Talk

Advanced search

To be more emotional than I anticipated about going back to work after maternity leave

(4 Posts)
doradaisy Sat 04-Jun-11 21:55:49

Hi all,
I have been on maternity leave since July 2010 and am going back to work next Tuesday.
My twin boys (born end of July 2010) are almost 11 months and are doing great. They're at a good age to start in the creche (no separation anxiety yet) and will have each other anyway.
I'm only going back to work part time (4 mornings) and I knew this was coming. I was telling everyone that I'm looking forward to it (which i am) and that it'd be good for the boys for social interaction and development. It was a busy and at times tough year so will be nice to be back using my brain and my qualifications (am a teacher, adult education).

However, just this evening am feeling really emotional about it all. Maybe it's nerves, or maybe it's the feeling of being back in a routine again (I also have a 3 year old DD so already did the working/drop off at creche routine) - y'know the endless getting lunches/bag ready. or maybe it's the mornings, getting everyone washed, dressed, showered, including DH as I spent last year waving him out the door in my pajamas. Or maybe am nervous at doing my job again as I don't feel like a teacher anymore, am more in the 'twin mommy' role. am afraid I won't be able to do it anymore. am dreading the first meeting back as will have to be in 'work' mode.

any comments/advice to kill and last minute nerves?!

emsyj Sat 04-Jun-11 21:58:47

Nope, but marking my place as I am back to work (and a new job to boot) on Monday having been on mat leave since May 2010!

HumphreyCobbler Sat 04-Jun-11 22:01:42

I just went back to work after four and a half years. Don't worry about remembering how to do it, you will. It just comes back. I am a teacher too btw.

You will just slot into that routine thing and then really appreciate weekends (which I never really did as a SAHM).

I think it is normal to be nervous, I was terrified, but it passes really quickly. Good luck.

HappySeven Sat 04-Jun-11 22:17:34

I went back 2 months ago after my second maternity leave. I was very emotional and found it hard to settle and concentrate for the first couple of weeks but can honestly say it's fine now. My DD loves nursery now (she wasn't thrilled at being dropped off to start with) and while I do think of them both during the day I'm no longer counting the minutes till I get to go and get them. I found the few weeks before starting back at work the hardest though.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now