Talk

Advanced search

to not let my dd have her ears pearced

(123 Posts)
libbylobs Sat 04-Jun-11 20:10:10

my dd has come home from a playdate, and now wants her ears pearced, she is only 6 and i think its to young ., what do you think? x

GypsyMoth Sat 04-Jun-11 20:10:44

i think its pierced!!

BelovedCunt Sat 04-Jun-11 20:10:54

no, do it, and her nips

GypsyMoth Sat 04-Jun-11 20:12:07

lol beloved,why stop there??

Jonnyfan Sat 04-Jun-11 20:12:12

Pierced. And I think 6 is too young.

FabbyChic Sat 04-Jun-11 20:12:57

Far too young. Tell her when she is 13 you will consider it.

libbylobs Sat 04-Jun-11 20:13:14

thanks tiffany, shows how thick i am .x

yankiedoodledandy Sat 04-Jun-11 20:14:18

No way, it's so chavvy on little girls, and don't get me started on babies with pierced ears!!! 10 at least I think, when she goes to high school.

WorzselMummage Sat 04-Jun-11 20:14:26

I think it's up to you. I was 8 when mine were done and my 6 year old has asked for hers done and I have said not yet.. no doubt i'll let her when she pesters me into submission and can appreciate the pain etc.

6 is maybe on the edge of being to young but no-where near as 'too young' as babies and toddlers.

shirleyshortcut Sat 04-Jun-11 20:14:26

pierced and i had mine done at 6 and was fine and not mentally scarred

libbylobs Sat 04-Jun-11 20:15:50

yep i think 13 is about right age. oops a sulky 6 yr old. x

TheFlyingOnion Sat 04-Jun-11 20:16:27

nope too young

unless you are a chav, in which case, go for it grin

beesimo Sat 04-Jun-11 20:17:34

I pierced my DDs ears a month before their 7 birthday so they could have their first important piece of jewellery on their 7

Using the cork method DD1 and 2 never shed a tear DD3 screamed the house down 'stop Mammy' then 'no Mammy I wants them' then 'stop Mammy'

Tortoise Sat 04-Jun-11 20:18:51

My DD's, ages 6 & 8, have been told they can have them done at the start of the summer holidays before secondary school, so around age 10-11.
DS2 wants his done this summer! He's 11 so i can't really say no when i have told DD's that age.

usualsuspect Sat 04-Jun-11 20:18:53

chav responses standard

slartybartfast Sat 04-Jun-11 20:19:20

she has got to be able to take care of her pierced ears herself.
11 i would think, depends on her ability to look after herself

cannydoit Sat 04-Jun-11 20:21:41

did both mine when they were 8, thats when i had mine done.

GingerWrath Sat 04-Jun-11 20:22:23

I had mine pierced the first time at six..in 1978..my grandmother took me to have them done without my Mum's permission, then had them done a second time at 13, with my aunt, without my Mum's permission! I think if they are old enough to ask, and they are old enough to understand it will hurt then it is fine.

fifi25 Sat 04-Jun-11 20:26:04

I have 3 dds. Eldest 2 got their ears pierced in yr1 as all their friends were getting theirs done. They couldnt do PE for nearly 12 weeks as they do not heal after 6. I got youngest's pierced when she was 2.5 so they were healed and i wouldnt have to go through her missing PE. Big mistake they got infected and had to be surgically removed.

I wouldnt advise her to have them done as they have to remove them for pe by themselves as the teachers are not allowed to.

timmysamba Sat 04-Jun-11 20:27:50

My 7 year old dd's friend is having her ears pierced. Dd now wants hers pierced - no way. Far too young imo. They have to take them in and out for pe. I told her 11 at the earliest, well, when she starts secondary school so 11.5.

I can't understand why anyone would want their ears pierced. Mine are still virgin!

GingerWrath Sat 04-Jun-11 20:31:32

timmysamba...I am glad mine are pierced as I inherited a pair of very nice vintage platinum and diamond earrings from a great aunt that would be sat in my jewellery box otherwise!

giveitago Sat 04-Jun-11 20:32:26

As her parent you need to decide when you think it would be acceptable. Go with your gut instinct and think about who would do it for her - how it would heal if she's very active and into rough playing etc.

Do not worry about people thinking is chavy - why would you care about what other people think?

Back in my day it was 16 yet my junior school had a policy of only allowing small studs at school so there must have been younger girls with earrings.

I had mine done around 4 and it was considered very late. That's my mum's culture. My dad's english and he was happy enough with it as he thought that most girls want them done eventually so why wait.

I'm glad she did it as I'd have been too much a coward to have it done as a teen.

We're nothing like chavvy. If you worry about people thinking your child is a chav child then that's a pity.
Having said that if I see a european child very young with piercings I do a bit of a double take only because it's rare.

You don't sound keen so don't let her.

pointythings Sat 04-Jun-11 20:44:35

I had mine done at 13, both my DDs want their done but later - I explained how it would feel (had 2nd ones done in my 20s so remember it well) and they decided to wait until they are older - probably when youngest is 11 and at the start of the summer holidays.

I've just inherited a lot of lovely earrings from my late lovely MIL, I think of her every time I wear them and am glad I have the pierced ears for them.

squeakytoy Sat 04-Jun-11 20:49:22

I had mine done during the summer holidays before going to high school. I think that is the right age to be mature enough to look after them properly yourself.

As for piercing your own kids ears Beesimo hmm

A1980 Sat 04-Jun-11 20:51:23

I had mine done at about 9 and that was too young.

It does hurt and it has to be cleaned twice a day for at least 8 weeks. I was too scared to cahnge them after 8 weeks and wouldn't let my mum do it either. They got massively infected and had to come out. I got them done again at 17. Tell her a few scare stories grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now