Talk

Advanced search

To go to town and blow a few hundred £ on clothes?

(68 Posts)
mosschops30 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:50:03

i know there will be the usual 'not if you dont have the cash, only if you are completely debt free, pay off your overdraft etc'

But ..... I look the same on every set if photos from the last 5 years holidays, and i swore this year id revamp my wardrobe.
I have lost tons of weight and toned up to a size 6-8 and i feel fab and want to spoil myself.

Now i dont need masses but would like a casual maxi dress, a nice pair of flat sandals, a few tops, 2 new bras, 2 new bikinis and a pair of cropped chino trouser things.

I have made a plan for the next 6 months and will clear my credit card this month (0% runs out and new card starts), pay holiday off, and clear the remaining £400 of my graduate overdraft, all by october.

So AIBU?

LynetteScavo Sat 04-Jun-11 09:52:04

YANBU.

Go shop!

StuckInTheMiddleWithYou Sat 04-Jun-11 09:52:23

It's your money and you have no need to justify yourself to the world.

However, I either wouldn't do this in your financial situation or at least stick to charity shops.

But then I'm terrified of poverty/debt.

unspoilmykid Sat 04-Jun-11 09:52:24

<<keeps schtum after just spending £50K in cash on something indulgent<<

Go for it

kw1986 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:53:17

YANBU

Although you have debt it doesn't sound like "bad debt"... So if you have a few hundred to spare then why not!!

BTW, primark have plain maxi dresses with a shirred boob area and then the rest is just plain fabric for £9. :P

ohnoudidnt Sat 04-Jun-11 09:54:15

No Go for it! Have fun shopping.Also if you have lost so much weight,you can not be expected to wear your old clothes.

kw1986 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:54:26

unspoilmykid Ooohhh what did you buy? :P

ScrotalPantomime Sat 04-Jun-11 09:56:59

Do it do it do it!

TheFlyingOnion Sat 04-Jun-11 09:58:13

go for it!! But why does it have to be hundreds of pounds?

I got a pile of really nice stuff from TK Max a few weeks ago for about £120. IMO you shouldn't be going to expensive places unless you've got the money...

unspoilmykid Sat 04-Jun-11 09:58:55

A walled garden for my kid to play in (nearby). Doesnt help with my membername I know

Meglet Sat 04-Jun-11 09:59:22

yanbu.

Get some cheap fashion-y items and some 'classic' items. There might be some sales starting already.

If you fill in the gaps in your wardrobe it will keep you going for ages. Then be very strict and pay your credit card off.

mosschops30 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:59:35

stuck what do you mean 'in your financial situation'? Me an dh both work, have good jobs, have a small managable mortgage, we have minimal clearable credit card debt (on 0% cards only). Ive never shopped in a charity shop, id rather wear my old stuff.

Yes lots of my old stuff is just hanging off me, and some of it just looks like ive worn it every summer for the last 5 years. My bras are the worst, offering no support to my shrunken norks grin

I have the cash, but will put it on my new 0% card to pay off over the year

mosschops30 Sat 04-Jun-11 10:00:13

When i say hundreds i mean £200max

slartybartfast Sat 04-Jun-11 10:02:37

go for it,
y ou have to,
everyone needs to shop for clothes once in a while

TheFlyingOnion Sat 04-Jun-11 10:04:02

oh and what's the point of losing weight and looking fabtastic if you've got no nice clothes to show off in?

Buy the tightest pair of skinny jeans you can find.... (Zara have some super tight ones!)

QuickLookBusy Sat 04-Jun-11 10:05:38

Definitely go for it, especially the bras!

Enjoy yourselfsmile

hoovercraft Sat 04-Jun-11 10:05:43

It will be so worth it. I lost loads of weight once and went to buy new clothes and actually cried when I saw myself in the change room mirrors. Its was the most "worth it" experience ever.

mosschops30 Sat 04-Jun-11 10:06:22

I do fancy some skinny cropped trousers from zara

camdancer Sat 04-Jun-11 10:07:36

Start with some really good new bras. It'll make all your other clothes look so much better.

Cyclops99 Sat 04-Jun-11 10:09:07

Go for it! You've lost weight so I would say you NEED some new clothes.

In second Primark for a lot of clothes for not much money. Also Matalan, Tescos and H & m. The sales are starting to get going in a few shops too though if you hold out for a few more weeks they should all be in full swing.

52Girls Sat 04-Jun-11 10:11:08

YES! Go and enjoy yourself, have a nice lunch too. I've splurged on jewellery this week - does wonders for the spirit!

magicmelons Sat 04-Jun-11 10:12:02

YANBU, it's an investment in the new you wink

TheFlyingOnion Sat 04-Jun-11 10:12:35

I got down to a size 10 last year and did a lap of Gap when I fitted into their skinny jeans grin.

I also called two friends from the changing room to celebrate blush

H&M's got some lovely summer stuff at the moment.

mosschops30 Sat 04-Jun-11 10:14:03

Ooh quite excited by all these positive posts, thought id be shot down in flames.

TheFlyingOnion Sat 04-Jun-11 10:21:17

on AIBU?

Never! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: