Talk

Advanced search

To think my boss shouldn't give away my wine and replace it with mead!!

(22 Posts)
Spuddybean Fri 03-Jun-11 15:41:02

Not really sure how petty i am being (i am already in a foul mood anyway) but my boss gave a bottle of pinot grigio which i was given to me as a thank you by a client. She had some people over to the ofice last night for an event and gave them my wine as a thank you.
It hasn't been mentioned but a bottle of nasty mead has been put where it was.
AIBU to ask her to buy me another?

Punkatheart Fri 03-Jun-11 15:42:50

No you are not being unreasonable. It belonged to you for work done - what a cheek to recycle it!

IreneHeron Fri 03-Jun-11 15:43:38

No, YANBU, it was yours.

Firawla Fri 03-Jun-11 15:43:54

yanbu that is rude, i would ask her for it and if she hands over the other one just say no, mine was such&such, not this...?

youmeatsix Fri 03-Jun-11 15:44:28

give away his lovely car and replace it with a clapped out old banger grin

ajandjjmum Fri 03-Jun-11 15:45:39

Bloomin' cheek. If she felt she had to steal it, she should have replaced it with like or something better.

TheCrackFox Fri 03-Jun-11 15:51:20

A tad rude.

What does Mead actually taste like?

Spuddybean Fri 03-Jun-11 15:52:01

oh good - it's not just me being a fussy wino then! I mentioned it to another (middle manager) who has said he'll buy me another. He made an excuse saying 'you know what she's like'.

She thinks eveyone should do whatever she wants. Once she asked me to come in and unload a delivery on a Sat. I work an hourly rate anyway so i said yes and i would just include it in my weekly hours. She got angry and said no she wouldn't pay me i should do it for free, so i said no then!

Spuddybean Fri 03-Jun-11 15:52:31

thecrackfox - i'm hoping not to find out!!

ZombiePlan Fri 03-Jun-11 15:53:08

Who on earth drinks mead (apart from elves in Tolkien books, that is)? It's foul stuff <<boak>>

As she hasn't admitted either having taken the wine or replacing it with the mead, you can't really raise the issue with her directly. But you don't want her to think that it's ok to just take your stuff whenever it suits and if you accept the mead I think she might perceive it as a tacit go-ahead to do the same in future. So I'd send an email to the people in your department telling "whoever has misplaced their bottle of mead" that you've put in by the kettle (or in whatever communal place you have) for them to pick up. Sadly I think you've seen the last of your wine, though...

TheMonster Fri 03-Jun-11 15:53:29

Firawla's idea was good.

I might loudly walk around saying 'has anyone seen my wine?' grin

katvond Fri 03-Jun-11 15:55:49

I actually drank it on a medieval night out, vile stuff so OP YANBU
I'd be well miffed

TheCrackFox Fri 03-Jun-11 15:57:02

You never know Spuddy but it might be quite nice. In saying that the only way I would give up a bottle of Pinio is if you took it from my cold, dead, hands.

Spuddybean Fri 03-Jun-11 15:58:02

i remember my cousins medieval themed wedding (truly awful) had it but i smuggled in my own dry white and hid it under the table so i never braved tasting the stuff!!

the colour is enough to put me off - reminiscent of a dark strong wee.

melezka Fri 03-Jun-11 15:58:21

I like mead. But it can taste like a bit of a cross between wine and cider, or it can taste a bit - dusty, is how I'd describe it. (Distilled mead tastes like meths.) The problem is there are no vintages, so you are comparing a nice pinot grigio with a sort of plonk equivalent.

shock at your boss.

TrillianAstra Fri 03-Jun-11 15:59:59

If someone borrows something of yours wihtout clearing it with you first they shuld

a) be very apologetic
b) replace it (quickly) with something equivalent or BETTER

olderandwider Fri 03-Jun-11 16:00:08

YANBU

Everyone knows mead tastes of badgers.

Spuddybean Fri 03-Jun-11 16:02:48

someone here has inferred i shouldn't have put it in the communal fridge. does that mean people can eat my sandwiches too??

Tarenath Fri 03-Jun-11 16:37:25

YANBU to annoyed at your boss.

However mead, the good stuff anyway, is one of the more awesome drinks out there. Much better than a good wine IMO

Mind you I'm Norse so I'm biased grin

kaid100 Fri 03-Jun-11 16:39:46

Yup, I think it is reasonable to ask for another wine the same.

EricNorthmansMistress Fri 03-Jun-11 17:01:13

Why didn't you take the wine home? Why was it in the fridge? Do you drink wine at work? <jealous>

ZombiePlan Fri 03-Jun-11 21:07:07

Well, that depends on whether anything in the communal fridge is seen as a free-for-all or not... I'm assuming that as in all offices in which I've ever worked the fridge is just seen as a place where people can put stuff that they want to remain cool.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: