Talk

Advanced search

Can you all stop using 'are you a man?' or similar as an insult/putdown on here please?

(91 Posts)
Reality Sat 04-Jun-11 08:30:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wellnerfermind Sat 04-Jun-11 08:33:31

Typical man.

JenniL1977 Sat 04-Jun-11 08:35:06

@ nefermind grin

Georgimama Sat 04-Jun-11 08:37:25

I've got feminism hidden because of that sort of thing.

There are threads where it is meant in the right way - I asked someone on a thread where the OP was fretting about whether (s)he and partner were "achieving" the right things with their 5 week old and it just seemed quite a male thought pattern - wanting to be on target, to achieve etc and babies really don't go along with that mindset and I wanted to gently make that point, so it wasn't an insult or a criticism.

Tee2072 Sat 04-Jun-11 08:41:00

Me too, Georgimama.

And because I think they don't accept that there are different types of feminism.

But I digress...totally agree with you Reality. How insulting to half the world's population.

PinkSchmoo Sat 04-Jun-11 08:41:25

Can someone explain why?

Don't understand. Is it because it's mums net?

BTW YANBU

EricNorthmansMistress Sat 04-Jun-11 08:42:20

Are you a man? hmm

jasper Sat 04-Jun-11 08:45:43

well said Reality.
Imagine "are you a woman?' as an insult on Dadsnet

MoreBeta Sat 04-Jun-11 08:46:16

In all my time on MN I have never once been asked if I was a man.

Really. Not once!

<harumph> sad

SunshineisSorry Sat 04-Jun-11 08:46:27

Is there a feminist board then? oh er!! i did actually say this to someone last night, it wasn't an insult, it just seemed like a very male point of view and way of speaking. I quite like like men so it wasn't an insult as i say - said person went on to get all defensive and bitchy so i say i got it wrong, was defo a woman grin

invertedsnobbery Sat 04-Jun-11 08:47:18

I take it as a compliment grin

Wellnerfermind Sat 04-Jun-11 08:55:09

If more men did post on here I think they'd be surprised at the contempt they are held in, in a large number of posts.

The entitled twats.

Gster Sat 04-Jun-11 08:57:01

I'm a man just case anyone wants to ignore me smile

i have come accross some quite insulting posts during the odd thread. Stuff like ' all men are full of bullshit' , ' never trust any
man.' and the like. Or I just been ignored.

Part of me thinks maybe I shouldn't be here, but have met some wonderful very funny women here, who appreciate to odd male opinion as long as I'm not an idiot. And being a separated dad, it's a great sourse of advice... and banter.

crazynanna Sat 04-Jun-11 09:00:48

For me,my answer to the question "are you a man" could be "possibly",because I have concluded in my wiser years that I certainly have more balls than most of the men I know wink

Longtalljosie Sat 04-Jun-11 09:04:04

Well, that's because we blinkin' well know you're a man MoreBeta!

Gster - just out of interest though, you must get those sorts of sweeping statements in male-dominated company? I've heard "all women are mad" or variants a few times...

SpeedyGonzalez Sat 04-Jun-11 09:04:41

Gster, everyone gets ignored sometimes, I wouldn't take it to heart grin. But the other stuff you wrote about is awful. I've seen implied anti-male bias on here but nothing that stark. Unacceptable.

I once 'accused' a troll of being a man, but that's only because he was wearing a dress posting a ridiculous thread under a female name.

Well done for starting this thread, Reality.

SpeedyGonzalez Sat 04-Jun-11 09:05:52

Oi, MoreBeta! Are you a man or summat?

Feel better? grin

You in NZ yet?

Longtalljosie Sat 04-Jun-11 09:06:01

Oh yes I missed that. Some threads you're ignored, it's more to do with when the next poster / OP refreshed their browser than anything to take personally...

Gster Sat 04-Jun-11 09:24:31

LongTailJosie

yes you're right, but only in jest, I've read things here in advice pages to that tune. It's almost the default. There are of course women here who've had to put up with terrible men, ( i tend to shuffle around in lone parent / legal ), men who don't see their kids, don't pay their share etc.

It is understandable to a degree.Generally though I do feel I'm viewed with suspicion if i reveal my sex.

What i do find amazing is how fast threads on here turn into bun fights.

happymole Sat 04-Jun-11 09:39:42

I read the thread that you are referring to Gster , I really hate that attitude. Some women and men have suffered terribly at the hands of the opposite sex. That, however doesn't make it okay to make comments like 'don't worry he's a bloke he will lost interest' (in relation to contact with children), any more than It would be okay to say that all women are screeching harpies.

I tend to judge people online and rl as people, not with preconceived ideas. I've met men who are arseholes of the highest order and women who are nasty and twisted.

I'm a equal opportunities abuser grin

MoreBeta Sat 04-Jun-11 09:41:24

Longtall - its amusing how many times people have assumed I am a woman though. grin

Speedy - no we have postoned our NZ jaunt due to natural disasters and dreadful currency exchange rates.

katvond Sat 04-Jun-11 09:43:39

I thought men were allowed to post on here. Ive replied to a few threads started by men. They've as much right to post as anyone else. I like variety on here smile

SardineQueen Sat 04-Jun-11 09:46:52

There are a couple of situations where it's an OK question (as a question rather than an insult IYSWIM).

Otherwise I agree with you.

I do think that it's unwise to assume that when someone doesn't agree with you it's because they don't "get it", in this case because they are a man. Sometimes people simply disagree with you because they are dim wink

TheFlyingOnion Sat 04-Jun-11 09:53:00

ooh I rarely "get" that anyone's a man unless they make it plain. I suppose I presume everyone is female unless told differently.

Gster I didn't know you were a man!

Gster Sat 04-Jun-11 09:56:07

..... Overall though , I think once I cleared the Twat-o-meter i was accepted by a somewhat rude smile but lovely group of women. And i really appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: