Talk

Advanced search

to stop bfing a six month old baby purely because I want my figure back

(134 Posts)
insertcleverusernamehere Fri 03-Jun-11 19:56:03

DH says I am. He's very pro bf, though DD has one ff at bedtime, has done since birth. I'm really neither here nor there, I would feel guilty NOT bfing but that doesn't mean I'm pro either. I eat sensibly with the odd treat of dark chocolate. My only indulgence is sweet coffee. I exercise regularly and I look like a chunky monkey.

balia Fri 03-Jun-11 19:57:35

Isn't bf supposed to help you lose weight? How will stopping help get your figure back?

MarianneM Fri 03-Jun-11 19:58:07

YABU

Stopping BFing won't make you lose weight, why do you imagine it will?

LineRunner Fri 03-Jun-11 19:59:03

Sorry, hang on, just pouring a glass of wine and settling down......

G1nger Fri 03-Jun-11 19:59:33

It's not up to your partner when you stop breastfeeding. It's up to you. You can choose to do it for whatever reason you choose - it's your body.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 03-Jun-11 19:59:50

BFing is SUPPOSED to help you lose weight. Lots of women I know, my mum and sister included, couldn't lose weight until they stopped bfing.

Northernlurker Fri 03-Jun-11 19:59:54

You won't get your figure back. You've had a baby - things have changed.
Tbh I think there are many reasons to stop breastfeeding but a selfish desire to benefit only yourself to the detriment of your child - 6 months is young - is just about the worst one I've heard hmm

cobweb1979 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:00:08

Umm... BFing uses TONNES of calories! I'm diabetic, and pumping (BFing didn't work for us) made my blood sugars plummet drastically!

Stop if you want to but I would have thought you'd be more likely to put ON weight when you do!

nethunsreject Fri 03-Jun-11 20:00:14

Just eat less.

Stop bfing if you;ve had enough, but not for your 'figure'. You are probably bigger because youve recently had a kid!

meltedchocolate Fri 03-Jun-11 20:01:06

I think if your H wants you to continue you should seriously talk to him about this, cos your DC is his baby, but it is your body and you need to compromise. Obviously it is your final decision but his feelings should be considered. Stopping wont help you lose weight though.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 03-Jun-11 20:01:20

northerlurker, ok, what detriment would that be if she's already 6 months?

BluddyMoFo Fri 03-Jun-11 20:01:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PebblesAndWine Fri 03-Jun-11 20:02:23

YANBU. It's up to you when you stop and for what reason BUT you might regret it once you have stopped. I stopped for my wedding and wish i had carried on.

meltedchocolate Fri 03-Jun-11 20:03:12

haha, that makes it sound like I am saying your H has rights over your body because it is his baby. I am not. I just meant you need to discuss why he does wnat it and why you don't. Is it really just about figure? (though like everyone has said, that will not be keeping your weight on)

SpeedyGonzalez Fri 03-Jun-11 20:04:00

Yes, YABU. besides, most bf women start to lose more weight after the 6m point.

You won't be bf forever, and you needn't be overweight forever. Just relax and enjoy this time with your baby, and don't let anyone make you think you're unattractive because of the extra weight.

And bfing gets so much better the longer you do it - it's a lovely, lovely way to connect with an older baby. And you will thank me when she starts teething/ is poorly and wants nothing but your milk.

My motherhood mantra: Relax and enjoy.

whackamole Fri 03-Jun-11 20:04:27

I don't see any problem with it. She's 6 months old, not 6 weeks!

Your body, your choice. Although I also don't think it will help you lose weight.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 03-Jun-11 20:04:46

I am sure I'm not the only MNer here with this experience - has NOBODY found they lost weight only once they stopped bfing?

Serenitysutton Fri 03-Jun-11 20:04:47

I think this is quite common. As a poster said above bf is supposed to help you lose weight but it doesn't work for many. It also depends on how you want to lose weight- a good friend uses quite extreme dieting and she wouldn't be able to do those diets whilst bf. She did 6 months, desperatly unhappy about her figure, then gave up and got to the weight she wanted in 6 weeks. Happy happy.

chicletteeth Fri 03-Jun-11 20:05:08

Your body, do what you like.

FWIW, I've breastfed all of mine, the third for longest and I didn't lose weight with him. I did with the first two, but it was due to a will of steel and just generally being good (whilst still being allowed a little treat which BF does allow you to do)

I was so starving with DS3, and finally, unlike with DS1 and 2, I caved in and ate. When I stopped, my appetite normalised and I lost some weight

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:05:28

I don't think stopping breastfeeding will necessarily help you lose weight. i lost the rest of my baby weight between nine and twelve months (I stopped bf at 4 months as my milk dried up), so I think losing baby weight is something that just takes time and your method of feeding is pretty much irrelevant.

Northernlurker Fri 03-Jun-11 20:05:33

The benefits of breastfeeding continue after six months.

RitaMorgan Fri 03-Jun-11 20:05:54

Some women seem to lose weight while breastfeeding, some keep hold of some chub in case of famine - I am in the latter category grin However, stopping is no guarantee you will lose weight, and you can diet and exercise while breastfeeding.

If you've had enough of breastfeeding though, you don't have to justify stopping. By getting to 6 months you've done better than most people!

If you stop feeding and don't lose weight though, how would you feel? If you'd still be ok about stopping then I'd go for it.

Highlander Fri 03-Jun-11 20:06:53

I BF my DSs for 18 and 25 months each.

I farkin hated BFing but felt too guilty to stop.

Do what you want to do - you're the one making the effort after all smile

stripeywoollenhat Fri 03-Jun-11 20:07:19

yanbu. you should stop bf whenever you want, it doesn't matter why you want to. it's your body.

insertcleverusernamehere Fri 03-Jun-11 20:07:36

The Sabbath is starting now, can't check back till sundown tomorrow. THank you all for your input x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now