Talk

Advanced search

to NOT ditch the contents of my freezer because it was off overnight?

(28 Posts)
chrisonabike Sun 05-Jun-11 08:45:23

I know this because I just opened it.. Oh Arse. It would have been off from about 8pm when DP plugged his laptop in.

Of course I had just done a big re-stock with freezer packs of fish, quorn, veggie sausages etc. which I can't afford to replace at the mo. sad

AIBU to pretend it never happened (after flagellating DP, obv) and use the food as usual?

Or do I have to invite the whole street to a Freezer Food party tonight?

Bluemoonrising Sun 05-Jun-11 08:48:02

If it has been closed all night, it will be absolutely fine.

youmeatsix Sun 05-Jun-11 08:48:23

this depends on whether the contents are defrosted or not
freezers can stay cold enough to keep contents frozen for quite some time when switched off
if they are still frozen, just plug back in and on fast freeze for a few hours
if they food is defrosting, cook it and re freeze the items that can be re frozen, and use what you can today and tomorrow with those that cant

i wouldnt risk anything you are unsure about,

yousankmybattleship Sun 05-Jun-11 08:48:42

Don't re-freeze it! Have you checked your household insurance? Most cover freezer conents I think. It does sound like a fish finger street party for you though!!

chrisonabike Sun 05-Jun-11 08:50:01

<makes bunting out of oven chip packets>

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Sun 05-Jun-11 08:51:59

It was only switched off for about 12 hrs.

As long as the door hasn't been opened it should be fine. smile

altinkum Sun 05-Jun-11 08:52:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoreBeta Sun 05-Jun-11 08:54:53

Its fine. The door was closed, it was cool in the night. The temperature wil have hardly risen.

chrisonabike Sun 05-Jun-11 08:58:01

But I did open the door <sobs> It's one of those ruddy great chest freezers too..

aldiwhore Sun 05-Jun-11 08:59:48

I'd keep anything that's still frozen... and eat anything that's not... and then turn into an almightly tut tutting dragon with DP!!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 05-Jun-11 09:00:14

Is the stuff inside still frozen or is it all defrosted? If it's pretty much still frozen, you can plug the freezer back in, turn it on 'fast freeze' if that's an option and everything will be just fine. Anything that has totally melted you should cook up.

belgo Sun 05-Jun-11 09:02:18

It should be fine. My freezer maintains it's temperature for 24 hours.

Bluemoonrising Sun 05-Jun-11 09:02:40

A chest freezer is even better, the cold stays in it even when you have opened the door - so it will be fine.

Also, the recommended advice for not refreezing isn't so crucial for vegetarian foods, than it is for meat.

But honestly, surely the stuff wasn't defrosted in that time?

BluddyMoFo Sun 05-Jun-11 09:03:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

valiumredhead Sun 05-Jun-11 09:05:08

It'll be fine if you didn't open the door til this morning!

If not - cook everything and freeze it.

TattyDevine Sun 05-Jun-11 09:10:19

If its defrosted, you can cook it all up and then freeze it and it will be safe. Then you wont have to cook for ages!

TattyDevine Sun 05-Jun-11 09:10:32

Oh Valium already said it blush

QuickLookBusy Sun 05-Jun-11 09:11:20

Agree with valiumredhead.

Cook everything that has started to defrost-BUT make sure it is 100% defrosted before you start to cook it. <except mince I think>

chrisonabike Sun 05-Jun-11 09:12:02

I feel a bit better now. DB is a chef and reassures me that it's fine. The only stuff that was a bit defrosted was the bread and that was on the top, so hopefully insulating everything else.

I may still give DP the stinkeye until I get a cuppa for a while grin

largeginandtonic Sun 05-Jun-11 09:12:26

I feel for your freezer pain. Ours just died. We emptied and cooked everything but the waste was still depressing.

New one coming on Monday.

If it is still frozen, like everyone else is saying, it will be fine. Ice cream, bread etc.. are the first to defrost < laments 2 Ben and Jerry's tubs >

TattyDevine Sun 05-Jun-11 09:12:30

Just to add, it may not have defrosted enough to worry. Things like sausages may have - but blocks of things won't probably have...it takes a while really.

Do you have any ice cream in there (in a tub) ? Thats a good "tester" product - if its really soft or liquid then yes, its been too warm, but if its just an easy scooping temperature then its all probably fine.

chrisonabike Sun 05-Jun-11 09:13:38

I shall, in the interest of Health and Safety have ice cream as a second breakfast. Good thinking Tatty.

QuickLookBusy Sun 05-Jun-11 09:34:38

My DD once left the freezer door open after taking out an ice lolly.

I woke up the next morning and everything was half defrosted. I had just restocked it. Unfortunately it was the day we were going on holiday so
I didn't have any time to cook everything. I had to go and knock on some neighbours doors with a bag of food each.

They were very happy and because I insisted they ate all the food and didn't cook it and refreeze it for me, I got lots of little thank you pressies when I got back from holiday.

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 05-Jun-11 10:04:48

I've done this before and its fine, only the bread had started to soften and you can re-freeze bread safely so wasn't an issue. The only thing I did throw away was the ice cream as somebody told me that you shouldnt keep it if the freezer has been off overnight.

valiumredhead Sun 05-Jun-11 10:21:45

I have an alarm on my freezer - REALLY useful grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: