Talk

Advanced search

To go upstairs and keep out of the way when SIL comes this afternoon ?

(9 Posts)
OnEdge Sat 04-Jun-11 13:53:09

I don't like her much, and her daughter is spoilt. I have 3 kids aged 4 and under . I run my own business and usually work away at weekends. I have given myself a weekend off and now she is coming. Also bringing round their Nan who is 85 and has altzheimers.( I'm not really into the Nan much, but I don't feel guilty because at Christmas when she desperately needed care, the family had a stand off and all left her house one by one making a point. She would have been left alone over night, but was not safe and very agitated. I sat with her for 8 hours and arranged some emergency care. I had a 16 week old baby at the time. I am mentioning this otherwise posters will say I am drip feeding if i mention it later )

I just want to sit up here in my bedroom on my own. I think my Husband ought to entertain them because its his family.

AIBU ?? Am I being selfish with my time ??

MinnieBar Sat 04-Jun-11 13:57:16

YABU to sit upstairs - go out and read a book in the park. Have an ice-cream while you're there...

MissFenella Sat 04-Jun-11 13:58:16

Far better to tell her not to come than ignore her. Sitting in your room is childish.

If you won't put her off why not go out for a pamper or walk somewhere?

Zimm Sat 04-Jun-11 13:58:56

50/50 - Yes you shouldn't have to spend precious free time with unpleasant people, but these people are your family. I'd say go out for most of their visit (you will look really rude if you sit upstairs) and return in time to have a quick cuppa with them, saying you had planned your trip out weeks ago etc.

TidyDancer Sat 04-Jun-11 14:20:55

Yes, you are being selfish. But it's not out of order. I wouldn't stay upstairs though, it looks childish and like you're throwing a tantrum. I would calming explain to them that you're sorry but you have prior plans that you can't break, so you're going out.

OnEdge Sat 04-Jun-11 14:28:30

I'm already pissed off because she is half an hour late.

Iy wasn't a sulking thing, more of a skulking one grin I'm not doing it in protest, just want some peace grin

Think I will have a polite cup of tea, and then make an excuse and slope off.

MadamDeathstare Sat 04-Jun-11 14:34:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purplepidjin Sat 04-Jun-11 14:56:02

Prime your best mate ring with an "emergency" and you're the only one she trusts to look after the youngest kids while she takes the eldest to a+e grin

rey Sat 04-Jun-11 15:03:46

IME and therefore IMO YANBU at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now