Talk

Advanced search

TO SAY I LIKE THE BBC....but the near £300 license fee needs questioning..Lets question

(422 Posts)
ScousyFogarty Fri 03-Jun-11 09:35:04

BBC and COMPULSORY LICENSE FEE...(Paid by rich and poor alike.)

It has been suggested that the Beebs automatic cash-flow from rich and poor, should be looked at as the fee gets closer to £300 a year.

Victoria Derbyshire mentions this on her TWITTER site. (Dont know if she has ever done it on her programme.?)

You will notice that when a big name has a book out; they get interviewed on many BBC TV and radion shows. (They are usually rich and could be charged a fee for the free book plug.)

There will be many other ideas as to how the license could be REDUCED or the money RAISED by other means.

Do you have any ideas. ? Or are we going to sit back and watch the license fee go to £300 a year? (Its food for thought.

Victoria Derbyshire and Gabby Logan may well have ideas on this . Ask them if you feel like doing so.

troisgarcons Fri 03-Jun-11 09:36:35

Personally I'd scrap it and force the BBC to advertise. We rarely have BBC on, usually sky so I fail to see why I should pay for something I don't use.

Tee2072 Fri 03-Jun-11 09:36:58

How is £145.50 close to £300?!?!

Your math is not like my math.

ForeverNamechanging Fri 03-Jun-11 09:38:42

I don't watch any bbc channels and really resent paying the fee

kw1986 Fri 03-Jun-11 09:39:45

They should just show adverts like everyone else. Or when we all go digital perhaps make it subscription based or something.

Sky or Virgin Media would never be allowed to charge a compulsary fee to everyone in the UK to pay for themselves, so why is the BBC allowed to do it even though there's many people who don't watch ANY BBC channels or listen to any of their radio channels.

It really bugs me.

MamaChocoholic Fri 03-Jun-11 09:42:30

it's not anything near £300.

but we use bbc lots.

R4/R6 in the mornings.
ds1 can watch cbeebies without loads of adverts
news.bbc.co.uk daily
sometimes get a chance to watch bbc1/2 in the evenings.

all good value for what we pay.

McPie Fri 03-Jun-11 09:43:47

Well I dont pay £300 for mine, works out about £12ish a month. We pay more for sky and watch far more on it, the aerial is not even connected to my tv any more so everything goes through the sky box. I say make them advertise, the other channels do and produce/show far better programs than the BBC.

smokinaces Fri 03-Jun-11 09:45:56

It is annoying paying for it, when I watch so little on the BBC. But I do listen to Radio 1 daily so I guess thats part of my subscription contribution.

To be honest, I hardly notice it anymore it just goes out of my bank account monthly.

But £145 isnt even half of this £300 you say about - inflation much?!!?

fedupofnamechanging Fri 03-Jun-11 09:47:23

I hardly watch anything on the BBC (I can only think of Dr Who, for the kids not me, honest. I'd not willingly pay £300 per year for the privilege. Would like to be able to opt out as I mostly use Sky or watch DVD's.

A lot of what is on the BBC is total shite (Eastenders anyone?) and I don't see why I should be forced to pay for it

ScousyFogarty Fri 03-Jun-11 09:47:50

TEE IS IT REALY £145? well I am sorry if I made that mistake. But a £145 would be a fortune to a poor person and it is COMPULSORY..

.Lookl we need to look at ways of getting the license fee monkey off poor peoples back

I wrote to the BBC TRUST....they said "we realise the License fee is a burden to some people (bUT THEY WOULD NOT GO FURTHER THAN THAT.

lETS HAVE SOME IDEAS AND i WILL PUT THEM to the BBC TRUST and sympathetic MPs etc.

katvond Fri 03-Jun-11 09:47:59

As it gone up? Thought it was £145, where did you get that from OP?

BehindLockNumberNine Fri 03-Jun-11 09:52:28

£145 is not even half of £300, stop being so alarmist!!

I don't really resent paying for the BBC - we watch a lot of BBC, the dc love Cbeebies, we listen to BBC on the radio etc. (plus my dsis works there so we are quite bbc loyal blush)
We don't pay for sky or cable tv.

However, I would quite like the BBC to start doing advertising (and reduce or scrapthe license fee) as sometimes I am desperate for a coffee or a toilet break but don't want to miss any of the programme I am watching. Those advert breaks are very handy!

TheFlyingOnion Fri 03-Jun-11 09:52:44

scousy doesn't let FACTS get in the way of a GOOD THREAD, do you SCOUSY?

Here's an idea if you don't like paying the licence fee - get rid of your TV. I did, 4 years ago and have never looked back grin

ForeverNamechanging Fri 03-Jun-11 09:53:08

whats WITH THE rANdOm capitals?... there's NO reason FOR IT and IT follows NO logical PATTERN

silverfrog Fri 03-Jun-11 09:55:54

Scousy - it is not compulsory.

it is only compulsory if you want to watch television live, or recrod live as it is shown.

if, for eg, you watch only via iplayer or ther catch-up services, then you do not.

or, of course, you could not watch at all.

tv viewing is not compulsory.

Scholes34 Fri 03-Jun-11 09:56:07

I would happily remortgage my house to pay the BBC licence fee.

TheFlyingOnion Fri 03-Jun-11 09:56:14

Thats SCOusy, FOREver

SCOUSY the FEE is only COMPULSORY if you are using the service, ie HAVE a TV.

You may as well say that PAYMENT is COMPULSORY at the check out in Tesco. Of course it is, you want the food, don't you?

If you want to spend your DAYS writing to the TRUST then that's your lookout.

And please STOP SHOUTING.

katvond Fri 03-Jun-11 09:57:39

Sorry OP but get facts right before you post I nearly shit myself thinking it had gone up. £145 isn't as bad is you pay monthly.
Stop scaremongering smile

flowery Fri 03-Jun-11 09:57:43

40p a day is good value as far as I'm concerned.

Tee2072 Fri 03-Jun-11 09:58:58

It took me about 2 seconds to google the actual price. But don't let facts get in your way.

Lunabelly Fri 03-Jun-11 10:00:18

AAARRGGGHHH....just the thought of the TV licence makes me feel all killy and want to poo in their corporate handbags. And they're rude fuckers as well, they'll send you a snotty letter, you'll phone them and say "Errr, what's this? I pay by DD etc etc" and instead of apologising for scaring the fuckshit out of you with their "Kill all your firstborn chickens" mentality, they snot at you.
Kill kill kill the licence I say! Make it die a thousand horrible deaths! Then poo on it!

Then the BBC will show a dismembered corpse PRE-WATERSHED on a Sunday night, you complain and they tell you you should monitor your kids' viewing and I'll say that "If you can't channel hop on the terrestrial channels at about 8.30 on a Sunday night without being confronted by a shot of a dismembered corpse then NO WONDER THIS COUNTRY IS FULL OF PSYCHOTIC SHITBISCUITS"

Rant over. As you were.

ScroobiousPip Fri 03-Jun-11 10:00:50

V good value considering the huge range of programmes the BBC puts out on tv, radio and their website etc. Really wish we had a licence fee here - I hate the endless ad breaks and cheapo US content on NZ tv. So much so that, irony of ironies, now it is free I don't have a tv anymore.

ScousyFogarty Fri 03-Jun-11 10:00:51

KARMA yes people who dont watch the BBC do feel aggrieved. I watch TV and listen to BBC Ratio 4 a lot. (A middle class station) The middle classes will have no trouble with the £145 a year license fee.

Sorry again about the £300 mistake. (Its early in the morning. I did know it was almost £3 a week. Not peanuts to a poor family) And the BBC stars shold have a view on this...They are picking up large fees from license payers money... So, Wogan, Marr, Anne Robinson, Derbyshire, Logan. Nicky Campbell and Paxman and uncle John Humphries and all......you must have an opinion on this.....speak now or forever hold your peace. (But dont hold Mariella Frostrop)

katvond Fri 03-Jun-11 10:01:09

I agree Tee as my DH said when I told him don't believe everything you read on MN

claig Fri 03-Jun-11 10:01:20

Scousy have you been on the sauce, early?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: