Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask how "well" you speak?

(110 Posts)
buggerthebotox Sun 05-Jun-11 10:37:02

Saw and article in the Mail (sorry!!) about "declining standards of spoken English" and I am wondering how you all speak and whether you consider yourselves to be "well spoken"?

diabolo Sun 05-Jun-11 10:45:49

Not me! I'm a Northerner living in East Anglia, married to an uber-poshly spoken man from an uber-posh family.

My Northern relatives tell me I speak like a "southerner" and my local colleagues take the mickey out of my accent too!

I write the Queens English, but am very aware I don't speak it.

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Sun 05-Jun-11 10:48:12

Oh i'm a right scruffy old slothbag, but am able to string a sentence together and dare I say it, quite well spoken.

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 10:49:57

I speak naicely, the DDs speak fairly naicely, my parents are rather RP. It's sort of getting watered down IMO. The DDs are ever so slightly picking up the local accent, which is a lovely, gentle rural accent.

I'm happy about that.

PrinceHumperdink Sun 05-Jun-11 10:50:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whiteglovetest Sun 05-Jun-11 10:51:18

I speak reasonably well. I am not british though.

baguettecut Sun 05-Jun-11 10:53:01

I thinknu speak well. No double negatives or 'ain'ts'.

firstforthought Sun 05-Jun-11 10:54:08

Terrible! When I hear DD say wa'er instead of waTer - I cringe and know its my fault. DH hates it too as he speaks English as a second language. Have to just keep correcting her...

ScousyFogarty Sun 05-Jun-11 10:54:42

Its a good question, Bugger. When on the radio I tend to speak in proper sentences. Some would say a bit posher than normal. (But I am hardly an establishment geezer.) Not as posh as Gabby Logan, but similar to Richard Bacon who like me is a Midlkander. Accents still carry a lot of weight in England... too much really. It is content of speeachhich matters

sausagesandmarmelade Sun 05-Jun-11 10:55:45

Reasonably well I suppose...with some lapses

Reality Sun 05-Jun-11 10:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crazynanna Sun 05-Jun-11 10:57:37

I speak well good wink

I jest....am a Londoner so speak like all speak in the Saaaarf

WriterofDreams Sun 05-Jun-11 11:00:27

I have an Irish accent so when I utter my first sentence to someone they're always a bit confused as I speak far too fast and I don't think they expect the country bumpkinness grin Also I have about 400,000 sayings that no one understands, I say yo-gurt instead of yog -urt, my "t" sounds like "sh", my "th" sounds like "t" and I have an extremely flat "a." So, basically about as far from RP as you can get!

That said, my grammar is impeccable and I use a lot of long words that amuse people greatly. I'm told that my accent is lovely so I don't worry too much.

ENormaSnob Sun 05-Jun-11 11:03:18

I speak well but with a broad northern accent.

FabbyChic Sun 05-Jun-11 11:04:48

I;m a cockney, moved to Hampshire. I can speak well when it suits, but I don't generally put on heirs and graces.

buggerthebotox Sun 05-Jun-11 11:06:19

scousy - the article's journalist was making a point about Dave and SamCam's use of Estuary English in what he saw as a deliberate attempt to "dumb down", and to therefore be seen as more accessible. I love to hear a "posh" voice on the radio - think Ed Stourton - but I don't think that you have to be "posh" to be well-spoken. I also love to hear:

John Humphrys
Huw Edwards

I hate to hear:

Jamie Oliver
Jonathan Ross etc.

BrawToken Sun 05-Jun-11 11:10:16

I adjust my speech to the person - work in sw so deal with folks from all walks of life and try to make people comfortable by speaking 'their language' if that makes sense. I speak well, albeit with a Scottish accent. DD says I am posh - she is 3, so is currently experimenting grin

BulletWithAName Sun 05-Jun-11 11:23:36

I'm always shocked when I hear a recording of my voice because the voice on the tape sounds like Bianca Butcher, but huskier! I know I have a common sounding accent, but I didn't think it sounded that bad!

confuseddotcodotuk Sun 05-Jun-11 11:30:28

I think I have well spoken English most of the time, but have noticed that when around people with particular accents and dialects (Aussies/Kiwis/Saffas mainly, though Northerners too) I will pick up the dialects and accents very quickly, it drives my parents mad as I come home with a different accent/dialect every couple of months grin

Though I've always been happy of the fact that I've never spoken like my peers at school (proper Essex accents and dialect!) I was considered the 'posh' one!

lesley33 Sun 05-Jun-11 11:32:56

Impeccable grammar - usually; but a definite northern accent.

Madlizzy Sun 05-Jun-11 11:35:09

It depends on who I'm with. Generally day to day, I'm fairly well spoken with a hint of scouse. When I go back to the Wirral, the scouse comes out more. When i visit DH's family, I speak with no accent.

JennyPiccolo Sun 05-Jun-11 11:46:54

I speak excellent English, but much better Glaswegian.

LemoryMane Sun 05-Jun-11 11:51:35

I am perfectly capable of speaking 'Queen's English'- and usually write in it (I slack a bit on MN and via text) - but i am a proper Lodnoner and certainly don't speak it grin

More fool anyone who thinks because I am a cockney I am thick.

katvond Sun 05-Jun-11 11:52:06

I'm a brummie and speak with an accent.
I still speak the queens English though smile

BitOfFun Sun 05-Jun-11 11:55:10

I am quite well-spoken for the area I come from, but compared to Southerners I sound like a veloceraptor on speed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: