Talk

Advanced search

Sky diving

(14 Posts)
D0G Sat 04-Jun-11 22:01:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curtaincall Sat 04-Jun-11 22:05:11

Done that. Got the video. Before DC. Jumped and told loved ones later. Couldn't do it now. Safer than crossing the road though grin

BornInAfrica Sat 04-Jun-11 22:06:16

We drive because we have to. We fly in order to go on holiday. We cross the road to get to the other side.

Hurling yourself headlong out of an aeroplane however cannot really be said to have any purpose whatsoever. So sozzers but YABU with a young family to think about.

Yekke Sat 04-Jun-11 22:10:54

Doesn't it depend on the actual, rather than the perceived risk? I've no idea what that risk is but some research into the chances of something going wrong might help you make your mind up and/or reassure others. Maybe you need those facts and figures and then to compare them to, for example, the risks of something like riding a motorbike, something which many parents do/did yet others won't/won't do now they have children.

D0G Sat 04-Jun-11 22:12:08

D0G Sat 04-Jun-11 22:13:08

heleninahandcart Sat 04-Jun-11 22:15:27

Information and preparation. Check stats like Yekke said, and then asses the risk. Also if you are going to do it, make sure you have prepared. Paperwork and wishes in order, wishes for kids, possibly letters to kids for later? This might sound dramatic for what I assume is such a small risk but it is simply sensible. The if you decide to do it, go ahead and enjoy it!

ZXEightyMum Sat 04-Jun-11 22:17:44

Yes. It does. Not that risky anyway. At least without adequate insurance.

If you want to do it, fine, but if pressured, put a monetary figure and a negociate a contract wrt those people. They will back right off.

D0G Sat 04-Jun-11 22:22:13

heleninahandcart Sat 04-Jun-11 22:30:16

Some stats for you http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/sports.html

Skydiving 1 in 101,000
Running and 1 in 97,000

ratspeaker Sat 04-Jun-11 22:36:34

My DD did a sky dive for charity ( marie curie )
she set up a just giving page to sponsor the jump
paid for and trained herself
jumped with
www.skydivestrathallan.co.uk/index.htm

google skydiving and your area, then contact the clubs given in the results
check what training they'll do ( usually its how to duck and roll on landing -they'll start off on the ground then from heights, )
ask if they will let you go alone or in tandem

see if you think you can do it

Yekke Sat 04-Jun-11 22:40:18

Whatever you decide I admire you for your courage. I couldn't even contemplate it much less do it.

If you do decide to go ahead with it then please think about doing it for charity. After all, you may as well and it will benefit a heck of a lot of needy people or a worthwhile cause.

exoticfruits Sat 04-Jun-11 22:45:09

I take it you are going to be in tandem? If so go for it-it is one of the safest things. I did it a few weeks ago and it was great. The oldest woman they had last year was 84yrs and a man was older and going back for his second time!
You don't actually do anything except get in the right position and get your legs up to land. Much safer than driving your car! I would do it again if it wasn't so expensive.I raised a lot for charity. Definitely go for it!

D0G Sun 05-Jun-11 19:11:19

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: