Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour using my drive

(6 Posts)
ILoveyouMum Thu 02-Jun-11 19:27:28

Hi First time i've posted but been lurking for a while.

I have a neighbour 4 houses down, the whole family is lovely, got to know them through the kids as they all used to hang out in the street together,

I don't see them alot, say hello in passing, maybe stop for a chat but I know that If I had a prob I could knock on their door and they would help me if they could,

They have used my drive before on the odd occasion before as they have 3 cars and only room for 2, One on the drive and one parked accross it, They usually park the extra car on another neighbours drive as it is a end house and has room for 4 cars. They did ask to use mine occosionaly and I said yes of course as long as they ask as I may have people coming, I do not have a car myself but most of my family do and need somewhere to park when visiting,

Anyways last Friday the dad knocked on my door and asked if they could use my drive over the bank holiday weekend as they were going away for the weekend and the neighbour that usually lets them was having a party so needed their whole drive,

I said yes, no problem as wasn't expecting any visitors and if someone did pop by to see me they could park across the drive,

They came back on Monday but are still using my drive, I don't really mind to be honest as I do feel that a car on the drive makes the house a bit more secure, What is pissing me off however is that they havn't asked if it's still ok to park there, If they just knocked on the door and said, "hi xxx is it ok to use your drive tonight" I would be ok with that.

It feels like i'm being taken advantage of tbh, I do not want to fall out with them but I also do not want to have to knock on their door to ask them to move their car if I have more than one person visiting,

I have been hoping the last few days to run into them and say something funny like, "I'll have to start charging you rent for my drive" but I havn't seen them.

I'm off to watch BGT, sons gonna have my laptop while its on so if anyone comments I won't be back till 9.

EricNorthmansMistress Thu 02-Jun-11 19:53:00

So why don't you charge rent for your drive smile

YANBU, why can't they park on the road? confused but forgetting to get round to moving my car would be something I might do non maliciously, so I guess you need to remind them and see how they react. It is indeed cheeky though.

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 02-Jun-11 19:55:12

Put a note through their door "I thought you were moving your car off my drive on Monday?"

onebigchocolatemess Thu 02-Jun-11 19:59:31

well, you have been so accommodating in the past they probably just assumed it would still be OK?

By the sounds of it you have the kind of relationship that if you needed the car moved you could go and ask and they would do it?

It no biggy really?

smudgethepuppydog Thu 02-Jun-11 20:00:39

There's a whole website called parkatmyhouse, peopel make good money from renting out parking spaces so yp, tell them they owe you rent wink

ILoveyouMum Thu 02-Jun-11 21:14:39

Yes I have been accomodating in the past but only for a night or two,

The car hasn't been there constantly this week, it goes about 8 in the morning but is back there by half 4/5ish,

I think I will give till the weekend then will have to say something, I hate being put in this position simply by doing a favour for someone,

We are at the end of a cul de sac so apart from parking over the end of our drives there is no other parking as cars need to turn around so extra parking on the street causes major problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: