washer dryers, it that they are rubbish.
I paid close to £500 for mine and it takes forever to do a load of washing that also needs dryer (about 3 hours)
i ended buying a seperate condenser tumble dryer and putting it on top of the stairs (when i was in the flat) its now in my outhouse

bigbadbarry Sun 05-Jun-11 11:52:06

I think washer dryers are rubbish too. So YABU to want one, but if you are dead set on it, YANBU to geta good one. (I got fed up of washing machines not lasting 5 minutes then the repair men basically telling me to chuck it and buy another cheap one, so I bought a Miele.)

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:53:07

tallulahxhunny Sun 05-Jun-11 11:56:08

ooh i want one of them !!! If you have the money and aren't going without on something else, then get it if you want it smile

youarekidding Sun 05-Jun-11 11:56:37

I have a washer/dryer. I don't often tumble but is very handy. I can put towels in wash and dry them in a few hours same with bedding whilst enjoying time with DS.

I also have a 30 minute 30° wash which if you use a decent detergent is perfect for school uniforms, most kids casual clothes etc.

tallulahxhunny Sun 05-Jun-11 12:05:08

its under £500 here and free delivery www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/asp/basket.asp?numLineCount=1&Q1=1&V1=30527&status=&submit1=+&Q2=0&V2=29292&Q3=0&V3=31469&Q4=0&V4=32612&V=speedorder&U=%2FLG_Direct_Drive_Freestanding_Washer_Dryer_F1403YD%2Fversion.asp&V=speedorder&U=%2FLG_Direct_Drive_Freestanding_Washer_Dryer_F1403YD%2Fversion.asp

if you dont get them to dispose of your old one and install the new one, but even with both those services its stil £531 grin (love finding bargains)

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 12:08:51

tallulahxhunny Sun 05-Jun-11 12:12:18

oops blush

tallulahxhunny Sun 05-Jun-11 12:14:05

there is one for £521

http://www.elec4less.me.uk/product/view/1150/LG%20F1403RD.html

tallulahxhunny Sun 05-Jun-11 12:14:16

www.elec4less.me.uk/product/view/1150/LG%20F1403RD.html

BitOfFun Sun 05-Jun-11 12:15:09

From Which?:

The freestanding LG F1403RD White washer-dryer has a massive 9kg washing capacity and plenty of mod cons including a delayed start, memory function, digital display and childproof lock. We put this washer-dryer through its paces in our lab, testing its abilities in both washing and drying modes.

The F1403RD washer-dryer benefits from a good spin, good energy efficiency and quick program times, but the cotton wash doesn't clean as well as it could, and the rinse is poor.

We can't make this machine a Best Buy as we don't have reliability data for LG's washer-dryers.

Huge washing capacity
This model has a huge drum that's capable of washing 9kg of cottons in a single wash, so washing times are very quick per kilo.

But although the easy-care cycle washes well, the results for cottons aren't so good, so you may be better off with another model if you're after spotless linens.

Variable rinse results
The easy-care setting rinses well but the cotton rinse is poor, so those with sensitive skin might want to use the extra rinse option when using this program.

The F1403RD can dry a 6kg load of cottons in one session and the programs are quick per kilo - a full load of cottons will be ready for the cupboard in three and a half hours.

Good energy efficiency
Electricity and water consumption is low, and this model has better energy efficiency than most when drying synthetics.

There are plenty of mod cons to be found on the hi-tech control panel, including a delayed start, memory function, digital display and childproof lock.

This model is very quiet during the wash cycle, and not too loud when spinning or drying.

Pros: Good easy-care wash, quick washing and drying programs, excellent spin, good energy and water efficiency, quiet

Cons: Poor cotton rinse

BitOfFun Sun 05-Jun-11 12:16:14

And for prices:

Top 3 of 20 retailers
Giant Buyer GBP531.00
AJ Electronics Ltd. GBP535.00
Laskys

AlsoAvailableSober Sun 05-Jun-11 12:16:42

I think John Lewis now price match on-line prices. I would try that to get their good after sales service

BitOfFun Sun 05-Jun-11 12:17:01

God, this is dull. You know I wouldn't do that for anyone else, right? grin

Danthe4th Sun 05-Jun-11 12:18:30

Have you looked at the miele washer dryer, more expensive I expect but comes with a very long warranty often 10 years and they last for ever.

Punkatheart Sun 05-Jun-11 12:21:33

Like fridgefreezers, there is more to go wrong with washerdryers. It scores 62% in Which trials. Here are some customer comments from Which:

CMSmith wrote:
Unreliable machine and lousy customer service
Machine has needed to be repaired at least four times in it's two years with us. The latest is that the exhaust had completely filled with lint and blocked not allowing dryer air to exit. Top (inside) of machine burned, a new bearing and some other part was needed--only to have them not in stock. It's been "idle" for a month now and supposedly part comes in two more days. But since service NEVER comes when they say they are going to, who knows when it will be fixed (once again!)? Never again LG!
3/6/2011 2:34 PM GDT
Report Abuse
PAULSJONES wrote:

NO SPIN ONLY NO TUMBLE DRY ONLYUNLESS YOU GO THROUGH A SEQUENCE TO GET AROUND THISPHONED COMPANY UP THEY ARE AWARE OF THISDOES NOT TAKE FABRIC SOFTENER(NEVER WORKED)COMPANY SAYS I MY USING RIGHT SOFTENERIS WATER TAP TURNED ON ,IF A ENGINEER IS CALLED MAY HAVE TO CHARGE ME WOULD NOT BUY LG AGAIN
11/4/2011 9:27 PM GDT
Report Abuse
Shash10 wrote:
Pleased with the product
Although Which doesnt include it as best buy for absence of reliability data, I went with this product as LG gives 10yrs of warranty. After 1month no complaints... pleased with the product
31/3/2011 2:36 PM GDT
Report Abuse
mrsminberks wrote:
Mrs M in berks
After using our Which subscription to browse all the very many details of various best buys, my husband and i originally went shopping for a washer-dryer on august bank holiday 2010 as a move to a small flat was iminent so to save space, we decided on a washer-dryer instead of separate washing machine and dryer. We found ourselves in Lakes in Slough. Whilst the shopping assistant was explaining all about a known top of the range washer-dryer another make caught my eye across the store - it was the LG range which Lakes were promoting as a new range. On closer inspection, we were impressed with everything about the LG range and chose the F1403RD Washer-Dryer. We took delivery in Sept. It is now near end Jan 2011 and am delighted to report that so far everything about the machine has been excellent. I have used several makes of washing machines etc over my lifetime and this machine is by far the best. The 10 year guarantee also gives peace of mind and the option to extend and upgrade this to cover call-outs and parts in case of a malfunction seems really worth it.I am very pleased with the overall performance of the washer and the dryer is excellent. An excellent choice which suits our needs in our small flat. I would definitely recommend an LG direct drive washer/dryer.
27/1/2011 12:28 PM GST
Report Abuse
AJB111 wrote:
Appalling Customer Service
Bought this brand new (c. £600) to specifically wash new baby's clothes. Broke down after less than 3mths LIGHT usage (wash cycle only once a week - never tried the tumble dryer mode). This was a couple of weeks before Xmas. Engineer took almost 2wks to come out - no show a couple of times - on New Years Eve at 19:30 right in the middle of dinner. Spent 5mins looking at it and diagnosed broken pump requiring 2-3wks for new part to be delivered. By 20th January I got fed up and chased LG who said it was due to engineer not being in to accept DHL delivery since 8th Jan. Spoke to engineer myself who said it was DHL's fault and they were expecting delivery the following Monday. Engineer even made appointment to come round. No show again.Waited another week, heard nothing, then called LG to complain. They referred me to manager straightaway on realising it was now coming to 8wks and still no repair. Finally today I received letter in post saying the machine was beyond repair and I should go get an exchange from the supplier.This is after 10wks without a washing machine and no contact from either LG or the engineer which was not initiated by myself. The baby's clothes are ruined and she has outgrown them. It has caused a lot of stress and unhappiness and I will NEVER buy another LG product again in this lifetime.
9/2/2010 1:07 PM GST
Report Abuse
Karimis wrote:
Poor stain removal, slow support
We were attracted by the large drum (9kg wash, 6kg dry) and the quiet drum. Delivered and installed on 12th Jan but developed a fault with the dryer on day one. As the dryer got hotter and hotter we noticed a burning smell, like burning plastic. I opened the dryer and the cotton towels we steaming and extremely hot to the touch! The machine seemed to be over heating. The towels smelled awful and had to be rewashed and redryed on a low temp. Contacted LG support on 14th Jan, but took a couple of calls to confirm if and when an engineer would turn up. An engineer did finally come out today (27th Jan!) - there are problems with air flow, sensors and some other circuit board. I have arranged for a refund from Dixons and will now look for a different make. My wife complains about the poor stain removal and smell when using the dryer. Support seems to be slow.

Punkatheart Sun 05-Jun-11 12:31:23

Or this is on their best buys list and costs £519:

The freestanding AEG-Electrolux L16850 washer-dryer has a powerful 1600rpm spin and some great features, including 20 hour delayed start, childproof controls and an LDC panel with a time remaining display. We put this washer-dryer through its paces in our rigorous lab tests.

The Best Buy AEG Electrolux L16850 is one of the best washer-dryers we've seen, combining excellent washing results with impressive drying speed.

The cotton program gets clothes really clean and the rinse removes plenty of detergent, so you probably won't need the extra rinse setting.

Excellent spinning power
The powerful 1600rpm spin removes plenty of water and can be reduced to avoid creasing delicate items.

You can dry a large 5kg load in one go if you select the drying time manually, or you can select the level of dryness you require and let the auto setting choose the time for you. Both methods dry clothes quickly and evenly, although the auto program can only dry 3.5kg at a time.

Energy efficient
This machine doesn't use much water, and electrical consumption is excellent when drying cottons. The only downside is that drying on the easy-care setting uses more electricity than most other models do.

The L16850 has several good features such as a 20-hour delayed start, childproof controls and an LDC panel with a time-remaining display.

A buzzer sounds at the end of the program, so you can get your clothes out straight away before they crease.

Pros: Excellent washing, excellent drying, large drying capacity, excellent spin, good rinsing, good water efficiency

Cons: Noisy spin, easy-care drying has poor energy efficiency

said Sun 05-Jun-11 12:33:01

I'd just live without the dryer and get a decent washing machine (which is what I do do). My old washer dryer was dreadful and I just wouldn't even contemplate one at all now

IgnoringTheChildren Sun 05-Jun-11 12:42:04

I have no experience of washer dryers, however after living with a cheapo crappy washing machine (which died 2 weeks after DS1 was born - very crappy timing!) I would spend that much on a decent machine if I was convinced it was good and would last.

You're right - the crack in the wall thread is better! grin

KittySpencer Sun 05-Jun-11 13:08:55

I'm not a fan of washer dryers - I had one years ago and it was pretty useless. Is there nowhere you could keep a separate dryer - under the stairs? garage?

I would say though that LG washing machines are generally fab though and worth the money. I got mine 8 years ago and (touch wood) still going strong, and it gets plenty of use!

Glitterknickaz Sun 05-Jun-11 13:10:48

Not familiar with LG as a brand, just want to tell you do NOT get an indesit.
I have had a washer/dryer that had the same fault constantly, Comet replaced it with a Hoover in the end after pressure from the family fund, and a dishwasher that lasted no more than 18 months.

Indesit is really crap.

bellavita Sun 05-Jun-11 13:13:43

I would never ever buy a washer/dryer again. The one we had was bloody rubbish even though it cost a fortune. Luckily we had taken out extra insurance - by god did we need it. They must have come out to fix it more than 10 times and in the end it bloody well caught fire. They gave me a new updated model which was even more rubbish.

I now have a separate washing machine and have a drier in my garage.

FabbyChic Sun 05-Jun-11 13:14:46

Washer dryers are crap all of them, you wash a full load and can only dry a third of it, so you cannot do any more washing until you have dried all your wet clothing.

I had one and found it pointless.

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 13:50:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now