Advanced search

to think that as the drains were blocked when i moved in a yr ago that LL should do something??

(7 Posts)
glendathegoodwitch Fri 03-Jun-11 16:05:47

i am in tears cos i just cant cope with this poxy shitty house that jack built that i moved into 10mths ago - everything from heating, hot water, slow slow drainage, electrical wiring..... you get the jist

well the drains have always been slow and when we first moved in i pulled the agent up about it - yeah yeah just need to clear them out with drain umblocker..... 3 more calls over the past 10 mths and 2 plumbers coming to have a look and pretty much say they cant do owt because theres no manhole as the extension has been built over it and then last night the toilet blocked good n proper

we have spent hours trying to plunge it and it has all backed up into the shower so we have no toilet or shower since 7pm last night - called emergency plumber and same story cant do owt - no manhole - can jet it in daylight at £60 per half hour + £90 jet fee

cannot afford that in any way shape or form

spoke to agent 3 times today and they are supposedly getting their plumber out and have said he will contact us directly and now its an hour before end of office hours and im panicking as i cant cope with a weekend with no toilet or shower

when ive spoken to the agent they have made out tenant is responsible for drains but it wasnt me who has misued the drains and pointed this out within a week of moving in - am i liable or is the LL?????

ive had a shit 2 weeks after losing a baby so been off work but back on monday, rowing with hubbie cos im so stressed but cant explain it - kids just stay our of my way and im crying at everything!!!!

fucking shitty twatty pissin house i wish id never moved in thank dog we leaving in august!!!! sorry for the rant!!!

please any advice or experience of this??????

MitchiestInge Fri 03-Jun-11 16:38:14

Can you get it repaired yourself and take it out of the rent?

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-11 16:51:11

mitchiest unfortunately things don't work like that. To withhold rent puts op in vulnerable positiion legally. Can you contact Council Environmental Health/Housing dept and ask for name of an approved plumber who will invoice the ll direct.

MotherSnacker Fri 03-Jun-11 16:51:26 have a helpline they will be able to advise. They may even have a local drop in centre.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

kaid100 Fri 03-Jun-11 18:28:21

I was once told that landlords don't have to do a damn thing if you phone them about a problem: it's only if you write them a letter that they legally have to do anything. I was advised to phone first so they know the problem as soon as it happens, and then send a followup letter beginning something like "As I mentioned when we spoke on the phone this morning..." or "Further to our phone conversation..."

heleninahandcart Fri 03-Jun-11 18:35:40

Post in legal for practical advise as to where you stand. Its not surprising you are crying all the time

Sorry for the loss of your baby

glendathegoodwitch Sat 04-Jun-11 09:43:29

thanks guys - the plumber came out at 6pm and was here for 3 hours with still no joy and no toilet plumbed in at all so we had to camp out last night!!!

hope it gets sorted today cant be doing with the hassle and im going out on a girlie night for the first time since christmas and dont want to be showerless!!!

fingers x'd

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: