Talk

Advanced search

to really like Facebook?

(22 Posts)
ohmyfucksy Fri 03-Jun-11 23:41:52

I think it's great.

I can see my friends' photos and what they're up to. It's much easier to organise events and invite people to things, and get a good estimate of numbers. You can stay 'in touch' with people without actually having to ring them or actively seek them out. You get more people saying 'happy birthday' when it's your birthday, which is gratifying.

I don't have anyone on my FB page who annoys me, so only nice things come up on my feed.

I don't really understand how anyone can start a fight on Facebook unless they are an adolescent - I have never seen a real-life Facebook argument that kicked off a la Lamebook.

usualsuspect Fri 03-Jun-11 23:44:09

I like it too
I only have people I like on my fb

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 23:45:27

I really like facebook too! My best friend lives in Venice and I get to see all her things and chat for free. Also, many of my other friends are really spread out around UK/US. YANBU.

Yukana Fri 03-Jun-11 23:48:26

I like the fact I can contact people I couldn't find anywhere else on Facebook, the games can be sometimes fun to waste time on if I have some spare, too.

However, I don't like how facebook has no contact details, I dislike the profile changes they keep making (and are unnecessary let alone ugly in my opinion) and I dislike how people seem to look at you like you're mad if you don't have one.

AlfalfaMum Fri 03-Jun-11 23:50:14

I like it too. All my life I've moved around a lot, and lost track of some very good people along the way. Now I've found some of them again smile

And I love that friends of mine in Australia and America and everywhere can see pictures of my kids (and me!)

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 23:55:05

I don't have friends I don't really know in RL on FB, Find it a bit weird when people have 350 plus friends.

swampster Fri 03-Jun-11 23:59:44

I love it - I feel the world is a much kinder place knowing that people I have cared about and lost touch with are out there and easily contactable. I've moved about a bit and am back in touch with people I've known since nursery and before and only lost contact with once I hit my teenage years.

I love the light tendrils of touch, seeing what's going on in friends' lives and the fact that it does make it very easy to arrange meet-ups.

I also love this map.

begonyabampot Sat 04-Jun-11 00:11:05

I like it for many of the reasons already mentioned. Have lived in different countries so have family and friends far and wide. Have also caught up with old, old friends i had lost touch with and was nice to see how they were doing even if we don't keep in touch long term. In fact, meeting up with 2 this weekend who I haven't seen for nearly 20 yrs and all through FB. Also found out 1 old friend had died recently through FB.

I never see any of these dodgy profiles, bitching, fighting on FB that you read about. But I just delete or hide anyone who has annoyed me.

Morph2 Sat 04-Jun-11 00:14:33

i love it too, i am friends with quite a few people from school on FB that i haven't seen for years and probably won't, nothing against them we just aren't close enough to make the effort. I has first baby last year and so did a few friends from school so was nice to compare

livetolaugh Sat 04-Jun-11 00:18:57

I like it as it keeps me in touch with family and friends but I find it very boring compared to twitter. It depends what you use it for

sausagesandmarmelade Sat 04-Jun-11 08:22:07

Lots of people love it...which is probably why it's so popular.

The problem is that so many become totally dependent/addicted to it that they can't do anything in RL without updating their FB and sending pics.
I think that's rather sad.

For some, their online relationships have become more important than the real life ones that they have...which sometimes become neglected as partners/parents etc spend hours chatting online rather than nurturing the relationships they already have and doing meaningful things offline.

Also many people are under the false presumption that they have become minor celebrities and that everyone is just hankering to hear the latest snippets of their lives.

That's pretty sad...

But if it works for you.....then good!

altinkum Sat 04-Jun-11 08:26:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

unspoilmykid Sat 04-Jun-11 08:30:04

Me too. I have family overseas so its been fabulous to share photos, little updates etc so easily. I have a very closed list.

backjustforaminute Sat 04-Jun-11 08:30:09

I love it too, I live abroad and love how I still know what's going on in my home town even though I haven't set foot there in about six years.

I hardly ever update my status, mostly just post photos.

unspoilmykid Sat 04-Jun-11 08:31:46

INVALUABLE for those with all their friend and family os, in fact.

squeezemebakingpowder Sat 04-Jun-11 08:37:13

I too love facebook. I have only people I like too, and as I have friends and family living abroad it's a great way to keep in touch and see what they're getting up to!
I also have never experienced a facebook kick-off!

happybubblebrain Sat 04-Jun-11 08:38:02

I LOVE facebook. I think it's possibly the best invention ever. I wish people used it more. I love looking at photos of my friends and family and love it when they comment on my photos. It's great for sharing ideas, having discussions and debates, organising events, wishing people happy birthday, letting people know how you feel. And, I don't understand why it comes under so much critiscism. I don't think I've missed a day of fb since I joined 4 years ago and I update my status almost daily.

HaughtyChuckle Sat 04-Jun-11 08:41:35

nope I do too smile

aldiwhore Sat 04-Jun-11 08:54:13

I love facebook... though it can cause problems, but only if your friends are wankers. I learned the hard way. An innocent coffee with a friend, a shop round town and within an hour a certain group of friends were gossiping and creating 'offence' that they hadn't been invited.... still imo, it did me a favour, I have the measure of them now. (They forgot I was in a a group they're all in and got caught bitching out of school pmsl) I found it amusing.

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoDuck Sat 04-Jun-11 08:55:06

It's my link back to people in the UK, I get to keep up to date with how my friends' children are growing/changing/what they're doing/etc and I can keep my friends and family up to date with how mine are. Everyone is kept up to date without someone feeling put out because they didn't get a phone call or something.

begonyabampot Sat 04-Jun-11 09:14:01

so maybe it works better for those who live far from friends and family rather than those who still live nearby. Generally, the people on my FB friends list are those I can't meet up or chat with face to face or hard to call due to time differences and cost etc.

mrsbiscuits Sat 04-Jun-11 09:15:37

I like FB too. I think if you use it for what you want ...in my case keeping up with friends and family who don't live close by etc. then it works.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: