Talk

Advanced search

to still be feeling quite cross with my partner and my friend's husband?

(21 Posts)
CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 09:37:07

Last night my friend and her husband came over for dinner. I am not a very good cook, but put a lot of effort into making a nice meal, and my friend (who IS a very good cook) brought lovely salads and bits with her.

Her husband turned up late (not his fault he got stuck at work), but eventually we all sat down outside and had food, wine etc, all having a nice time. Then, immediately after eating, her husband said to my partner "Right - let's you and me go down to the pub", and they DID leaving me and my friend with all the washing up and the kids!

AIBU to think this was rude and to still be feeling quite put out? We had plenty of wine and beer here and it was meant to be a nice evening TOGETHER.

ScarletOHaHa Fri 03-Jun-11 09:44:28

YANBU I think this is rude too. If they return the favour, I suggest you and your friend pop out for a cocktail.

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 09:46:28

Thank you! My partner doesn't seem to see the problem and said "I didn't realise you'd mind". Well I do mind a bit. Like the cocktail idea grin.

McPie Fri 03-Jun-11 09:47:29

Wow that was rude, next time have a girls night and leave them with the kids at short notice. grin

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 09:53:24

Good! Am going to tell my partner that it was, indeed, very rude cos mumsnet agrees with me. wink

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 09:54:02

(2 people counts as "mumsnet agreeing with me", btw).

milkand2sugars Fri 03-Jun-11 09:58:07

YANBU try and arrange another evening together then you and your friend should leave them to do the clearing up whilst you go out for a few girlie drinks.

clam Fri 03-Jun-11 10:03:03

Make that 3 people. I would have nipped the idea right in the bud by giving deathstares to DH saying "I don't think so, guys. There's a small matter of the washing up if you've got any spare time."

Out of interest, are you still speaking to your dh? I'd be furious that he'd gone along with this idea.

IHateMarlo Fri 03-Jun-11 10:05:16

I'd have broken his neck, both of them!
[Though in our house it's much more likily that it would be me going to pub and leaving him with the sorting out, why not 99% chance that I would have cooked]

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 10:05:35

I am being extremely adult about the whole thing sulking like a child.

BlueFergie Fri 03-Jun-11 10:13:05

God I would have been pissed and I wouldn't have been quiet about it either. DH would have got a filthy look and a 'if you think your leaving me with all the washing up and the kids after I did the cooking you are very seriously mistaken and obviously don't know me at all.'
You should have put your foot down immediatly. Although I can't believe they were so inconsiderate to go in the first place. Terrible manners. What does friend think of her husband? If DH had done this at someone elses I would have been mortified (and also told him he wasn't going anywhere).

Dozer Fri 03-Jun-11 10:15:04

Yanbu!

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 10:15:41

I SHOULD have said something, but I don't know - I didn't want to be rude (ha! the irony!) to someone else's husband! My friend was pissed off too,but I think we were both too taken aback to say anything at the time.

IloveJudgeJudy Fri 03-Jun-11 10:16:32

YANBU. How rude of both of them! I think the friend's DH was rude to leave if he'd been invited to dinner. Your house is not an hotel.

TheMonster Fri 03-Jun-11 10:16:57

YANBU. We had people round earlier in the week and my friend's husband suggested it but I nipped the idea stright in the bud.

MumblingRagDoll Fri 03-Jun-11 10:18:12

What an idiot! Definately organise another meal and pre-plan with yor mate to run off for drinks yourself!

Dropdeadfred Fri 03-Jun-11 10:19:31

Disgustingly rude! YANBU!
I would have said 'is it our alcohol or our company that you have a problem with?'

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 10:20:09

My partner is now claiming he only went as he didn't want to be rude to friend's husband who he doesn't know all that well. Huh.

clam Fri 03-Jun-11 10:22:20

Humph, but it was OK for the friend's husband to be rude to you, who'd just hosted him for a meal?

SunshineisSorry Fri 03-Jun-11 10:22:40

So rude, be the last time he came to my house, thats for sure

CRS Fri 03-Jun-11 10:38:45

Her husband has left his sunglasses here. Might keep them. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now