Talk

Advanced search

I'm not talking to my 3 yr old

(83 Posts)
HystericalMe Fri 03-Jun-11 20:31:29

AIBU? I can't talk to my nearly 4 yr old. About half an hour ago he threw a toy out of the window. One my parents bought for me when, and where, I was born.

I literally feel so sad and angry if I talk to him I'll start shouting. So I feel like I can't be bothered to do his normal story.

I've left him in his bed.

squeakytoy Fri 03-Jun-11 20:32:56

Why are you letting a 3yr old play with something that is so precious to you?. Of course you are being unreasonable, a child that age would not understand the sentimental value of anything.

usualsuspect Fri 03-Jun-11 20:33:10

YABU

and a bit of a loon

Hes 3

begonyabampot Fri 03-Jun-11 20:33:49

seriously? mine are older but no matter how much they have annoyed me, i still have to kiss them goodnight and tell them I love them - so YABU I guess.

TrinityIsAShreddingFatRhino Fri 03-Jun-11 20:34:41

he shouldn't have had it in the first place

please stop being so mean

HystericalMe Fri 03-Jun-11 20:34:53

Ok i'll go put him to bed. I know, I wouldn't feel the same if it was anything else.

Georgimama Fri 03-Jun-11 20:34:54

Your username says it all really. You know you are being unreasonable. He's 3 for Christ's sake. You must have allowed him with the toy, near an open window. It's your fault he's broken it and you're angry with yourself.

pigletmania Fri 03-Jun-11 20:35:39

YABU, if it was that sentimental to you, would make sure it was out of sight. My dd has destroyed toys that I used to play with, but I was fine as I rescued them from my mums loft as they were gathering dust. I would rather she had fun with them, then they sitting there doing nothing. Get a grips woman, your ds is only 3 he does not know its the toy you used to play with when you were 1.

Squitten Fri 03-Jun-11 20:36:52

I'd be mad at myself for leaving something so precious where he can get at it! He's only 3...

Happymm Fri 03-Jun-11 20:36:53

YABVVVVVU. He's 3, you're a grownup. If it was that precious put it away somewhere safer. And to not tell his bedtime story, give cuddles, tel him you love him...over an object? shock

SunshineisSorry Fri 03-Jun-11 20:41:28

Oh, im sorry that you have lost your toy, bit silly to let him have it, but i understand why you would have wanted him to play wiht it, i also get why you were upset enough to not want to talk to him for fear of shouting, better than screaming at him. Go and give him a cuddle and a story - then go pour yourself a big glass of wine

Mutt Fri 03-Jun-11 20:42:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SmethwickBelle Fri 03-Jun-11 20:42:58

I do understand why you are upset. My DS, also nearly four recently smashed a teapot that my dearly departed granny gave me when I was 10. He badly wanted to play tea parties with it, (was in the shape of a cat) I'd asked him to be careful. It was hard to be reasonable, or controlled when it was swept onto the floor as part of a bit of a insta-tantrum and it was shattered. I was reasonable and controlled but I was cross and no I didn't want to talk to him.

Yes it did prompt me to move everything precious totally out of reach (not just higher).

Go and give him a cuddle when you've calmed down. I hope the toy is salvageable.

YummyHoney Fri 03-Jun-11 20:45:12

This is a wind up.

usualsuspect Fri 03-Jun-11 20:45:55

There seems to be a lot of wind ups about atm

Pissing me right off

sleepingsowell Fri 03-Jun-11 20:46:30

I am really hoping this thread is a wind up and that no grown adult would think that way

If not...what Mutt said.

Mutt Fri 03-Jun-11 20:47:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HystericalMe Fri 03-Jun-11 20:49:10

Look I'm on my own and I haven't shouted at him, I came here to get some perspective. So thanks.

HystericalMe Fri 03-Jun-11 20:50:43

No someone must have grabbed it at soon as it fell on the street, was a soft cuddly toy.

nzshar Fri 03-Jun-11 20:51:37

Look you have perspective now. The thing that was so precious to you should not have been in reach of a 3 year old and if it was it is your fault

SunshineisSorry Fri 03-Jun-11 20:53:58

blimey, dont you lot ever make a parenting mistake - OP, perspective is, you were upset, rather than scream and shout at your child you did what is recommended, you removed yourself from the situation to calm down, then felt shitty about it, which of course you would. Go give him a cuddle and dont beat yourself up about it.

nzshar Fri 03-Jun-11 20:54:57

Yes make plenty of parenting mistakes but blame myself not a 3 year old!

chicletteeth Fri 03-Jun-11 20:56:48

It's your fault, but I understand your sadness.
Go kiss him and tell him you love him and put him to bed.

pinkstarlight Fri 03-Jun-11 21:01:47

sounds like your having a rough day,little kids can be hard work but you know what you should count your blessings that it wasnt your child that fell out of the window.

ChippingIn Fri 03-Jun-11 21:01:53

I'm sorry sad Can you go and have another look for it, maybe someone has put it on a window sill or something?

I would be livid too and would have done what you did, it's far preferable than shouting really isn't it.

He's almost 4, irrespective of whether it was yours or his he should not be throwing things out of the window, so he would be in trouble for that anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: