Talk

Advanced search

to ask a really really interesting question about cracks in walls. Honestly, it's fascinating, or at least it's more fascinating than the other thread I'm about to post about washing machines.

(35 Posts)
Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:10:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Sun 05-Jun-11 11:17:19

It might just mean the foundations need underpinning.

Disclaimer: This is the full extent of my knowledge on these things

grin

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:17:38

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:18:06

worraliberty Sun 05-Jun-11 11:19:56

Well I had a flat years ago with a huge mofo of a crack down the wall and it turned out the foundations had crumpled away.

So they dug into them and filled them with concrete and all was right in the world apparently!

worraliberty Sun 05-Jun-11 11:20:43

That would be 'crumbled'....not 'crumpled' blush

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:23:59

IgnoringTheChildren Sun 05-Jun-11 11:24:47

I'm going to go with a crack in the very fabric of the universe and mean the house is unsaleable. I just hope that the surveyor is careful and doesn't end up accidentally widening it and allowing demons/vampires/aliens/dinosaurs to slip through into our realm...

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:26:55

IgnoringTheChildren Sun 05-Jun-11 11:27:44

Well now I've read your latest post I feel sad for your dad.

It's definitely just a crack in the plaster, after all both next doors must have had surveys to be sold and they're fine!

IgnoringTheChildren Sun 05-Jun-11 11:29:30

Have you posted about washing machines yet?

<wanders off to look>

Silver1 Sun 05-Jun-11 11:30:10

Maybe it's like the entrance to Platform 93/4 and you are going to have to send a DC through to find out where it leads to

CurlyBoy Sun 05-Jun-11 11:36:21

It's highly unlikely the crack is serious. With it being a terrace if it was serious when next door sold than you would have known. I would bet that the structural integrity of the house is fine.

That said, if it IS some sort of crack in space/time I doubt it'll show up in a survey as surveyors are quite stuffy and probably wouldn't check for it. I suggest you get that little woman from "Poltergeist" over for a second opinion.

lesley33 Sun 05-Jun-11 11:41:35

Very unlikely the crack is anything except a crack in the plaster. But if I was buying I would want it checked out properly. The buyer may just be cautious like me and wants to be sure its fine.

Most buyers have a very minimal survey and the people who bought the terraced houses next door may have only had this done. I am more cautious and there is a large crack in our house that we had checked out before we bought. The expert thought it probably happened about 90 years ago, soon after the house was built and was purely a cosmetic issue. Probably be the same with yours.

IgnoringTheChildren Sun 05-Jun-11 11:41:41

otherpeoplevswhovians.tumblr.com/post/5022999683/other-people-vs-whovians-crack-in-the-wall

soverylucky Sun 05-Jun-11 11:41:50

lesley33 Sun 05-Jun-11 11:42:27

If it is a crack in space/time DON'T sell your house. It would be worth a fortune.

Punkatheart Sun 05-Jun-11 11:42:43

No it is indeed a portal to another world - if you catch it at a certain time, it will glow. Beyond and into the realms of the black unicorn - it calls you. It will call the surveyor too, hypnotise him until he has no will of his own...

confuseddotcodotuk Sun 05-Jun-11 11:47:12

ignoringthechildren: grin

It's definately a doorway to a parellel world. You may need the Subtle Knife to seal it back up to ensure that Dust doesn't leak through...

Madlizzy Sun 05-Jun-11 11:49:51

Prisoner Zero has escaped.

nenevomito Sun 05-Jun-11 11:50:13

Mortgage lenders are being wary about everything at the moment, so things that wouldn't bother them before are being checked and double checked.

With any luck they will get sucked into the vortex leading to the parallel universe on the other side of the crack and their alter-egos will come back and approve it all.

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 11:50:52

RustyBear Sun 05-Jun-11 11:54:30

Maybe the hordes from Hell would like to settle down in a nice terraced house - do you think they'd get a mortgage?

AnyFuleKno Sun 05-Jun-11 11:55:15

do you know what sort of plaster it is?

Our victorian era terrace has lime plaster which is terrible for cracking. I just patch them up

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 12:09:52

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: