Advanced search

to ask about "DIY" surgery?

(94 Posts)
Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 20:48:35

Have you ever done any? If so what did you do?

So, I'm asking because I have a small cyst-type thing near my eyelashes. It actually looks like a tiny fat-filled cyst (bleurgh).
It's very small (about 1mm), not causing me discomfort or really impinging on my life but I don't like it. I "feel" it when I'm rubbing my eye or applying mascara etc.
I don't think it's even that visible to others.
I don't really want to go and see the GP as it's not exactly a big deal and it would take weeks to even get a referral for something like this.
So I'm thinking about trying to break it open with a sterilised needle or somesuch. What can I try? Hot compresses or something?
(If it helps, I can easily lay my hands on a scalpel)

I'm also prepared to be told I'm being ridiculous to even try messing with it - it's been there for about 1-2 years and is just annoying!

dexter73 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:50:03

If it has been there for so long I would just wait for a doctor to do it rather than do it myself. Not worth the risk IMO.

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 20:54:57

That's the thing - I feel it's not exactly a medical problem. More a cosmetic one that just irks me blush

worldgonemad72 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:56:48

sounds like a skin tag to me, the doctor would be able to remove it for you easily. People used to tie string around them until they fell off...not that im recommending you do that though.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 03-Jun-11 21:00:36

Probably best left or see a qualified beautician ( for advice, they might not want to touch anywhere near eyes)
If its been there so long its unlikely to be anything like an infection;as you say its more likely to be a millia(I think thats the right name)

If you go in with needles and scalpels you may risk infection and scarring.

I had one on my eyelid for ages and it disappeared of its own accord

LeChatRouge Fri 03-Jun-11 21:06:05

Some GPs are able to do this in their surgeries, why not go and see the nurse at yours and see if there is a GP within your Practise that does this.

If it is bothering you, it'll be worth it. I wouldn't risk the scalpel near your eye.

You don't want to end up like this wink

Beamur Fri 03-Jun-11 21:07:19

I had something similar, and in my rash and foolish teens attacked it with a needle dipped in TCP.
Small scab, no scarring, sorted.
Not the sort of advice I would give now I'm all grown up and sensible.

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 21:09:43

Oh, that's interesting LordOfTheFlies - maybe it will just go then!

worldgonemad - it's not a "tag" though. It's flattish so nothing to tie off.

I think I'll just leave it tbh - Lord made me think about how horrible it would be if I got an infection. Big black eye scenario!

Thanks folks! I'm an inveterate "poker and prodder" - I need to learn to leave well alone grin

worldgonemad72 Fri 03-Jun-11 21:12:00

ah , sorry i misunderstood, probably best get a doctor to look at it for you then.

PacificDogwood Fri 03-Jun-11 21:12:00

Could it be Milia?

Some beauticians will treat them with a small nick with a sterile needle.

I'd not advise you tackle it yourself, but you are an adult (I assume wink - you could of course be a teenaged boy; they get these as well).

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 21:12:02

Hahaha @ LeChatRouge - no! That would be rubbish!

Beamur - I know what you mean - I did all sort of crap like that when I was young and daft!

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 21:13:47

OK - here's my idea. Save it up for a time when I have to go to the GP with summat else. They are very good at our surgery and will listen to a list!!

LeChatRouge Fri 03-Jun-11 21:16:26

Think of all the wrinkly old fannies doctors have to look at - they'll probably be quite pleased to look at your eyelid.

thejoanwilder Fri 03-Jun-11 21:23:29

I occasionally get those millia things. Often if I change my moisturiser i'll get one or two crop up. I'm from the highly irresponsible 'poke it with a needle' school. Most go away with no issue, but some seem to lie deeper than others iyswim, so a little more involved. I'm gross, aren't I..?

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 21:25:48

Hah! - thank you Lord for the image!!
PacificDogwood - I can't decide if it's a millia because it's on the eyelash line and seems to be more like a blocked eyelash follicle or something.

I shall bring it up the next time I have occassion to visit the GP.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 03-Jun-11 21:25:59

Chances arr though that gp won't do it if its purely cosmetic, they're cutting back. I have a cyst on my neck, gp referred me to a specalist gp. I got bored waiting and dh cut it out with a veg knife and an empty beer bottle. Appt came through so i cancelled it.

A year later its back, gp now won't refer me. So i keep hacking at it, it goes for a bit but comes back. Thete are good cyst removal teaching videos on youtube. You need to get the sac out. Dh is too squeamish to go that deep and i can't get to it.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 03-Jun-11 21:27:12

Now even i would draw the line at something on the lash line.

suzikettles Fri 03-Jun-11 21:29:45

I got rid of mine with a sterilised needle. Wee jab and a squeezed the white stuff out <boak>. Mine was more the top of my cheek though rather than very close to the eye.

PacificDogwood Fri 03-Jun-11 21:34:18

New offereing: Filiform wart? grin

I had one of those fuckers removed as it was interfering with my line of sight. Plastic surgeon did it. Local anaesthetic to the eyelid hurt a lot.
<<faints at thought of DIY cyst removal incl capsule>>

fairydoll Fri 03-Jun-11 21:41:29

I get those filiform things a lot and just twist them every day til they die and fall off

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 21:46:14

OMG Viva - a vegetable knife and a bottle <faints in sympathy with Pacific>

Oh and it's not that wart thing!

I reckon it's a cyst from a blocked eye-lash follicle or something like it.

TBH if it wasn't on the lash line I'd have dealt with it by now but I'm scared of slipping with a needle!

Oh well - it won't kill me and it's not gross or anything!

Imnotaslimjim Fri 03-Jun-11 21:50:38

If its a milia, spend a couple of minutes a few times a day massaging it roughly (not sure it you can get to it properly on the lash line) and the fat will eventually break up and either disperse or (if its close enough to the skin surface) come out. I get them quite regular so I'm always having to rub at one!

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jun-11 21:54:59

Would rubbing your eye count then Imnotaslimjim?

I do this a lot in hayfever season! I shall give it a try!!

ZXEightyMum Fri 03-Jun-11 21:56:11

I've given myself Angelina Jolie lips. Julia Roberts lips they were back in the nineties. Temporary but very effective for parties.

BP coconut oil and a 1 ml syringe from Boots.

Melt the oil on a radiator while you drink vodka prepare yourself, draw the oil up and inject into the corners. Just the corners.

Gently squeeze to spread it out.

And don't over-do it or you will be unable to hold your cigarette in your mouth hmm

I imagine that there are Youtube clips about this sort of thing these days.

That does sound incredibly irresponsible but really, compared to what most people were doing in the early nineties...

PacificDogwood Fri 03-Jun-11 21:56:12

Yy, massage is good, also moist heat aka used tea bag - the round ones are perfect for eyes grin. Do let it cool - I will not be responsible for your 3rd degree burn on your face, you hear <<stern face>>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: